• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Copying commercial VHS movies to DVD

Seano

I have hundreds of VHS movies that I've purchased over the years that are now starting to deterioate due to age. I want to put them on DVD disks but can't get past the copy guard. I sure can't afford to buy all of these movies on disk now. Anybody know how to copy them from VHS to DVD?

Id like to know the answer too. I have alot of old vhs tapes that i would like to copy but i cant. Also would anyone out there know where i can find a dvd copy of the movie The Town That Dreaded Sundown?

Of course the best way to do this is with a DVD Recorder. I have been able to successfully copy all of my VHS tapes to DVD, but you have to get past the analog Macrovision. That outdated protection is actually stronger than you might think. The best way to do it is to hook your VCR up to an RF Modulator using Composite Video (Yellow, Red, White) and have the output from the Modulator (a standard Cablevision Coax cable) going into the DVD Recorder. RF Modulators are designed to hook up DVD players to older TV's that dont have Composite, but they get a whole new use here. The changing of the video signals leaves the Macrovision out and the Recorder accepts the signal as a TV channel. Although this may compromise some quality, how good were your VHS originals in the first place.

Crusher's method may well work.
but if you want to retain as much quality as possible and keep the stereo audio too,then you need to connect your vhs recorder to dvd recorder using a macrovision remover device such as the copymate.you connect it using scart cables.
google for tvtradesat,enter the site and go to section 14.

or go directly here:
this model is sold in the uk:
http://www.tvtradesat.com/site/section14/index.htm

I have used both capture cards and standalone recorders to digitize VHS to DVD. Rendering times for capture cards can be very time consuming and resource intensive to say the least. When transferring a VHS, you are doing this in real time. With a capture card its the length of the tape plus rendering the entire project...multiple hours later you may have a usable product. Or you can simply use a standalone recorder and its basically the length of the tape plus finalizing your project.

Personally, I like standalone recorders for the sake of simplicity. Before I get flamed, I realize there's a uber group of people out there that will only use a capture card and I respect that. First you must find a recorder that has hackable firmware, i.e. Lite-On 5005. These can be had for as little as eighty dollars. Go to videohelp.com to search for firmware notes on this model and many others. Be advised that Lite-On produced a 5115 model that can NOT be firmware hacked.

By changing the firmware on the 5005 allows you to be Macrovison free, region free, and this will add a three hour recording mode. If you cannot find a model to suit your needs, then you must locate a digital video stabilizer to bypass Macrovision. Do a Google search or you can find them on eBay for as little as twenty bucks plus shipping.

Keep in mind that your backup is only as good as the source. If the VHS unit is damaged, your backup will reflect the condition of the tape. BTW, I have successfully backed up many (and I mean many) tapes to disc with excellent results. Sometimes I would dare say my transfers are better than some cheap commercial ripoffs.

:bowdown::bowdown:WE'RE NOT WORTHY:bowdown::bowdown:
SLYSOFT is the SHIZNIT!!!

VHS to DVD

I use a "Sima CT-2" device. You need a seperate VHS player and a DVD recorder. Go from your VHS device, through the CT-2, and into your DVD recorder.. All protection is removed and you have a copy as good as your tape was. Same situation as above though, You need to do this in 1:1 time. But it does give you a chance to watch all those old movies again. I did about 200 of my tapes this past winter, there are a lot of movies that will never be released on DVD. And the quality of the tapes is fading fast.... Google for the Sima, I bought mine for under $50. Small price to pay to save all those tapes, and I could donate them to the local library afterwards.
Jim

Copying VHS to DVD

Thank you one and all! I just ordered the CT-2 from one of Amazon.com's links. It is used but $59.95 plus $4.99 shipping. I'll post again after I use it. The reviews are good.

Finding a VCR and capture card without AGC would be a nice method. The Macrovision works in (at least) 3 main ways. Anyone with links to specific documentation, please submit.

1) A low-frequency 'drift current' is introduced, in order to mess with the automatic gain control on most equipment. The irony is that it can make even the originals look bad, even though in theory this shouldn't happen. (very old analog and new digital TVs sometimes hate it)

2) A 'overvoltage' is introduced into the video pulse, which causes problems recording. It swings too far to the - and + compared to a normal signal.

3) There are signatures that all digital recording devices are required to detect. If detected, they refuse to allow copying or sometimes even VIEWING! The flip side of this is laptops with DVD-ROM drives, that if you have a TV hooked up to them, refuse to play. Of course VideoLan has no such problems. LOL I'm sure the hardware company and the publisher of the player program thank them with burning effigies.

BTW: Nice, how they have a legally mandatory product, with patent protection and guarenteed revenue? Bah, Macrovision has to be like a certain famous contractor in relation to politician's friends. They suck!

VCR To DVD

I did a google search for "macrovision on VCR" about 8 months ago and found a wonderful unit for $24.99. It's called a "digital video stabilizer". Has no make or model on it? I'm looking at it now.
About the size of two packs of smokes and runs on a 9 volt battery. It really works well. :) Just can't remember what website I got it on.

Hehe I bet the schematics to the device have less than 15 solder points.
All you need is a homemade video amplifier that's configured to eliminate the analog parts. Then just use a digital device that doesn't know what Macrovison is... <cough cough> although I'd surely not be telling you to find one or use it, since that is a bad thing that only mobsters and antisocial people do!

If they get annoying enough, just make an ADC since modern CPUs are more than fast enough to directly convert a stream of voltages into, say an WAV file. Maybe even something faster than audio. ;)

I did a google search for "macrovision on VCR" about 8 months ago and found a wonderful unit for $24.99. It's called a "digital video stabilizer". Has no make or model on it? I'm looking at it now.
About the size of two packs of smokes and runs on a 9 volt battery. It really works well. :) Just can't remember what website I got it on.

Here's one of a few websites that carries DVS's:

http://quaindinc.stores.yahoo.net/bddigvidstab.html

:bowdown:WE'RE NOT WORTHY:bowdown:
SLYSOFT is the SHIZNIT:D

vcr to dvd

JUST read through this. found 'a' site from the U.K. selling a machine..guaranteed to work...

IF they answer my email I'll let you all know.

Back