• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneDVD mobile and Linux

GhstWlf

Hello SlySoft.Forum,
I am writing you to tell you that CloneDVD mobile 1.2.0.1 works with Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit and the default wine install.
Now all I want is a install that uses my Linux compiled mencoder to speed things up even more. This could be a bit tricky but I think it is doable, not sure though.

trying to get 1.5.0.4 working with Ubuntu 8.10. I have CloneDVDm running but get nothing but fails when trying to convert a DVD to mp4, even on ones I did successfully convert in Vista. Help is greatly appreciated.

Could be a bug in 1.5.0.4 since it is a beta...
Post the debug log (right click in the log window and select show debuging information) and I will try to help you (I am just a user, advanced but still a user).

you guys do know that clonedvd mobile is just a gui for ffmpeg/mencoder that are linux applications right?

the following essentially does exactly what cdvdm does (converts a VIDEO_TS rip on your hard disk to a divx avi with mp3 audio):

mencoder dvdnav://1 -dvd-device VIDEO_TS -ffourcc DIVX -af volume=10 -aspect 16:9 -of avi -noodml -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1242:abitrate=128:threads=2 -audio-preload 0.8 -delay 0.1 -lameopts cbr:br=128 -vf scale=640:360,harddup -info name="HIGHLANDER" -ofps 24000/1001 -alang en -o highlander.avi

Hehe...
well I am willing to pay for a tool that output PSP video and that has support staff I can complain to when it doesn't work. :)
Also I haven't found a GUI tool that is as simple to use as CloneDVDmobile.

Last edited:
you guys do know that clonedvd mobile is just a gui for ffmpeg/mencoder that are linux applications right?

the following essentially does exactly what cdvdm does (converts a VIDEO_TS rip on your hard disk to a divx avi with mp3 audio):

mencoder dvdnav://1 -dvd-device VIDEO_TS -ffourcc DIVX -af volume=10 -aspect 16:9 -of avi -noodml -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1242:abitrate=128:threads=2 -audio-preload 0.8 -delay 0.1 -lameopts cbr:br=128 -vf scale=640:360,harddup -info name="HIGHLANDER" -ofps 24000/1001 -alang en -o highlander.avi

Hell... I'd rather stick to windows that have to type something like that in just to convert a DVD to avi or MP4. Actually I'm dual booting until I no longer have a need for windows... tho since AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 do not seem to work at all under Wine, will be dual booting for a long time :) As I will never give them up.

BTW if you haven't already figured it out, I'm a complete utter noob with Linux... just installed Kubuntu about 2 days ago... sooo much to learn.

Hell... I'd rather stick to windows that have to type something like that in just to convert a DVD to avi or MP4. Actually I'm dual booting until I no longer have a need for windows... tho since AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 do not seem to work at all under Wine, will be dual booting for a long time :) As I will never give them up.

see thats just a silly attitude - you could just copy'n'paste that into a terminal and away you go, no typing needed. you can't say that's harder than using clonedvd mobile with multiple mouse clicks and settings. you could even put it into a shell script and double-click it if you like!

that said, i do run anydvd-hd under virtualbox or vmware on linux, as that will never work natively.

Why not port for Linux?

I too am a Linux user. I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed and am in the process of using all open source software.
Also, I have been using AnyDVD with 1 click copy (On a Win XP box) for quite awhile and have great success. However, why not port this program to work with Linux?
Many people are tired of paying excessive fee's for using Mainstream operating systems and office products and are trying Linux as an alternative.
This would be an even better product if it could be used with Linux.

I don't think it would be easy to port AnyDVD to Linux and keeping it closed source. It might work with the FUSE (wikipedia) system but since it is a sort of driver (filesystem or device driver) it would require quite a rewrite of AnyDVD (please make a port SlySoft). Unfortunately wine can't (yet) make heads or tails out of device/filesystem drivers.

I think one of the reasons for that a opensource competitor to AnyDVD hasn't been made is the fact that "AnyDVD-like" software is illegal in USA and some more country that has a large influence on opensource software and that Mr.GNU (Richard Stallman) doesn't touch DRM in any form or proprietary codecs (MPEG2 etc. Also he insisted on only a ogg version of his interview with BSDtalk).
Just my thoughts on the matter.

Back