• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

copy protection discussion

If you dig hard enough there is DX-10 codes out there for XP users but be warned if you mess up your system then you are on your own. I'm on Vista 64 and have yet to look back and all my apps run well to so that's option @2 if you want support from MS.

How Long

How long do you think before the standard dvd is obsolete.

I would say about 5 years (until BluRay and/or HD-DVD will become cheaper for the customers)...

Most likely but it was asked on being obsolete not that the new format will be cheaper.

How long do you think before the standard dvd is obsolete.

Obsolete? VHS tapes are still around and Blu-Ray/HD is still up in the air. Consumers won't buy D/L because of the pricing and they're dirt cheap compared to Blu-Ray/HD. I wouldn't expect DVD's to be obsolete anywhere in the near future.

Most likely but it was asked on being obsolete not that the new format will be cheaper.

DVD's will never be obsolete, but they will become a minority if the prices for BluRay and HD-DVD get cheaper.
But a serious prerequisite for obsolescence can be seen in the prices for the new formats becoming cheaper.

If we define obsolete as "stopped being produced" - I'd say 7-10 years. HOWEVER - I think the next gen players will support them indefinately. (backwards compatable)

-W

But you seem to ignore the most important fact:
The discussion is about DX10 not being offered officially by Microsoft for Windows XP!
While we all probably use Windows XP here, it is almost 7 year old. Win2000 and WinME are only one year older - are you going to start complaining about incompatibility with WindowsME - which has never had anywhere near the support given to XP?

DVD isn't going obsolete, just like CD isn't. Sure it may not be the primary home-video format forever, but it will still have a market. Just like 3.5" disks are still around to be purchased - and yet 5.25" has been completely obsolete for some time now.

Last edited:
Back