Convert to blu-ray disc question

Discussion in 'CloneBD' started by Rob Valentino, Jan 24, 2023 at 5:32 PM.

1. Rob Valentino

Rob Valentino Active Member

Does anyone know why when Convert to Bluray Disc is checked, the max resulting size is 37GB (40mbps) when I select 50GB disc as a destination? Shouldn't I be able to max this to closer to 50GB?

Attached Files:

2. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

Because the resolution for each picture is 4x smaller. (1920 x 1080 vs. 3840 x 2160). So the file should be 4x smaller considering the same codec H265. But the codec for Bluray is H264 and is less efficient which makes the file bigger compared to the math I just provided.

3. cartman0208

cartman0208 Well-Known Member

Can you provide any details on the source?
    Like MediaInfo output.

4. Rob Valentino

I did not down grade the media at all

5. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

It's StarTrek VI which is a BD66. Converting it to BD will result in the 37GB as shown in the picture of the first post. There's nothing wrong with it.

6. Rob Valentino

7. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

My biggest BD100 is 95GB. When I check BD50 for converting the result is 48GB, when I check BD100 it increases to 49,1 GB. So pretty much 50%. You can check the AnyDVD status for the original size of your 4k movie.

8. cartman0208

cartman0208 Well-Known Member

Can't you move the slider in the screenshot to the right? That should increase the size...

9. goncal

goncal Well-Known Member

Blu-ray (level 4.1) has a maximum video bitrate of 40 mbps.
    Code:
    https://www.mediacollege.com/video/format/dvd/blu-ray.html
    You can select 100GB but for the disc to be spec compliant it must have max of 40 mbps.
    This is for BD

10. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

Thanks! That's exactly what CBD does when I maximize the file size for converting to BD. It converts to 40mbps.