• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Confused about Ripping times

jake66

I have been finding that DVD's longer than 90 min apx, they can take 2 to 3 hrs to rip and less than 10 to burn, (star wars - a new home just took 5 hrs) while dvd's of apx 90 min or less usually take 20 min to rip and burn... I do have the most recent SW... is this normal?? :confused:

@ jake66,

Welcome to the Forum.

Taking over 30 minutes to make a BackUp Copy using the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software combination is unusual.

Unfortunately you have failed to provide ANY pertinent information and it will be difficult for Forum Member to provide any meaningful assistance.

Suggest closely reviewing the CloneDVD sticky tilted “How to burn a simple backup with CloneDVD2 (getting started)” (http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476) and the CloneDVD sticky tilted “Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)” (http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5083) and the CloneDVD sticky tilted “Please read before posting” (http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=393).

Regards,
Coaster

Here's some more info!

Ok, so I hope I have answered as much info as needed to get some suggestions for my slow ripping of DVD’s. Thanks!

Using version - AnyDVD 6.1.9.3 and CloneDVD 2.9.1.2

Right click on AnyDVD Red Fox icon shows:
MEMOREX DVD+-RAM 510L V1 MWS7 2006/03/22 17:21
(cannot locate any information on firmware for my External Burner – Sent
A request to Memorex)

System Info:
OS - Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
System Model - Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 5100
2.65 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
301.97 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
135.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Memorex DVD+-RAM 510L v1 USB Device [CD-ROM drive] - External
SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F [CD-ROM drive] – Internal
Disk drive (81.96 GB) -- drive 1
TOSHIBA MK6021GAS [Hard drive] (60.01 GB) -- drive 0
WDC WD16 00BB-00GUC0 USB Device [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 2
640 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM_A' has 128 MB
Slot 'DIMM_B' has 512 MB
Controllers – Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Multi Media - ADS DVD Xpress B / SigmaTel C-Major Audio
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition Version 10.0.0.359

I have removed all packet writing software from my system.

As far as the specific titles of the DVD’s that I’ve tried to rip and burn, there have been numerous different titles. As stated in my first post, the longer the dvd, the longer (hours) the rip. The burn seems to be done in 10 minutes or so.

I have been using TDK blank dvd’s. I know it was mentioned that these were not suggested to be used… But would they make that much of a difference? I had been burning at 16x. As I said, the burn was 10 min or so, it was the ripping that took forever!

It takes me 3 hours to rip and burn??

Ok so am I having troubles with ripping DVD’s. The whole process is taking up to 3 hours!! IE – Kinky Boots was the most recent DVD I just burned. This was not the only DVD this has happened to. BUT mostly this is the problem for newer movies and movies over 90 minutes long. Older movies are taking 25 minutes. Which is still longer than I once had been able to burn, meaning before I reloaded my OS I could rip and burn in 20 minutes. The actual burning of the DVD only take 10 to 13 minutes. It’s the ripping part that takes forever! Once I start the process I can see the activity meter fly – but soon slows down. The estimated time for ripping starts off at 26 minutes then slowly climbs to 60, 120, 240 etc!

This is my 2nd posting of this problem, sorry the first time I didn’t include all the necessary info. So I’m going throught the whole damn list and hopefully compiling it all! (what a pain!)

Using version - AnyDVD 6.1.9.3 and CloneDVD 2.9.1.2

Step one - Went to and read through http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (getting started)
http://www.ultimate-dvdr.com/clonedv...ta-update.html - very nicely done.

Function I am using is burning “DVD to DVD”

Step two - http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=10 Firmware:
Right click on AnyDVD Red Fox icon shows: (without a dvd in burner)
(cannot locate any information on firmware for my External Burner – Sent
A request to Memorex two weeks ago, never heard back) The External DVD Burner was purchased Feb 2007 (not sure if stating its age makes a difference to you)

System Info:
OS - Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
System Model - Dell Computer Corporation Inspiron 5100
2.65 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
301.97 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
135.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Memorex DVD+-RAM 510L v1 USB Device [CD-ROM drive] - External
SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F [CD-ROM drive] – Internal
Disk drive (81.96 GB) -- drive 1
TOSHIBA MK6021GAS [Hard drive] (60.01 GB) -- drive 0
WDC WD16 00BB-00GUC0 USB Device [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 2
640 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM_A' has 128 MB
Slot 'DIMM_B' has 512 MB
Controllers – Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Multi Media - ADS DVD Xpress B / SigmaTel C-Major Audio
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition Version 10.0.0.359

DMA is enabled

Is the original source disc bad?
NO - I DON’T THINK SO – BUT I HAVE DOWNLOADED Nero cd-dvd speed
TO RULE OUT IF THIS WILL HELP OR NOT. DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

I believe I have removed all packet writing software from my system.

I have been using TDK blank dvd’s. I know it was mentioned that these were not suggested to be used… But would they make that much of a difference? I had been burning at 16x. As I said, the burn was 10 min or so, it was the ripping that took forever!

I went as suggested and downloaded http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

I’ve selected "dvd-5" every time. Does this make a difference in the ripping?

Step 3 – went to both of these how to sites to make sure I understood the process.
1.Zebadee's excellent picture tutorial
http://www.ultimate-dvdr.com/clonedv....html#post6869 and
2. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....threadid=72022

Step 4: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5083

1) Yes I have the latest version of slyfox – as noted

2) Yes – Have removed packet writing software from your system.) – as stated

3) State a)the specific version of Anydvd you're using,- listed above.

4) Specify the a )full title – KINKY BOOTS - , b)region code,- 1 - c) country, - USA - and d) release date – NOT SURE - of the disc that you're experiencing issues with.

5) Specify a)the brand and b)model number of your optical reader and writer with c)firmware versions for these optical drives. d) Let us know what operating system (version number and service pack, if applicable) you're using as well. e) Check to see if there's an updated firmware version for your burner and your reader. – ALL LISTED ABOVE

6) What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

As stated I'm using TDK DVD-R 16x 4.7gb
Batch code/Serial code - MTP 6g8le06101063 5
No country codes -
the DVD's are gray and the holder is black (LOL just case the color was important:D)

7) At what speed are you burning your blank media? 16x - THE BURNING ISNT THE ISSUE – THE RIPPING OF THE DVD IS THE ISSUE!

8 ) Click the red fox icon in your system tray. Select "status" on the left hand side of your screen. With the problematic disc inserted in your computer, click the appropriate drive tab letter (the drive containing the disc) in Anydvd. In the window below the drive letter (just right click in the window and choose "select all" and then "copy"), copy and paste (right click, select "paste") the information into your next reply on these forums. If you made a backup, do this step for both the original disc and the backup, please.

DONE:
This is the original DVD
Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.9.3)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2054688 sectors (4013 MBytes)
Total size: 4095371 sectors (7998 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: KNK0NNW1
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Warning: .bup file location is wrong, .bup processing disabled!
RCE protection not found.
Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed invalid cell pieces!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
Found & removed invalid program from program chain!
UDF filesystem patched!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 4 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

This is the backup DVD I made
Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.9.3)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1
Total size: 2278320 sectors (4449 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: KNK0NNW1
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

9 ) State the full a)error message(s) you encountered, b)tell us what program(s) you were using when you received the error message(s), and c) describe in detail what you were doing when you received the error message(s). – NO ERROR MESSAGES INVLOVED – ONLY SLOOOOOOWWWWWW RIPPING TIMES

10) DONE
:clap:

I hope I have now provided all the info you need!!!! Thanks!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_E_KNK0NNW1.zip
    89.6 KB · Views: 4
@ jake66,

You have a Dell Inspiron 5100 LapTop Computer with an internal Samsung SN-324F CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive and an external USB Memorex 510L DVD Burner. The AnyDVD summary provided indicates the Memorex 510L external USB DVD Burner was used for Ripping/Reading the original Commercial DVD Movie Title. Unfortunately you do not definitively state which device you are actually using to Rip/Read the original Commercial DVD Movie Titles you are attempting to process. In most cases an internal DVD device will function quicker and more efficiently than an external USB DVD device. Confirm which DVD device you are actually using in the Ripping/Reading of the original Commercial DVD Movie Title.

Concerning your Samsung SN-324F CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive ->

Unfortunately you have not provided Firmware information about your Samsung SN-324F CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive. Below is a Web Link that provides firmwares Samsung SN-324F ->

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1649

The below information is provided to ensure that your Memorex 510L v1 External DVD Burner is performing to its maximum potential.

Concerning locating Firmware for your Memorex 510L v1 burner ->

Unfortunately I doubt if you will ever hear anything from Mr. Memorex. The below paragraph contains information that Mr. Memorex will never provide to you.

Memorex doesn’t manufacture any DVD Devices or any Media. Memorex is just a “Name Brand” “Marketer” who subcontracts with various manufactures and re-badges items with the Memorex “Name Brand” sticker. Your Memorex 510L v1 burner was actually manufactured by some other DVD device manufacture and Memorex just pasted their Memorex “Name Brand” label on the device. Most likely your Memorex 510L v1 burner was actually manufacture by Lite-On and is actually a Lite-On DVDRW SHM-165P6S burner. Suggest viewing the below CD Freaks Forum posting and direct your attention to posting #17 ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/memorex-burner-problem-208341

Ensure that your Dell Inspiron 5100 LapTop Computer has the most current up to date BIOS version available and that your BIOS is configured correctly for USB 2.0 Enhanced HiSpeed throughput.

Suggest ensuring that your USB connection bus is in correct proper operating order. Proceed to Device Manager and ensure that under “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” that all drivers are installed correctly (no yellow/red flags). Also suggest uninstalling all “USB” devices, reboot and allow Windows to re-install all “USB” devices. Also suggest replacing the USB cable with a known good cable. Suggest using Google Search (http://www.google.com) and perform a search for the topic “USB Problem” for detailed information on trouble shooting Universal Serial Bus problems.

Regards,
Coaster

1. Do not create multiple threads about the exact same thing.

2. It's entirely possible that whatever optical drive you're using has riplock, which you may or may not be able to disable.

@ jake66,

Suggest re-reading posting #5 ->

Coaster said:
.....Unfortunately you do not definitively state which device you are actually using to Rip/Read the original Commercial DVD Movie Titles you are attempting to process.....Confirm which DVD device you are actually using in the Ripping/Reading of the original Commercial DVD Movie Title.....

Regards,
Coaster

\DosDevices\E:\ -> USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_Memorex&Prod_DVD+-RAM_510L_v1&Rev_MWS7\00101005050003PN&0

USB... maybe it is just an USB1 port? In this case, it *will* be very, very slow...

Sorry Coaster - I spaced replying on that one! I have only been ripping/burning on the external memorex DVD. I've had problems using the internal dvd. In the past, it would rip to a certain point then it would get hung up, Ithink an error msg of sorts came up, its been a while.

\DosDevices\E:\ -> USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_Memorex&Prod_DVD+-RAM_510L_v1&Rev_MWS7\00101005050003PN&0

USB... maybe it is just an USB1 port? In this case, it *will* be very, very slow...

that's what i was thinking, also certain usb controllers/drivers can eat ram and cpu after a while. plus a laptop hard drive is pretty slow.

and i'd suggest that you're not simply ripping the disc using anydvd (shouldn't take more than 30mins for anything) but actually recoding it using clonedvd2 (which could take over and hour for a 3 hour film).

also could be scratched disks, or riplocked drive, or not enough ram, or spyware or....

@ jake66,

Thanks for definitively confirming which DVD device you are using for Ripping your original Commercial DVD Movie Titles.

It should be noted that your Dell Inspiron 5100 LapTop Computer is rather old (2003 timeframe) and truthfully not designed to handle the demanding DVD BackUp process. Factoring in the use of a slower external device perhaps its time to consider a more modern LapTop Computer?

In reviewing the Dell Inspiron 5100 LapTop Computer specifications you have a Firewire/IEEE 1394a-interface port. The best I can discern is that your Memorex 510L v1 External DVD Burner also has Firewire/IEEE 1394a interface ports. Suggest if possible using the quicker more efficient Firewire/IEEE 1394a connection interface instead of a USB connection interface.

Regards,
Coaster

James... I have no idea what the first part of your message indicates...

and the Ext HD is plugged directly into the laptop. I did checkthat!
thanks!

@ jake66,

Concerning Forum Member James #9 posting comments ->

There is a USB version 1.0 connection that has throughput speed of 12Mbps and then there is also a USB version 2.0 Enhanced HiSpeed connection, which supports throughput speed of 480 Mbps. As you can see a USB version 2.0 Enhanced HiSpeed connection is substantially faster than a USB version 1.0 connection. That is why in my #5 posting I suggested to ensure that you were configured to use a USB 2.0 Enhanced HiSpeed connection.

Have you investigatived the possibility of using a Firewire/IEEE 1394a connection as suggested in my #12 posting instead of a USB connection?

Also have you investigatived using the most current up to date Lite-On DVDRW SHM-165P6S Firmware for your Memorex 510L v1 external DVD Burner as mentioned in my #5 posting?

Regards,
Coaster

Back