• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Confusion with Blu ray blanks

LeoR

I am about to order Verbatim Blu-ray discs but am confused about the terminology. For example the term LTH ( low to high ). What does that mean?
Other Verbatim discs don't have that in the description.

I am planning to use the discs to create slide shows and the occasional copy of a Blu ray movie . Would a 6X single layer disc be OK?

Any other info I should have?

Thanks,
LeoR

Avoid LTH if you can, they use organic dye, have a shorter shelf life and are not compatible with all players/writers

I am about to order Verbatim Blu-ray discs but am confused about the terminology. For example the term LTH ( low to high ).

This is an attempt to lower the costs of making Blu-Ray blanks by using existing machinery which makes DVD blanks.

The resulting Blu-Ray blanks look like DVD blanks, in that they are a darker blue color just like a DVD-R (because they use the same dye) and turn a lighter color when burned (also like a DVD-R). Hence the term "low to high."

Players and drives should be able to support them, but not all players and drives do. If you want to insure maximum compatibility, it's best to avoid them and use "true" Blu-Ray blanks made on BD-R specific machinery.

Blu ray disks

Thanks everyone for the replys. I will cancel my order for the LTH discs.
Another question if you don't mind. Is a single layer 25 GB disk sufficient to copy a Blu ray movie? It is more than enough for my slide shows.

Thanks everyone for the replys. I will cancel my order for the LTH discs.
Another question if you don't mind. Is a single layer 25 GB disk sufficient to copy a Blu ray movie? It is more than enough for my slide shows.

No and Yes. That depends on what size the format is they come in 50G media format as well so you need to check with Anydvd HD info when it comes up and see what size the media is that will tell you if it is a 25G or 50G BD media. And most I see are 50G BD media not the 25G as most might think. The 50G will cost more but if you want 1:1 copy then you either have to go 25G to 25G or 50G to 50G. But a 25G will fit a 50G media BD but not vise versa. What do you mean slide shows? Can you elaborate on that???

Actually the LTH bd-r's dont look like DVD's at all. (atleast not the verbatim LTH's i used for a while). They were a goldish like color, it's not only that they were made on an dvd assembly line; the major part is that they used ORGANIC DYE.

By slide show I mean using a program called Prosho Gold to make and burn a slide show of my photos. The program can vary the duration of each slide as well as the duration of the transition. The transition can be a simple fade-in and fade-out or many other styles. I also add music from a CD to the slide show.

Getting back to my question I know there are 25 & 50G BD-R blanks but I don't know how much space the average Blu-ray movie needs. I am hoping 25G will be enough so that I don't have to buy 25G AND 50G.

Thanks,
LeoR

I am hoping 25G will be enough so that I don't have to buy 25G AND 50G.

You can use BDRebuilder to take a 50GB Blu-ray to 25GB with good results though the re-encoding will take 6-8 hours (or longer) unless you have top end hardware and it takes a bit of setting up. BDRebuilder info here

I believe, Slysoft's soon to be released Slyce should be an option too. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

FYI, LTH = "Low To High" and refers to the reflectivity changing from low to high during the burning process, which is the opposite of normal. (see here)

Last edited:
Actually the LTH bd-r's dont look like DVD's at all. (atleast not the verbatim LTH's i used for a while). They were a goldish like color, it's not only that they were made on an dvd assembly line; the major part is that they used ORGANIC DYE.
The TDK and TY are also gold

Back