• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Closed Captions

Kenneth Stern

I am in the process of creating a NAS with some of my existing dvds. Many of them have closed captions rather than "regular" subtitles. I know if I simply copy the ISO to the NAS then the closed captions will be preserved. However, I would prefer to get rid of the dvd menus (and I also understand that Plex does not play ISOs) Originally I was going to simply use MakeMKV, however, the mkv format apparently does not support closed captions.

Consequently, I downloaded a trial version of CloneDVD Mobile and have tried to convert to several different formats but so far the closed captions are not preserved in the converted files. (In doing the conversion I am offered the choice of no subtitles or unspecified subtitles and have chosen the latter.)

So my question is what if any formats will preserve closed captions using CloneDVD Mobile or is there some other way to preserve the closed captions? (I am aware that I could use a subtitle download site but that would require a second step plus many of my dvds seem to quickly get out of sync with such subtitles whereas the closed captions are burned in so that is not a problem.)

Thanks for any help,

Ken

CloneDVDMobile adds the subtitles to the video image IIRC, you don't have the ability to select/deselect them when watching from a DVD.

Converting a video title to an MKV container file IIRC does create selectable subtitles, but CDVDM doesn't create MKVs.

I don't do a lot of mobile video creation, my knowledge of the process is a couple of years old.

Thanks for your reply. It seems that CDVDM does not support closed captions...only subtitles during the conversion process. In doing some more research, Handbrake does seem to support closed captions so assuming that I can get over some of the other problems I am currently having when using handbrake, I guess I will use that instead of CDVDM.

Back