• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Confused

joecrow

Hi

I'm new here so apologies in advance if these are dumb questions but it is not clear to me, even after reading the help file, what Reclock is telling me and what settings are needed to correct PAL speedup.
I have setup MPC-HC, madVR and Reclock to play PAL DVDs and other video formats.

1) If I enable the option in madVR to "Treat 25p movies as 24p" then the refresh rate is changed to and a DVD is played at 24p, "Cinema adaption is applied in Reclock and I assume that takes care of correcting PAL speedup, but I would prefer not to use this option as I have a number of DVDs where the video and audio where recorded at 25fps (home movies and TV series).
Is this correct?
2) If I do not enable the "Treat 25p movies as 24p" then the refresh rate is changed to and DVD is played at 25p, PAL adaption is applied in Reclock but it does not appear to have corrected PAL speedup, see attachment, unless I check the PAL SpeedDown option in the Media Adaption section.
Is this correct and if I were to leave the PAL SpeedDown option set would that have an adverse effect when playing other formats e.g. Bluray

In both the above the Reclock ikon is green.

Attachments

• reclock1.jpg
    reclock1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm confused, too.

By default ReClock will not apply a PAL slowdown. However, since your ReClock icon is always green, you seem to have changed the default maximum slowdown from 1% to 5% or more. In this case a PAL slowdown will automatically be performed when your refresh rate is set to 24p even without the PAL SpeedDown option checked.

1) The PAL slowdown is automatically applied here but you say you don't want that.
2) No PAL slowdown is performed here but you want it to.

Well you cannot have both.
What you usually want is the framerate and the refresh rate to match. So you either do the slowdown and watch at 24p or you don't and use 25p.
What you don't want is to mix that like doing a slowdown and still watching at 25p.

There's no way to automatically decide whether some PAL material needs a slowdown or not. You need to adjust that manually.

The PAL SpeedDown option only has an effect on PAL material. It won't slow down anything else.

Many thanks for the reply that has helped clear up a couple of things for me. I have indeed changed the max slowdown to 5% and yes I was hoping there was some means of setting up the PAL speed down to be automatic!
Oh well since manual is the only option:- Will it be correct to disable the 24p option in madVR but check the SpeedDown option in Reclock to slow down PAL movie DVDs and then manually change it on the fly for DVDs with 25fps content???
Or is there a better method?

Last edited:
What I'm doing is I have set up two registry export files, one for PAL slowdown and one for normal, and I run the PAL slowdown one when I want to watch sped up PAL material, and the normal afterwards.

For example for 5% slowdown:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ReClock\Config]
"AcceptedMediaSlowdownPCM"=dword:00000005

(Note: this might be different in 64 bit Windows)

(I also force LAVFilter to weave deinterlace and then back to automatic with the same .reg files, as my graphics card cannot do 2:2 pulldown detection)

I know James has said before that fiddling with ReClock registry settings isn't recommended, but this change is simple, tested, and much more convenient than having to go into ReClock config and manually change the setting every time. Also, you can run them from inside media center frontends that have plugins for starting external programs without having to quit your 10-foot GUI.

el Filou
Can you elaborate on how that works, have you been able to get it to function automatically?

It cannot work automatically, as hadar said you have to manually instruct ReClock to do PAL speed down when you are actually watching sped up PAL material, however it's much quicker and easier than having to go into the ReClock control panel and change the setting.
It's a bit like a shortcut to quickly change between the "normal" and "PAL film" modes, if you want.

OK thanks for that.
In fact I have now set things up to watch at 24p and do the slow down as default, In the event where I have 25p/25fps material I manually uncheck the "PAL Speeddown" in the Media Adaption section which is easily accessible from MPC-HC on the fly.

Regards to all

Back