• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

closing vcddaemon.exe once finished

dxiv

As an occasional user, I only use VCD once in a while. I removed the automatic "run" entry, and just start "vcddaemon /s" when I need it - then mount an image, do whatever I need, unmount, then... ...there seems to be no official way to end vcddaemon?

I appreciate that it's a tiny process that doesn't take much resources when not in use. But I am somewhat of a stickler about having things run without any good reason, and vcddaemon not having a built-in "exit" option seems odd. I know I can end it in task manager, or (which I actually do) have a shortcut to "taskkill /im vcddaemon.exe". The latter doesn't even need the /f (forcefully) switch, all it does is send a WM_CLOSE to the systray window, and vcddaemon shuts down cleanly.

Wish VCD had a "close" option built-in. I can see the issue having been raised before (for example http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=33457) but without any real resolution, or even counterpoint. (Having to entirely disable/re-enable VCD each time by changing the drive count and show-tray-icon setting is not a practical workaround.)

Thanks,
Liviu

OK, got the message. Nevermind, thanks anyway. Happy Thanksgiving!

P.S. A couple of years (and versions) later, the option to close vcddaemon is still missing. Taskkill /im works (without /f), meaning that the necessary code to close is in place, all that's missing is one extra line in the context menu of the systray icon. I find this "we don't care since we surely know better" attitude really disappointing.

Just to annoy you back ;-) but DT got this right and had it built-in forever.

P.S. A couple of years (and versions) later, the option to close vcddaemon is still missing.
That's because VCD won't work correctly without it.
To close VCDDaemon.exe, set the number of drives to 0 and untick "show tray icon".

That's because VCD won't work correctly without it.
There are times when I don't need it to work. Say I just unmounted an ISO and know I won't mount another until next year. I see no good reason why vcddaemon.exe must sit idle in the meantime.

To close VCDDaemon.exe, set the number of drives to 0 and untick "show tray icon".
This would work if it didn't take all those clicks. Does vcdprefs.exe take any command line switches to set the number of drives and systray icon visibility?

Back