• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Clown BD or BD Rebuilder Which is a better alternative if Clone BD does not work?

MCalca1706

I have a 20% success rate with full disc copies using Clone BD from ANY DVD HD ISO files!
Each process takes about 2-4 hours (including The Any DVD HD rip to the hard drive first). I have waited years for this program but it's still not working for me.

Can I use one of the alternatives mentioned above (Clown BD or BD Rebuilder) to compress and burn to a 25 GB disc, with the menu's intact, while removing unwanted material like trailers?
Do these programs take as long a Clone BD (2-3 hours from an ISO to a disc)?

System Info:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XPS8300
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 8300
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A04, 6/20/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name XPS8300\
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.25 GB
Total Virtual Memory 24.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 16.7 GB
Page File Space 12.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thank You

Each process takes about 2-4 hours (including The Any DVD HD rip to the hard drive first). I have waited years for this program but it's still not working for me.

Can I use one of the alternatives mentioned above (Clown BD or BD Rebuilder) to compress and burn to a 25 GB disc, with the menu's intact, while removing unwanted material like trailers?
Do these programs take as long a Clone BD (2-3 hours from an ISO to a disc)?
I use both ClownBD_Copier and BDRebuilder to make copies but for different functions. ClownBD is useful for editing out unwanted trailers and clips and BDRebuilder is useful for compression to 25GB or less and movie only backups.
This won't save you any time though and is more complicated to master requiring a lot more manual steps than CloneBD requires.

One thing I always do is create the images on HDD and test with VCD before burning to BD-R. Also, burn the disks at the middle rated write speed, It takes more time overall but rarely a coaster. If you're backing up BD's it's worth it to have at least one HDD that can handle at least 1-2TB.

I use BD Rebuilder quite a lot for compression to fit single layer Blu-ray discs. I almost always make movie only copies, but it is certainly possible to use the program to keep menus and remove extras automatically. The mode you use is called Movie & Menus (Auto blank Extras). To get this mode, you need to add two lines to your INI/configuration file: ENABLE_TEST=1 ENABLE_BLANKING=1

You can preview each blanked out item by right clicking on it, and if you want to keep it, you can "unblank" it.

I've never used ClownBD Copier, but I do use ClownBD occasionally to get a copy of a movie (without menus and extras) that doesn't need compression to fit my 23gb target.

If you want BD Rebuilder to run at a faster pace, you should to to Settings->Encoder Settings->High Speed Option (BD 25+). It may not be particularly faster than CloneBD however, and you must remember that increasing speed cuts corners, and visual quality will not be the same as what can be achieved with the slower modes. It may be perfectly acceptable to you, but you'll need to judge that for yourself.

Last edited:
I have a 20% success rate with full disc copies using Clone BD from ANY DVD HD ISO files!

I seen where ISO made from Anydvd HD of previous has caused burn problems with CloneBD. So unless that ISO isn't made by the latest AnyDVD HD 7.6.0.0 or 7.6.0.1 beta then I suspect the problem resulted from Anydvd HD. So did you retry to create the BD ISO with latest version and try with CloneBD again? Also since you posted no Log file from original BD media no one can see what is going on. So in this process you also need to provide a log file as well.

Last edited:
To Roycal, Kerry56 & Recycle, Thank You for the Helpful Responses and Information

To Roycal, Kerry56 & Recycle, Thank You for the Helpful Responses and Information

I am totally frustrated with Clone BD because of the endless failures but I still hope that one day it will become as useful as as other Slysoft and Elaborate Byte products (which I have used for many years).

I am also disappointed with the lack of tech support from Elby, which seems to consist of, "install the latest update". One problem is, sometimes something finally works then it is later broken in a later update. In early versions of Clone BD at least converting to MP4 or MKV always seemed to work (if nothing else) then later updates caused problems with this as well. I also rarely get any answers (even when I submit log files) on this forum so getting three helpful responses, at once, is a surprise.

All my Clone BD full disc copies and conversions come from tested Any DVD HD ISO files. Some of the ISO files were created quite a while ago but some are pretty recent so it doesn't seem to be a problem only with older Any DVD HD ISO files. The 20% success rate I mentioned for full disc copies happens with both old and new ISO files. I always use Any DVD HD first because I trust it to create working ISO files.
From so many negative experiences I can't really depend on Clone BD to do anything correctly.

The disc burns are done to usually Verbatim BD-RE at 2X speed (so fast speeds are not the problem).
I just purchased a new LG external USB 3.0 Blu Ray drive to rule out the internal Blu Ray burner in my system, which is about 3 years old. I also purchased Power DVD 14 Ultra for testing and usually try the discs on Sony and Samsung Blu Ray players. The last failure was Spiderman 2 caused by Cinavia halfway through the movie.

What I would really like, is to be able to backup the movie, original menus, selected special features, and leaving out trailers and other unwanted material. Even if it were to work Clone BD cannot do that, at present.

As far as hard drive space, I have 3TB, 4TB and 5TB USB 3.0 external dives. I had to purchase another 5 TB external because Clone BD can't do what I expected so I am stuck so many the huge Any DVD HD ISO files. Trying to back up a Blu Ray with Clone BD (no matter which version) seems to be a full time job an I just don't have the time or energy to do endless testing for just a 20% success rate (and I only have one computer fast enough that I can use for this and I can't use the computer for anything else for the 2-4 hours per disc).

I have attached a few of The log files from failed Clone BD burns, as requested.

Thank You All Again for your helpful Responses

View attachment Dolphin Tale 2 27GB ISO To Clone BD 1042 Complete Copy to TDK BD_RE 25GB LG Ext BLu Ray Took 2_.zipView attachment 26856View attachment Superman Returns From ISO To BD-RE 25Gb Complete Disc Took 2Hrs 38Min Log file.zipView attachment Poltergeist 20.49GB Complete copy From ISO To BD-RE 25GB V 1.0.3.3 Took 60M Log File.zipView attachment Godzilla Clone BD Log File Any DVD HD ISO 28Gb to BD_RE 25GB Disc Complete Copy.zip

Thank you for the reply and information.

It is best to use both Clown_BD and BD Rebuilder.

You can build the back-up just about anyway you wish, full disk, movie only, load the MPLS you want to use, with or without compression, and have had very good results on both software programs.

Burn with Imgburn at the design rating on the blank disk and have had no problems with any brand.

Thank you for the reply and information. Because of all my troubles and failures using Clone BD I need other alternatives. I hope there are guides available for both programs since I am new to burning Blu Ray. Had I known all the problems I was going to have, while waiting years for Clone BD (then called Slice) I would have tried other alternatives much sooner.

It may not be particularly faster than CloneBD however, and you must remember that increasing speed cuts corners, and visual quality will not be the same as what can be achieved with the slower modes. It may be perfectly acceptable to you, but you'll need to judge that for yourself.

I respectfully disagree. In my testing BDRB started off significantly slower than CloneBD, then some versions where equal and now its back to much slower. Latest testing with settings as close as possible has CloneBD ~1.8X slower than BDRB, with BDRB having better quality.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they both use x264 to encode.
If the settings are the same the encoding speed should also be the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they both use x264 to encode.
If the settings are the same the encoding speed should also be the same.

If they are using the same encoding methods, I agree. But in my testing they are not the same. So something is different.

What would be different is the settings.

My settings used for testing haven't changed, but the encoding speed of CloneBD has with different versions using the same BD. So your assertion is false.

There are a lot of settings within x264 that we can't access thru CloneBD. Could it be those settings have been changed for quality reasons?
Has the version of x264 changed? Unless you have access to all the x264 settings, and make sure they are all the same, you can't state that the encoder settings haven't changed.

There are a lot of settings within x264 that we can't access thru CloneBD. Could it be those settings have been changed for quality reasons?
Has the version of x264 changed? Unless you have access to all the x264 settings, and make sure they are all the same, you can't state that the encoder settings haven't changed.

OK one more time. My settings haven't changed. Never said I knew what internal x264 CloneBD settings had changed. With constant settings that I can control, CloneBD has varied from slower to equal to slower compared to BDRB. Obviously something in CloneBD has been changed to cause the varying speed comparisons, since BDRB has remained relatively steady with its speed. In my testing CloneBD has never been faster than BDRB, and CloneBD's quality hasn't been as good as BDRB.

In BD_RB you control the presets which affect speed and quality.
In Clone_BD the user has no such control, so the settings could be changed and the user wouldn't know.
Not going to argue about the quality.

My point is merely that they both use the same encoder, and if both programs used the same settings for the encoder, not the settings you see in Clone_BD, then quality and speed would be the same.

In my testing CloneBD has never been faster than BDRB, and CloneBD's quality hasn't been as good as BDRB.

That's interesting. I did extensive tests with CloneBD while it was in beta, and a few with newer releases, and it was consistently faster than BD Rebuilder when I use my standard settings in BD Rebuilder. I normally use the High quality setting, main movie only, single layer BD-R output size, pass through HD audio, CRF or two pass encoding in BD Rebuilder.

In CloneBD, to do direct comparisons, I'd set the output size to as close a result as I could, but of course, that is basically all you can set, other than choosing to keep HD audio or convert to AC3.

Visual quality from CloneBD was always acceptable, but I got the impression that the BD Rebuilder results were better overall. May be built-in bias. And I only did a few frame by frame comparisons. Catching the artifacts or other imperfections in playback on a ~23gb output might be beyond me now, as my eyesight is less than perfect.

Conversion to MKV, I was testing against VidCoder, and I use very high settings there. The VidCoder results were easily better visual quality when reducing a Blu-ray down to DL DVD size (roughly 7.85GB).

Well, I have not been burning to media anymore as it is getting more common to just (put) these files on a external drive and plug into a set top box and enjoy.

I have been using MakeMKV since the introduction, as it allow me to maintain the DTS HD Audio format and no compression.

I just downloaded BD Rebuilder and will give that a try with AnyDVD and post my findings. However, this process it much more tedious.

To be continued....

Well, I have not been burning to media anymore as it is getting more common to just (put) these files on a external drive and plug into a set top box and enjoy.

I have been using MakeMKV since the introduction, as it allow me to maintain the DTS HD Audio format and no compression.

I just downloaded BD Rebuilder and will give that a try with AnyDVD and post my findings. However, this process it much more tedious.

To be continued....

Not for me physical media all the way...I can have more control and how I want my menu setups. Not everyone wants ext Drive-I am one of them. Also the amount of space the ext drive will need will be price wise not worth it for the amount I have considering BD are from 25-50gig size your ext drive will fill up fast. Considering how cheap players compared to ext drive to use.

Conversion to MKV, I was testing against VidCoder, and I use very high settings there. The VidCoder results were easily better visual quality when reducing a Blu-ray down to DL DVD size (roughly 7.85GB).

This is why I keep 1:1 format when using CloneBD, I rather have close to the original as possible for my viewing pleasure. And the media itself isn't to much to buy it either if you find a reasonable seller. I bought mine this way saving time and money.

This is why I keep 1:1 format when using CloneBD, I rather have close to the original as possible for my viewing pleasure. And the media itself isn't to much to buy it either if you find a reasonable seller. I bought mine this way saving time and money.

Don't think I follow your reasoning Recycle. If you want perfect copies of the original, all you need is AnyDVD HD. If you want movie only copies, removing the menu and extras, ClownBD works very well for this, and the visual quality is unchanged since the video stream is not re-encoded.

CloneBD is primarily an encoding program, designed to make smaller copies from the original. So I don't think it fits your use well enough to justify the cost. But if you are happy with the results, who am I to nitpick? I just wouldn't advise newcomers to purchase the program for your pattern of use.

Don't think I follow your reasoning Recycle. If you want perfect copies of the original, all you need is AnyDVD HD. If you want movie only copies, removing the menu and extras, ClownBD works very well for this, and the visual quality is unchanged since the video stream is not re-encoded.

CloneBD is primarily an encoding program, designed to make smaller copies from the original. So I don't think it fits your use well enough to justify the cost. But if you are happy with the results, who am I to nitpick? I just wouldn't advise newcomers to purchase the program for your pattern of use.

That method destroys the original menu setup and all the page breaks of the original. Sometimes one doesn't want just movie only and if you want all the settings as the original your going to do alot of work to recreate the same menu for just sitting back and watching and just enjoying the movie. That's what it comes down to for me just to sit back relax and watch the movie play on not have to work to recreate the movie itself. I rather watch the movie then become the movie itself.

Back