• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Confused about Region Codes on BR

LINUS

Beta Tester
I thought AnyDVDHD was handling this in the past. But suddenly (don't know since when exactly) I keep having problems changing between Regions A and B.

Of course there is this little Registry shortcut (c.f. http://forum.slysoft.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=6403) which solves the problem, but it should not be necessary with AnyDVDHD? Am I doing something wrong?

PowerDVD 7.3 patch 3104 (as 3319 makes all sort of problems) under XP Home with a PIoneer BDC 202 BR drive.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

I thought AnyDVDHD was handling this in the past. But suddenly (don't know since when exactly) I keep having problems changing between Regions A and B.
Could you elaborate on the "problems you have"?

Could you elaborate on the "problems you have"?

Sorry for being 'vague'. ;)

PDVD simply forces me to change the Region code either to A or B otherwise it will not play the discs. I am using the latest AnyDVDHD version of today but I had the same 'problem' already a few days ago.

I tried to set AnyDVD to 'Auto' or to the Region of the disc or to the Region PowerDVD was set to, no luck. I have to set PowerDVD to the specific Region of the disc.

Sorry for being 'vague'. ;)

PDVD simply forces me to change the Region code either to A or B otherwise it will not play the discs. I am using the latest AnyDVDHD version of today but I had the same 'problem' already a few days ago.

I tried to set AnyDVD to 'Auto' or to the Region of the disc or to the Region PowerDVD was set to, no luck. I have to set PowerDVD to the specific Region of the disc.

Does PowerDVD itself issues the message? Or is it a title on the disc saying you have the wrong region?
What does the AnyDVD status window say? Did AnyDVD detect any region coding? If it did, did it detect the correct region as printed on the disc cover?

Automatic BD region setting in AnyDVD HD never worked well for me. Got a lot of "wrong region" messages in PDVD. I simply set the region manually in AnyDVD HD and all worked fine.

Could it be that you try to play a BD disc that is currently not supported by AnyDVD? BD+ or MKV4 titles? Then of course region settings won't work.

Could it be that you try to play a BD disc that is currently not supported by AnyDVD? BD+ or MKV4 titles? Then of course region settings won't work.

No, they were actually older titles (tried Blood and Chocolate Region A today after playing Oceans 13 Region B). Both work fine other than me having to manually set the region code.

James: The title is actually issuing the message. AnyDVD is detecting the region correctly as far as I remember.

The first time the problem occured afair was with putting in 'Wild Hogs' Region B on Saturday (same message by the disc rather than by PowerDVD). And yes, the dectection was correct according to the the region encoding printed on the disc (BTW: I only use originals, no copies at all!).

HIH

I checked with my other system that has a Sony BWU 100 A drive, there does not seem to be a problem like that. Can it have something to do with the Pioneer drive (BDC S02, I have the one with SATA interface)?

Last edited:
I just ran into the Wild Hogs as well - being a good boy I did a search just prior to posting my new thread so adding my experience in here. :)

Myself said:
I've paid and registered my AnyDVD HD license.
Using the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra, in spite of AnyDVD being fully functional (apparently), I cannot play back the Wild Hogs BR. I get an error screen saying the zone is wrong.

The movie is rented from Movieguys.com.au and zone is A. My Pioneer reader is set to Zone B and AFAIK only has about 5 changes left.

This is running Vista Home Premium.

What other information do I need to provide?

Further to this by renting a bluray I am legally licensed to play the content back. I certainly didn't pay the monies to stare at its nice & shiny interior.

I didn't come here to be insulted.

EDIT: Zone regulations have been heavily attacked in Australia and it was a requirement that all players are zone free i.e. pre modded.
See e.g. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/853696.html
and http://www.consensus.com.au/ITWritersAwards/ITWarchive/ITWentries02/C1CaitlinFitzsimmons.htm
AFAICG, it is illegal to ban the modification of zone removers from playback devices.

Last edited:
EDIT: Zone regulations have been heavily attacked in Australia and it was a requirement that all players are zone free i.e. pre modded.

There is no such requirement in Australia. If you'd read that Whirlpool thread, you'd have seen a post from a Pioneer Rep. saying as much.

AFAICG, it is illegal to ban the modification of zone removers from playback devices.

Yes, this is basically the outcome of the High Court court case. You cannot be prosecuted for bypassing region coding, but it is not illegal to include region coding.

No, but it's illegal to prosicute someone who circumvents it.

It should be illegal, but it isn't.

Please let the Moderators do the moderating. There is no evidence of illegal copying here. :policeman:

Um excuse me not to be sarcastic or nothing as I was replied to in the thread and miss read the OP so I just let it die now why after 24 hours would one want to make such a statement after I seen I was wrong? Again no disrespect but I saw my mistake in another posters reply.

Back