• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Clonedvd 2.9.0.7 beta

Don't overestimate a verify feature. Unfortunately verify isn't much more than a marketing bubble. In reality you have to be prepared for a big surprise when you watch a verified copy which stops and stutters.

I concur with SamuriHL. Thanks for the tip, James. What you say makes sense and I do do quick checks to see if things look alright. My experience just has generally been that a failed verify is, in fact, not worth keeping. When a copy does verify as alright then I've never had an issue on any DVD player I have tried to play a disc on. Otherwise, as you said, the quality of the DVD player could impact the playing of a disc and I don't want to have to mark my discs according to which DVD player which disc will play alright on. :p

My old Apex kicks butt but my newer JVC can be a pain at times. And even the difference between my Apex I have in my bedroom and the same model Apex player in the livingroom is annoying. The one in my bedroom was one of the ones they released that allowed you to upgrade the firmware via CD. The one in the livingroom is the same model but you can't upgrade it to being region-free, macrovision free, RCE immune w/o modding it [which I have zero intention of doing]. So, even though they are both Apex AD-1500... they aren't really the same at all. They can both handle PAL so I'm set if I want to watch a non-region 1 disc by just watching my region-free backup of said disc thanks to AnyDVD. :D

I can see where you say it may be a false sense of security, though, but from my personal experiences and the DVD players and discs I've dealt with it's more about more confident that I can pop the disc in any DVD player I run across and have the disc play w/o worrying.

Hopefully some of what I said makes some sense. Today isn't one of my best days.

Well, I can say that if CloneDVD allowed the JACKET_P dir to be copied in addition to the rest of files then I'd probably try using it again for burning. I really like the idea of just burning from within CloneDVD. James, if I copy the JACKET_P dir manually and then use the write existing data function will it write that folder with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders? That might be acceptable. And with this new LG drive, it might be worth trying it out and see how things go. I love IMGBurn but it'd be more convenient to do it from CloneDVD.

P.S. I will definitely be doing the "James' verification method" from now on. :) I like it. I suppose, if you just play a few seconds of every chapter on the disc you could really verify it quite well that way...hmmmmm.

Well, I can say that if CloneDVD allowed the JACKET_P dir to be copied in addition to the rest of files then I'd probably try using it again for burning.

This would be a very nice feature, IMO, yes.

James, if I copy the JACKET_P dir manually and then use the write existing data function will it write that folder with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders?

I'm not James but I think I tried this once and it didn't work. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating that I did try it. I don't know which DVDs I have with a JACKET_P folder offhand so I can't experiment.

This would be a very nice feature, IMO, yes.
It would be, but, we were told no, so, such is life. Not really a big deal but I have a DVD player that supports it so I tend to include it.

I'm not James but I think I tried this once and it didn't work. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating that I did try it. I don't know which DVDs I have with a JACKET_P folder offhand so I can't experiment.

I have a few. I can try it. If I get ambitious here in a bit I'll see if it works. I doubt it if I remember correctly.

You traitor! :D
I usually start to use clonedvd2, but when I see that a movie requires 85% or more compression:doh: , I exit and use Shrink or recode2 so I can use the indepth feature.
If clonedvd had this feature for better quality, I probably would stop using shrink and recode2.:agree:

I usually start to use clonedvd2, but when I see that a movie requires 85% or more compression:doh: , I exit and use Shrink or recode2 so I can use the indepth feature.
If clonedvd had this feature for better quality, I probably would stop using shrink and recode2.:agree:

No, no, no. You're doing it wrong! :D What you SHOULD be saying here is this:

When a movie requires 85% or more compression, I set CloneDVD to DVD DL mode to turn off the transcoder, delsect the titlesets that are annoying like previews and movie studio logos, select only the audio languages I care about, and any subtitles I require, rip it to my hard drive, and THEN use Shrink or Recode to compress. :) You will save yourself some space for Recode or DVD Shrink to use if you do it that way.

P.S. The "adding a better transcoding engine" to CloneDVD has been debated to death and is unlikely to happen. The simple reason is that DVD Shrink is out there for free and in order for Slysoft to justify working on a better transcoding engine they'd have to charge for it. There aren't many people out there who'd be willing to pay for a feature they can get for free with Shrink. Now if elby simply added a feature to CloneDVD to rip the title and then automagically open Shrink with the ripped files.... (I'm kidding, James, I'm kidding! No need to shoot me!)

Last edited:
No, no, no. You're doing it wrong! :D What you SHOULD be saying here is this:

When a movie requires 85% or more compression, I set CloneDVD to DVD DL mode

:disagree:

"When a movie requires 85% or more compression, I ditch Clonedvd2, grab Verbatim +R DL and use Clonecd instead!" :D ;)
(I'm joking . . .)

:disagree:

"When a movie requires 85% or more compression, I ditch Clonedvd2, grab Verbatim +R DL and use Clonecd instead!" :D ;)
(I'm joking . . .)

Yes, and that's nice when you have DL discs on hand. I've been out of them for a few months now and haven't found any on sale. And I REFUSE to buy them at the ridiculous prices around here. So, until I find some cheap Verbatim DL's, I'll be without them. :)

Ok, after telling you what's not going to happen, now the things that will likely happen:

1.) Defining title play order when copying without menus
2.) Setting default streams when copying without menus
3.) Verify of written discs

...and 4.) Defining compression for each title (DVD Shrink has this option).
Don't you think it would be a good idea including this feature in CloneDVD?

...and 4.) Defining compression for each title (DVD Shrink has this option).
Don't you think it would be a good idea including this feature in CloneDVD?
No, I do not.

No, I do not.

Well, I'm sorry if you think CloneDVD users don't have the right to choose the compression for each copied title. Anyway, it was just a suggestion, that's all!

Well, I'm sorry if you think CloneDVD users don't have the right to choose the compression for each copied title. Anyway, it was just a suggestion, that's all!

For Recode & Shrink it is very important to select the compression individually, because you cannot remove individual titles when copying with menus. CloneDVD has the wonderful ability to copy individual titles while keeping the menus (IMHO a very strong feature). Setting individual compression ratios would probably be "nice to have", but it isn't as important as you might think.

Much more important would be a feature to remove parts of the menu in a similar way CloneDVD does it with titles.
But you didn't ask for that feature. :)

For Recode & Shrink it is very important to select the compression individually, because you cannot remove individual titles when copying with menus. CloneDVD has the wonderful ability to copy individual titles while keeping the menus (IMHO a very strong feature). Setting individual compression ratios would probably be "nice to have", but it isn't as important as you might think.

Much more important would be a feature to remove parts of the menu in a similar way CloneDVD does it with titles.

In my opinion, any suggestions to improve Slysoft products should always be welcome (no matter who gives the ideas). I didn't ask for that feature you mentioned, because I didn't think about it, but yes, I agree with you, it would be ''nice to have''. And my suggestions have only that very same purpose: improve the programs to make them totally independent in a way people don't have to use other stuff!

In my opinion, any suggestions to improve Slysoft products should always be welcome (no matter who gives the ideas). I didn't ask for that feature you mentioned, because I didn't think about it, but yes, I agree with you, it would be ''nice to have''. And my suggestions have only that very same purpose: improve the programs to make them totally independent in a way people don't have to use other stuff!

You are right, any suggestions are always welcome. I didn't want to give the impression that they aren't, this was not my intention.
You asked the question "don't you think..." and the answer was "no, I don't ...". It is just my personal opinion, if time and money should be invested in improving CloneDVD, there are other areas where it should go.
IMHO it doesn't make sense to mimic every feature that Shrink has. Shrink is free (a price hard to compete with), and works well together with AnyDVD & CloneDVD.
CloneDVD should be improved in those areas where it already shines: Perfect (!) removal of complete / partial titles, even with menus, multi angles, etc.
You must also know that CloneDVD isn't a SlySoft product but is licensed from Elaborate Bytes AG, so my opinion is not much more worth than yours (although they sometimes do listen to our wishes, as we are a very good customer :D )

Last edited:
That feature has been asked for before. If that feature was added, there would never be a reason to use VobBlanker or PGCEdit. I suspect, however, we won't be seeing this feature any time soon. I don't imagine it's an easy one to do. Would I welcome that change? Oh VERY much so!!

You are right, any suggestions are always welcome. I didn't want to give the improssion that they aren't, this was not my intention.
You asked the question "don't you think..." and the answer was "no, I don't ...". It is just my personal opinion, if time and money should be invested in improving CloneDVD, there are other areas where it should go.
IMHO it doesn't make sense to mimic every feature that Shrink has. Shrink is free (a price hard to compete with), and works well together with AnyDVD & CloneDVD.
CloneDVD should be improved in those areas where it already shines: Perfect (!) removal of complete / partial titles, even with menus, multi angles, etc.
You must also know that CloneDVD isn't a SlySoft product but is licensed from Elaborate Bytes AG, so my opinion is not much more worth than yours (although they sometimes do listen to our wishes, as we are a very good customer :D )

You're right! I always forget Slysoft doesn't own CloneDVD!

That feature has been asked for before. If that feature was added, there would never be a reason to use VobBlanker or PGCEdit. I suspect, however, we won't be seeing this feature any time soon. I don't imagine it's an easy one to do. Would I welcome that change? Oh VERY much so!!

If this was added I'd be in Heaven! :D

If this was added I'd be in Heaven! :D

Yes indeed. There'd be no need for VobBlanker (for me anyway) if we could do that. Cutting out the idiotic logos that are embedded in the menu would be a snap if we had that functionality.

I agree with most of the posts that anydvd can handle any movie as long as the person using the product has a basic understanding on how the software works, but when it comes to dollar for dollar ($49) and features and benefits there is no comparison DVDFAB wins hands down. I too was a long time anydvd/clone user but with the slow add-ons of new features and improvements to CloneDVD vs DVDFAB (I really don't count improvements to anydvd, because it really only has one job decrypt the movie for CloneDVD (which it does very well), here just take a look at the last 4 months of improvements on DVDFAB

May 3rd, 2007
DVDFab Platinum 3.1.0.8 Updated!

New: Added support for ProtectDVD protection as found on some Germany DVDs.
New: Rewritten DVD parser to be independent with UDF/ISO file system.
New: Improved copy protection removal engine.
New: The navigation bar can be customized now: show/hide specific options, or add new options for "DVD to Mobile".
New: Added "Cell Phone", "PVP" and "PDA" options for "DVD to Mobile".
New: Added many profiles for "Cell Phone", "PVP" and "PDA".
New: Added profile for iPod 5.5G, which supports high resolution 640x480.
New: Added profile for PSP firmware 3.30, which supports high resolution 480x272 and 720x480.
New: Added profile for Apple TV.
New: Added command line support. "Full Disc" only now.
New: Updated VSO burning engine.
New: Updated A/V codec for "DVD to Mobile".
New: Updated language files.
Fix: A/V sync problem in certain cases for "DVD to Mobile".
Fix: Removed padding data when copying single angle if it's a multi angle title.
Fix: Data files/folders, like file "autorun.inf" or folder "JACKET_P", will not be burned when using "Write Data".
Fix: Several minor problems.

April 2nd, 2007
DVDFab Platinum 3.0.9.8 Updated!

Fix: Copying speed is slow in "Split" mode.

March 30th, 2007
DVDFab Platinum 3.0.9.6 Updated!

New: Added "Default output type" option. Normally you should use "DVD Writer", but if you use DVDFab to rip DVDs only, you can choose "DVD Folder".
Change: Significantly reduced the time to open DVD.
Fix: A problem that ISO file name cannot be set in "Clone" mode.
Fix: A problem that data ISO image cannot be burned in "Write Data" mode.

March 2nd, 2007
DVDFab Platinum 3.0.8.6 Updated!

New: Added audio/subpicture preselection feature.
New: You can let DVDFab preselect specific language of audio/subpicuture. Ideal for "Main Movie", "Customize" and "Merge".
Fix: Some extra content will be removed in "Full Disc" mode, when copying some copy-protected DVDs, like "Cinderella III" and "Open Season".
Fix: Preview problem on Windows Vista.
Fix: A problem that more than 6 sources cannot be opened, now the limit is 64.
Fix: A problem that LPCM audio cannot be converted in "DVD to Mobile".

February 9th, 2007
DVDFab Platinum 3.0.8.0 Updated!

New: "Merge" feature to combine several titles of several sources into one DVD. For example, you can combine two DVD-9 like "The Lord of the Rings" into one DVD-9, or merge season DVDs to fewer discs, or create your own special features collection disc, etc.

January 30th, 2007
DVDFab Platinum 3.0.7.2 Updated!

Fix: A problem that some copy-protected DVDs, like "Attack Force", cannot be opened.
Fix: A crash problem when opening some copy-protected DVDs.
Fix: A problem that output folder cannot be created, if the DVD volume name contains illegal character.

January 28th, 2007
DVDFab Platinum 3.0.7.0 Updated!

New: Added support for a new copy protection as found on "Saw III" (US).
New: Batch processing for "DVD to Mobile", now you can convert several titles of several sources at one time.
New: Configure profile automatically for "DVD to Mobile".
New: "Set as Default" to save the customized profile.
New: "Reset DMA" to restore fast DVD reading speed.
Fix: A crash problem when converting AVI with IDX/SUB subtitle.

January 11th, 2007
DVDFab Platinum 3.0.5.5 Updated!

Change: Improved copy protection removal engine.
Change: Improved DVD reading speed.
Change: Updated VSO burning engine.
Change: VSO driver is signed now for Vista.
Change: Improved 18x speed writing.
Fix: Error 400 when copying DVD in certain cases.
Fix: Error 300 when copying DVD in certain cases.
Fix: A/V sync problem in certain cases for "DVD to Mobile".
Fix: A crash problem when there is no source for "Main Movie".
Fix: Failed to write when selecting DVD folder for "Write Data".
Fix: Real-time burning speed doesn't displayed.
Fix: A problem that some DVD content cannot be opened.

and CloneDVD:

Version 2.9.0.3: 2006 12 13
- New: Windows Vista (including 64bit versions) fully supported
- New: All drivers are now signed as per Microsoft requirements
- New: Setup file is now signed

YOU SEE, IT ALMOST LAUGHABLE !!!

So I think ANYDVD needs to get out of whatever agreement they have with ELBY when it comes up for review and start making their own version of CLONEDVD before they start losing their paying customers especially now that all previous DVDSHRINK users will be looking for a new software to start using because of all the problems they are having with the DVDSHRINK / ANYDVD combo and feel that ANYDVD is not helping them.

Thanks

YOU SEE, IT ALMOST LAUGHABLE !!!

So I think ANYDVD needs to get out of whatever agreement they have with ELBY when it comes up for review and start making their own version of CLONEDVD before they start losing their paying customers especially now that all previous DVDSHRINK users will be looking for a new software to start using because of all the problems they are having with the DVDSHRINK / ANYDVD combo and feel that ANYDVD is not helping them.

Thanks

There are some of the most dedicated Shrink users on this forum, including a moderator or two, and even some of the Slysoft team. And with the complete rewrite of the AnyDVD ripper, done just for Shrink users it would seem, how can you justify that statement?

Back