• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Connecting PS3 to PC

elmatson

Is there a special usb cable to connect the ps3 to the pc to rip
blu ray movies to hdd?

Uhhhh, no. Ripping from the PS3 requires 1 of several methods. My recommendation is to format a fat32 external drive, grab a copy of SAK and install it on the PS3's other OS section, boot from it, and rip your Blu-ray to the external drive. Then you'll need to plug the external drive into your PC and reassemble the pieces with a command like this:

copy e:\blu* c:\nameofmovie.iso

e:\ is the external drive and c:\ is wherever you want to reassemble the ISO

The reason this is necessary is that fat32 only allows 4 gig chunks. So the large ISO gets split into parts when ripping. This is a pretty fast method and works quite well. I was using it for my own Blu-rays up until today.

That's one way. SAK can also transfer the ISO over the network to a windows file share if that's more your thing. That will take quite a while, however. Probably several hours as the network speed isn't overly fast.

Finally you can skip SAK altogether and go the linux route. I was doing this for a while but found it to be slower on my rips as I was using an NTFS formatted external drive. And since all I was doing was ripping, well, SAK is FAR easier to deal with. I've given instructions on how to make this concept work on the forum so do a search and you'll find it.

Personally, I recommend SAK. And beyond that, I recommend the new LG dual format drive for your PC. Then you can skip all this PS3 nonsense. :D

Great...

Sounds complicated... so, excuse my ignorance, but what does SAK stand for?

Did you really think you could just plug a cable into the PS3 and it would somehow spit out an ISO image magically? :) It's not that hard, believe me. SAK stands for Swiss Army Knife. Do a google search for PS3 SAK and you'll find it. Once it's installed on your PS3, you simply tell the PS3 to boot from Other OS and you get a menu of options. If you have a usb keyboard and a usb fat32 formatted drive plugged in, you simply select the option to output to a fat32 drive and you're good to go.

Could I add a quick question to this too.

Does SAK rip BD+ movies to a External Hard drive ok too.

Also would it rip region protected disks from a different region to that of the console (i'm guessing not on this one).

Yes to both questions. It just takes every single bit from the Blu-ray disc and dumps it into an ISO image. AnyDVD HD is required to deal with region coding and protection removal at that point.

Kinda New To All This, Please Help. Thanks

After using SAK, how do I load the PS3 Blu-ray ISO into AnyDVD HD once they're on my PC? Then how do I then burn a backup of my movies? What software, Nero? Is there some special settings I need to use when writing?

I'm using Windows Vista, PS3, buying a Blu-ray writer tomorrow. I got latest AnyDVD HD.

Thanks

P.S. Before all my GAMES get scratched can I back up them too using any software, then write them back onto a blu-ray disk?
If yes, what steps do I take for these backups. SAK 2 ISO 2 EXTHD 2 PC 2 NERO???

Complicated Questions HUH? Thanks for all that help with this.

Last edited:
Once you have the image on your computer's hard drive using the instructions I gave above, you need to mount it using Daemon Tools. AnyDVD will then automatically see it and remove all protection that it can. (BD+ is not going to be removed, so, if it has BD+ do not bother burning it right now as only very few people have had any success in playing back burned BD+ titles. Slysoft is working on a permanent solution to BD+ so hang in there.) Once its mounted and decrypted with AnyDVD, you can use Nero to copy it to a BD-R. But you can't just burn the ripped image...you need to let AnyDVD decrypt it and use the mounted/decrypted image to burn.

As for your second question, I have no idea but I seriously doubt it.

Thank you SamuriHL for your reply. A quick question, how come in WinXp it lets me recontruct the isos and in Windows vista it doesn't (says access denied or something)? I'm using this line in the command prompt:

COPY/B G:\Blu-Ray.aa + G:\Blu-Ray.ab + G:\Blu-Ray.ac + G:\Blu-Ray.ad + G:\Blu-Ray.ae + G:\Blu-Ray.af + G:\Blu-Ray.ag + G:\Blu-Ray.ah + G:\Blu-Ray.ai + G:\Blu-Ray.aj C:\Blu-Ray.iso

Is there setting I need to change in Vista for me to combine my SAK partials??? I hate to be bringing my 500gb FAT32 external drive to my slower older WinXp PC with a small hard disk drive (60 gig)! Then putting it on another external NTFS drive and transfer to my fast laptop with lots of memory. It's a freakin pain in the neck! And to do all this and I still need do mount it to Daemon Tools and run AnyDvd. Jajaja

Yea that sucks. I wouldn't want to do that either! Um, you don't really need to list out the separate parts like that. Just do this:

copy /b g:\Blu*.* c:\Blu-Ray.iso

When I was needing to rip from my PS3 that's the command I used and it worked fine.

how do ppl get there Blu Ray Rips so small like 6-8GB i tried bridge to terabithia cant get it smaller than 16GB using the leymans guide at the top. does copying to a fat32 external go faster then going to a windows share?

There's a guide to get them smaller, but, I've never seen one that isn't reencoded down that small. And yes, the external drive will be much faster than the network. Even if you have a gigabit network you're still looking at a couple hours comared to an hour or so on fat32. Although, I guess if you have gigabit even if it took 2 hours it'd be about the same as putting it on a fat32 drive and then recombining it. But, on 100mbps network you're looking at 3-4 hours.

Cool thanks for the responses, i have gigabit and it took 6 hours for 28GB for Bridge to Terabithia so imma try my next movie on a external HD, for some reason when i try to format my external HD windows only shows me NTFS is there a easy way to get to Fat32?

Holy crap! 6 hours?!?! Are you sure your switch is gigabit cause it should have been faster than that I think! Anyway, formatting a fat32 drive bigger than I think 30 or 40 gigs on Windows is a pain in the ass. My advice, which I just gave on the PS3 forum for SAK? Grab yourself a Linux Live CD and format it with that. Trust me, it'll save you a lot of frustration. You CAN do it from windows command line but even there it's a pain in the ass.

EDIT: In case you need to know how to do it in Linux, this should help:

http://www.zorge.net/?p=22

Last edited:
ya my switch is gigabit Netgear GS608 but anyway i know theres some 3rd party software that wil format my HD. I know 6 hours is to damn long thats why i'm trying a Fat32 HD.

I've read reports that the 3rd party formatted drives didn't play well in SAK, so, my advice is to try it, and if it doesn't work it's likely caused by how the drive was formatted. If you run into problems just post back here and I'll try to help out. I had this concept working just before my PS3 died and it worked great. Now that I have the LG drive I no longer have to do this crap myself, but, I don't mind helping those that want to get it working. The author of SAK is wicked nice. He posts over in the ps3news forum and has helped me out with some issues I was having.

And yes, 6 hours is WAYYYYYY too long. Any time you can watch the movie 3 times in the time it takes to rip it once...that's bad. ;)

i hate going to that site you mentioned i dont like giving them 5 dollars everytime i go to the site cause of all the advertisements, but i got my HD partitoined with Partition Magic and i'm Trying a 47GB bluray movie to see how this works, you said earlier the guys who got them to 8GB probably reencoded the movie would that degrade the quality of the movie?? if not i might have to look into that cause i wanna backup as many of my BR movies as i can on my 3.5 TB Server but if there 20-40GB each cant get very many movies on there lol

They have ads? :D Hadn't notied. :) Yes, reencoding to get them that small would definitely lose quality. Even stripping out the LPCM audio tracks and keeping just dolby digital woudn't get it down below 10 gigs for most of the movies I've seen. The method I've seen to reduce the size involves using tsremux. Basically you take the largest m2ts file, open it in tsremux, select the video and one audio track, and remake a new m2ts from that. Then you can use the new m2ts to create a new BD structure that can be played from an older PowerDVD version, or you can then make an ISO of that new file structure and mount it with Daemon Tools to play in new versions of PowerDVD. I've not had much luck with this idea so far. I also haven't had as much time to play around with it lately as I'd like.

i've been trying ot get Fantastic 4 Silver surfer its abut 47 gigs and its been 2 hours to a hard drive and still going lol i hope this one will go down in size when i'm done with it

Back