• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneDVD - Copy, Compression, Quality

nostresshere

Have used CloneDVD for years. Great stuff. Mostly for kids DVDs.

Now I am copying regular movie disks to the hard drive. Then converting via handbrake (high profile) to .MP4 to watch either on the tv via home network, or putting on ipad for travel. The ones I have watched, even on 55" HDTV seem fine. (have not watched that many though)

BUT - never understood the quality level bar at the bottom of CloneDVD screen. Never realized that little pull down menu was tied to quality bar. I think I just now figured out it means compression. Therefore, many of the disk I copied are maybe compressed. I have not yet noticed issues, but guessing when I watch some of these movies, I will be sorry?

(just copied one movie using the DVD+R option vs the default DVD-5 and the new directory is 6gb vs the normal 4+)

So, which setting is going to be best going forward in this project?

Last edited:
Have used CloneDVD for years. Great stuff. Mostly for kids DVDs.

Now I am copying regular movie disks to the hard drive. Then converting via handbrake (high profile) to .MP4 to watch either on the tv via home network, or putting on ipad for travel. The ones I have watched, even on 55" HDTV seem fine. (have not watched that many though)

BUT - never understood the quality level bar at the bottom of CloneDVD screen. Never realized that little pull down menu was tied to quality bar. I think I just now figured out it means compression. Therefore, many of the disk I copied are maybe compressed. I have not yet noticed issues, but guessing when I watch some of these movies, I will be sorry?

(just copied one movie using the DVD+R option vs the default DVD-5 and the new directory is 6gb vs the normal 4+)

So, which setting is going to be best going forward in this project?

The only time you might notice the compression from DVD9 to DVD5 would be on a larger LCD screen where blocky pixels might show up. Those two are tied together depending on what compression or no compression as a indication. Well if can find or afford DVD+R DL media which most newer movies are now DVD9 aka DVD-ROM(DVD+R DL) that would be the best route to go these are Movie Blockbuster Studios releases or from brand name Studio like Disney or Paramount. Use +R media if you burner can bitset or booktype set as +R can be set to -ROM format. Aka DVD+R DL then goes to DVD-ROM like the commercial movie format.

Last edited:
Actually have no plans to actually burn these DVD's. Recording to hard drive and then watch via home network. When I do the copy to hard drive, should I still pick one of these other formats/disk options?

To maintain the best quality before using HandBrake...

Never realized that little pull down menu was tied to quality bar. I think I just now figured out it means compression. Therefore, many of the disk I copied are maybe compressed

When ripping the DVD to hard drive, if the DVD-5 option is not showing/giving you a quality of 100%, then you can choose the DVD+/-R DL option on the drop down menu. The quality will then be at 100%.

Watching a DVD, let alone an mp4 file, on a 55" HDTV will show macro blocks on the screen of that size anyway as the video has to be upscaled to fit the screen resolution.

Last edited:
When ripping the DVD to hard drive, if the DVD-5 option is not showing/giving you a quality of 100%, then you can choose the DVD+/-R DL option on the drop down menu. The quality will then be at 100%.

Watching a DVD, let alone an mp4 file, on a 55" HDTV will show macro blocks on the screen of that size anyway as the video has to be upscaled to fit the screen resolution.

I leave the DVD+/-R DL option always set, that way I always get a quality of 100% (no compression) regardless of single or dual layer.

As you so aptly point out compressing video with CloneDVD and then compressing it even more by converting it to mp4 is going to make a mash-up of the quality. The resulting video might look fine on a small screen iPad, but on a TV? Bleh!

I leave the DVD+/-R DL option always set, that way I always get a quality of 100% (no compression) regardless of single or dual layer.

As you so aptly point out compressing video with CloneDVD and then compressing it even more by converting it to mp4 is going to make a mash-up of the quality. The resulting video might look fine on a small screen iPad, but on a TV? Bleh!

I thank all of you for your input and comments. Based on pulling up a half dozen movies using "compression" via the DVD-5 and then moving to MP4, I am surprised how good the stuff seems to be. Maybe I just have not come across some that are super-compressed.

The compression has a colored schale from red to green (red being bad and green good obviously). Usually you can compress till the scales sais +-70% (of the original) before going into the yellow. The lower u go, the higher the chances on pixelated issues

mike20021969, thank you very much! I have tons of double layer discs, and when I use that dropdown: PRESTO! the quality is 100% and great!

Back