• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneCD does not detect virtual drive

tempyclonz

So I have heard good things about CloneCD and decided to give it a try. I am using v5.3.1.7.

I am using MagicDisc to mount an image but the virtual drive is not detected in CloneCD. I then tried daemon tools to see if this would work and CloneCD detects the virtual drives ok (I don't want to use daemon tools though).

To make sure it wasn't just a MagicDisc issue I tried ImgBurn, BlindWrite and DiscJuggler and they all show the MagicDisc virtual drive with no issues and am able to create an image from the mounted image. I would really like to continue using CloneCD so I hope this can be resolved in the next release.

Why not try VirtualCloneDrive. It's freeware and can be downloaded from the slysoft website.

Why not try VirtualCloneDrive. It's freeware and can be downloaded from the slysoft website.

Well that doesn't really help my question but I have tried VirtualCloneDrive before and it doesn't support a wide range of image formats that I use.

A brief summary of everything

Well that doesn't really help my question...

Hmm, I'm not sure you asked a question. Anyway it sounds like this is to do with the way that software can detect CD-ROM drives. I don't think there's much you can do about it.

As I understand it, you want to detect virtual drives in Clone CD. Presumably because Clone CD offers something above the norm, which I deduce is accurate disc layout. So you not only need a virtual drive to be detected, but one which mounts images completely and accurately. That being the case, I believe there are three tools still on the market.

• Virtual CloneDrive is exceptional, but as you say it only fully supports .ccd as well as single-track image formats like .iso. If you're looking at Clone CD, I imagine single-track formats are no use to you, even if you don't know it yet. People recommending Virtual CloneDrive for use with Clone CD don't seem to understand the paradox of needing Clone CD to make the multi-track .ccd image for Virtual CloneDrive to mount, to read into Clone CD as a virtual drive.
  • Daemon Tools is another solution, but I won't use that either. I don't like the company behind it one bit, nor do I trust what else they may have put into the code.
  • The last product is Alcohol 120% (or Alcohol 52%). My complaint with that software is that the installation management is a mess. This is true of Daemon Tools as well.
The conclusion is, if you want to mount multi-track images as virtual drives then Virtual CloneDrive is the best product around. To use it properly you must use .ccd format, but SlySoft make it very difficult to do so as they do not provide a way of creating the .ccd format from anything other than a real CD. Until they do something about this and stop driving customers away, you have to burn your image to a real disc, then use Clone CD to make a .ccd from that disc, then mount it in Virtual CloneDrive. You can avoid this ridiculous procedure by using a competitor's product such as Alcohol 120%. As far as I'm aware, those are your two choices... unless you don't need multi-track images in which case you're barking up the wrong tree altogether with Clone CD.

If you're using 32bit XP or 2K you can try FantomCD. It's old but still kicking around somewhere. If you don't need to mount multi-track images then try Microsoft's Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel. If you're on Windows 8 the same functionality is built-in.

Well that doesn't really help my question but I have tried VirtualCloneDrive before and it doesn't support a wide range of image formats that I use.

Exactly what format are you referring to? The common one is ISO so what are you asking about then? That might be why your having problem using to many formats causing program conflicts or those formats are corrupted when they were made to be not detected or being mounted. Are you confusing a ISO formatting and with something else???

Exactly what format are you referring to? The common one is ISO so what are you asking about then? That might be why your having problem using to many formats causing program conflicts or those formats are corrupted when they were made to be not detected or being mounted. Are you confusing a ISO formatting and with something else???

A few examples are mdf+mds, cdi, b6t, etc, which are not supported with VCD.

You are missing the point. It is not about my pc or my setup, which is Windows 7 SP1 x64 by the way. CloneCD doesn't detect the MagicDisc virtual drive that is detected in every other burning application I have tried, and no I don't run 10 different virtual drive software and burning programs side-by-side.

I wanted to hear from James or someone similar as to why this is the case. :confused:

I wanted to hear from James or someone similar as to why this is the case. :confused:

Probably because the virtual drive you are using is lacking something, which CloneCD needs.

Probably because the virtual drive you are using is lacking something, which CloneCD needs.

Are you sure it's not a problem with CloneCD? You could install the software and see what I mean for yourself.

I find it hard to believe that the drive is detected in ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP, BlindWrite and even DiscJuggler (which its last version came out in 2007) but ONLY CloneCD can't detect it.

Guess I won't be using either VCD or CloneCD then which is a shame as I actually do like the software. :(

So I have heard good things about CloneCD and decided to give it a try. I am using v5.3.1.7.

I am using MagicDisc to mount an image but the virtual drive is not detected in CloneCD. I then tried daemon tools to see if this would work and CloneCD detects the virtual drives ok (I don't want to use daemon tools though).

To make sure it wasn't just a MagicDisc issue I tried ImgBurn, BlindWrite and DiscJuggler and they all show the MagicDisc virtual drive with no issues and am able to create an image from the mounted image. I would really like to continue using CloneCD so I hope this can be resolved in the next release.

If have tested MagicDisc, and I believe I know where the problem is.

In their driver, they do a sanity check like this:

Code:
if (irpStack->Parameters.DeviceIoControl.InputBufferLength !=
	sizeof( SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT ) )
{
/* Epic fail ... */
}

The problem is, that InputBufferLength is larger than sizeof( SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT )for both CloneCD and AnyDVD. This is why both programs fail to work with MagicDisc.
I can't easily change this, as the AnyDVD and CloneCD drivers rely on additional data behind the SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT structure.

The creators of MagicDisc could easily change their sanity check like this:
Code:
if (irpStack->Parameters.DeviceIoControl.InputBufferLength <
	sizeof( SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT ) )
{
/* Epic fail ... */
}

This would solve the problem. Maybe they use InputBufferLength to distinguish 32 or 64 bit Io - a very, very bad idea. If they do, they should use the Length field at the beginning of the SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT structure instead.

Wow James! I wasn't expecting this level of help and so soon! :bowdown:

It does look like a simple fix which I hope the MagicDisc authors can do. The last release was in 2009 so I don't like my chances of getting it updated but you can never know.

I really do want to keep on using CloneCD so I will chase this up. Thanks for the help.

A few examples are mdf+mds, cdi, b6t, etc, which are not supported with VCD.

You are missing the point. It is not about my pc or my setup, which is Windows 7 SP1 x64 by the way. CloneCD doesn't detect the MagicDisc virtual drive that is detected in every other burning application I have tried, and no I don't run 10 different virtual drive software and burning programs side-by-side.

Well I didn't missed any point I figure it was a problem related to magic iso not anything CloneCD or VCD had problems with. This is what I find most odd when their software has problem using Slysoft product they immediately claim it's slysoft problem without doing some investigation to find out the problem isn't related to Slysoft or caused by Slysoft software otherwise we hear more about it already.

Well I didn't missed any point I figure it was a problem related to magic iso not anything CloneCD or VCD had problems with. This is what I find most odd when their software has problem using Slysoft product they immediately claim it's slysoft problem without doing some investigation to find out the problem isn't related to Slysoft or caused by Slysoft software otherwise we hear more about it already.

I understand where you are coming from and that is why I came here to investigate the issue, not point fingers. I just wanted to know why MagicDisc works in every other burning program but CloneCD, so there was the possibility that something was done different in this one (as well as in MagicDisc itself). Also, it is far easier to join this forum and post the question than chase up with MagicDisc.

I would also say that many people are not pedantic when it comes to these things. If they found the MagicDisc + CloneCD combination not to be working, they would just move on and use Daemon Tools, Alcohol, PowerIso, UltraIso, etc., which have no issues with any of these. Outside of specialty users, many people aren't using CloneCD these days as they used to with most people sticking to .ISO which can be done with any free burning software.

Back