• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Copy Freezes

Anyway, I'm not really sure what country you're in, but the firmware page can be found by going to http://www.nec.com/cgi-bin/products/products.cgi?cat_id=PC0011
and choosing you country, drive, support, and firmware updates.

The latest firmware for that drive is 1.07.

I note the first thing stated is "The provided firmware upgrade should not be used with external USB / FireWire drives or with OEM drives from HP, DELL, Medion, Fujitsu, Siemens, Gateway, or any other OEM manufacturer. If you wish to update the firmware on an OEM drive, contact the dealer or manufacturer."

visit http://support.necam.com/Optical/downloads/FlashFirmware/readme.asp?ID=9 for full instructions

And the second thing stated is

" 1. This is a Windows-based flash utility. Using "Add or Remove Programs" on the "Control Panel", verify that neither of the following programs are installed on the system. These applications must be un-installed prior to proceeding or the firmware update will fail.

+ Intel Ultra-ATA Storage Driver
+ Intel Application Accelerator

Note: These applications can be reinstalled after the firmware has been updated. The latest files can be found at www.intel.com . "

Last edited:
Since your burner is basically dead due to the bad firmware update, I would try to update again as you really have nothing to lose.
By the way, I would not have Anydvd running while I'm attempting a firmware update.

Provided you're in the U.S., the download is here:
http://support.necam.com/Optical/downloads/FlashFirmware/fw/ND3550A_v107.exe

The instructions to follow are here:

http://support.necam.com/Optical/downloads/FlashFirmware/readme.asp?ID=9

If you need someone to talk you through it, contact NEC.

Last edited:
If a firmware update addresses a media compatibility issue, then, by definition, the update does in fact resolve a "burning problem" with that media. Moreover, firmware updates can improve existing write strategies; people who have tested firmware (for both companies and online sites) know this.

That's a vague and generalized claim (and can be said for a lot of things), whereas numerous tests provided by both firmware testers and the burning community offer proof.

There has been a number of instances where updating firmware fixed writing problems. In some odd cases a firmware update will actually decrease writing quality with specific media (but in general, firmware updates offer improvements in write quality, and in some cases they are significant improvements).

No, in actuality it does NOT resolve a burning problem. It only resolves the units compatibility with media. Nothing vague or generalized any more than stating that a firmware update will resolve a burning problem.
I'm sure there have been a "number of incidences" and "in general" cases where updating firmware has improved burning but that doesn't make it a solution in all cases.

No, in actuality it does NOT resolve a burning problem.

Yes, in fact, it can. Maybe I'm not understanding your definition of "problem". I'm talking about burn quality. And if it's bad, I consider that to be a problem. If you're saying a firmware update can never improve burn quality, then I could not possibly disagree more.
Yes, firmware updates can introduce compatibility with more media. However, it's not uncommon for a firmware update to improve write quality/strategies with media that could already be used with the burner. Pi/po/jitter, etc. . . .the scans do indicate whether write quality is improved if tested both before and after the firmware update. And on most boards/forums, the firmware is listed for a reason along with those scans.

It only resolves the units compatibility with media.

No.

Here is yet another Plextor example:

http://plextor.com/english/support/downloads/firm_760old.htm

Plextor said:
Version 1.03

Windows Upgrade Download (File Size: 770KB)

* Date posted: June 14, 2006
* Improved writing performance on DVD+R DL media.
* Improved writing performance on DVD-RW 1x media.
* Improved writing performance on CD-R media.
* Added support for some new DVD media

There's a distinct difference between "added support for some new DVD media" (compatibility) and "Improved writing quality on DVD media" (burn quality issues) from the other Plextor firmware history log I listed for the exact same drive:

Plextor said:
Version 1.05
Date posted: November 10, 2006
* Improved writing quality on DVD media.
* DVD-R DL 8x media is supported up to 8x writing
* Improved writing quality on CD media.
* DVD DL Stamp Disc is supported up to 16x read while Speed Read is ON.
* Improved AUTOSTRATEGY function's performance.
* Improved writing performance.
* Added support for Windows Vista. (Testing was done with Vista RC2. Full confirmed compatibility with Windows Vista cannot be guaranteed until the OS is released.)

oldjoe said:
any more than stating that a firmware update will resolve a burning problem

If it's updated to address specific media, then yes it does resolve burning issues. By burning issues, I mean burn quality . . .

but that doesn't make it a solution in all cases.

I never stated that.

If you were to write something akin to, "If you're a burning expert and notice in the firmware's history log (which isn't always provided) that the most recent firmware version doesn't really do anything significant or if you know from quality testing that the firmware update actually worsens burn quality with the blank media you're using (which is somewhat rare), then don't update your firmware"-- I would agree wholeheartedly. Otherwise, firmware updates can resolve burn quality issues, amongst other improvements.

Last edited:
Back