Copy DVD for play on computer

Discussion in 'CloneDVD' started by fingers, Dec 23, 2007.

1. fingers

fingers Member

Can I copy DVDs for play on my computer. I would like to have my DVD collection on my hard drive and play them over my home network to my TV. How can I use AnyDVD to copy the DVD so that play back is possible from the hard drive as opposed to a DVD?

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Just select dvd files instead of your burner in Clonedvd's output screen.

3. fingers

fingers Member

Ok...that's what I thought. Now the new questions are:

1. When selecting DVD files instead of .iso or direct to DVD, it creates two folders in the location I tell it. The 2 folders are:

AUDIO_TS (which is empty)
    VIDEO_TS (contains numerous files: .BUP, .VOB, .IFO

Is the fact that the AUDIO_TS folder empty normal?

2. When pointing Windows Media Center to the folder containing the above folders, Media Center finds the folders however, when I tell it to play the movie it says it cannot find anything. Any suggestions?

4. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

Answer to # 1 yes this is normal for CloneDVD2.

# 2 I have yet to really try this in my system but other dvd ripping software won't as well.

5. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Try selecting the video_ts folder. I don't use media center

6. fingers

fingers Member

Ok, I can try that. The idea here was to have a DVD library so that I could search, catalog etc my DVDs instead of having to look through all the DVDs on the shelf to find the one I want to play. I am sure I am not the only one that is trying to do this.

Presently I am trying this out with only one of my DVDs just to see if it works. Here is the folder structure I created:
    My Movies \ Movie Title 1 \ AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS.

The idea is to have each movie title in it's own folder under My Movies. Within each movie title folder would contain, AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS.

Should this work?

7. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

Considering that you can configure other folders for MCP yes but I have yet to get this to work myself.