• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Compressing audio streams

kmecko

I would like to add to feature wish list: an option to compress audio streams (for example DTS HD to AC-3 5.1).

There is no point in compressing BD25 or BD50 to BD9 if audio portion is 5 GB (as it often is with DTS) and there are only 3.5 GB left for video. For that reason I am still using BD Rebuilder which allows for compressing audio streams to AC-3.

I very much appreciate SlySoft's products and I believe that CloneBD will be excellent after a few more updates.

I own lifetime license of both AnyDVD HD and CloneBD.

You just choose 'Audio Core only' and you'll get the compressed 5.1 core audio whether it's DTS or AC-3. BD Rebuilder can do the same.

Last edited:
Adbear,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried that, but audio compression of DTS HD seemed to be minimal. I will repeat the procedure (to be sure) and post the comparison between CloneBD and BD Rebuilder.

Adbear,

Here are the results of my little CloneBD tryout:

Movie: The Princess Bride

Original:
Video: MPEG-4 AVC 25312 MB
Audio: DTS-HD MA 5369 MB (6 ch.)

ISO file as compressed by CloneBD to BD9 (with audio core option turned ON):
Video: MPEG-4 AVC 3969 MB
Audio: DTS-HD MA 5369 MB (6 ch.)

ISO file as compressed by BD Rebuilder:
Video: MPEG-4 AVC 7215 MB
Audio: Dolby Digital 506 MB (6 ch.)

As you can see, CloneBD failed to compress audio stream even with audio core option turned on. As a result, video portion was heavily compressed resulting in a blocky video. I was not happy with the video quality at all.

On the other hand, BD Rebuilder compressed the audio portion tenfold and created excellent, sharp video compressed to reasonable 7 GB. I was not able to detect any loss in sound quality. Also, it is worth mentioning that BD Rebuilder used two pass, high quality compression scheme for video. I was not able to tell the difference between the original and the compressed video.

What are your suggestions? How to make CloneBD compress the audio and leave more room for video?

That option dont compress audio. It transforms DTS-HD in plain DTS without compress. DTS-HD Master Audio contains 2 data streams: the original DTS core stream and the additional "residual" stream which contains the "difference" between the original signal and the lossy compression DTS core stream. The audio signal is split into two paths at the input to the encoder. One path goes to the core encoder for backwards compatibility and is then decoded.

So that option remove the HD data stream(lossless part) and keep the original DTS core (the lossy part).

Last edited:
calcu007,

Thank you for explaining this.

Now, knowing this, there are only two possible explanations for the results in my previous post:

1. Either the audio stream DTS-HD is a "core" stream and does not contain "residual" information to be discarded,
2. Or CloneBD failed to extract "core" audio stream.

Either way, the question is: By using CloneBD, how to compress audio stream to less than 1 GB so that video stream can be around 7 GB on a BD9 disc?

I believe that most of us want to compress BD25 or BD50 to BD9. When properly done, there is no observable difference in audio and video between BD25 and BD9. Pushing it to BD5 leaves us with blocky video, in my experience, no matter what you try. If video stream is less than 7 GB then video quality suffers. I am talking my experience with average movies, and of course, we can split hairs here, but I accept that everyone is entitled to his or her taste, preference and tolerance level.

BD Rebuilder has an option to convert any audio stream to AC-3 and that always produces an audio stream of less than 1 GB and I can not hear the difference between the original and the compressed stream. I am sure that there is a difference, but on my Sony receiver with $2000 Infiniti speakers, I can not hear it. Add to that superb two pass video compression that BD Rebuilder offers and it is obvious that BD Rebuilder is a better tool to make a BD9, at the moment. Do not get me wrong, I think that CloneBD will get there, I am all for that and I already purchased the lifetime license, but there is a work to be done. Hence, my feature request: give us an option to compress the audio stream.

It will be option 2, DTS HD always contains a core DTS compressed audio stream.

BD Rebuilder didn't compress the audio tenfold, it took the compressed DTS and converted it to compressed AC3. There's an option in the settings on BD Rebuilder to tell it not to convert the cores so you get the untouched AC3 or DTS core on you films instead of re-compressing the already compressed audio.

Last edited:
Adbear,

Thanks for the reply.

How do we proceed from here? Do I report a bug? Does someone need to verify that problem exists?

Back