cloneDrive phantom drive letters

Discussion in 'Virtual CloneDrive' started by Tanquen, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Tanquen

Tanquen Well-Known Member

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

Doesn't look like a vcd problem. The H drive icon looks like that of a HDD but it is too small to be sure. Any chance you could post a bigger image of the drive entry?

That said there is a real quick way to know if H is a VCD drive. Right click the VCD icon, check if there is a drive enabled and if so hover with the mouse over the entry, it should show you the drive letter. Pro tip: tick the box that says 'virtual sheep', it'll turn the emulated drive icon into a VCD icon to clearly distinguish itself from real physical ones.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. Tanquen

VCD was uninstalled and the H drive is still there. Someone in that thread thought VCD may have caused their issue but I was given access to the PC with the issues and noticed that VCD was installed.

I was just hoping someone here had seen the issue. At this point it looks like we will have to reinstall Windows. We must have that H drive for a virtual drive mount.

upload_2021-9-2_13-33-18.png

Attached Files:

4. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

And the problem is? A drive letter you know it is not working?

5. Tanquen

A Drive letter for a drive that doesn't exist. Not there if you use the Net Use command and not there in Disk Management. There was only ever a C drive.

6. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

You need to reboot. Gone.

7. Tanquen

Many reboots and regedits and it is still there.

8. Tanquen

Something is holding onto the drive letter but it's not Net Use list and it's not in Disk Management. There is only the one real C drive no CD-ROM or anything. ???

9. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

I just did that and it was gone. Have you tried CCleaner and tried to go through safe mode before?

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  10. Tanquen

The H drive was found here:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices

Once the key was removed it was no longer listed and I can mount a working network drive with Net Use.