• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneBD & TrueHD

So I did some experimenting...

I recreated Batman v Superman from the original disk (the BD that came with the UHD version) using MakeMKV and Handbrake. I loaded into Plex and tested. As I expected, it played perfectly. I then tried the one I created with CloneBD and it Plex transcoded it to Dolby Digital (and the picture was black). I then tried DD track on the same movie and it worked. I looked at the info from both copies using MediaInfo and found some differences.

Code:
CloneBD

ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : TrueHD
Format profile                           : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID                                 : A_TRUEHD
**Duration                                 : 2 h 31 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Maximum bit rate                         : 8 199 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions                        : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            :  / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
**Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless
*Title                                    : English
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

MakeMKV/Handbrake

ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : TrueHD
Format profile                           : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID                                 : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Maximum bit rate                         : 8 199 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions                        : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            :  / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossless
*Title                                    : Surround
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

* - Different
** - Does next exist in the Handbrake copy

I'm not sure what the differences mean but I do know that Handbrake version works perfectly.

2017-12-01%2019.52.15.jpg

2017-12-01%2019.53.37.jpg 2017-12-01%2019.56.24.jpg

I tried again with 1.1.7.2 and got the same result.

I guess I will have to use Handbrake for all of my TrueHD titles. Sadly this will take a lot of time since it doesn't use my nVidia card. :(

So i have ordered a Sony STRNDN1080 to rule out an issue with an out-date receiver not being able to decode the audio track properly Will provide an update when I've been able to test on the updated hardware.

So i have setup my new receiver (Sony STRNDN1080 5.1.2), downloaded the latest firmware. When i go into Plex to launch one of the TrueHD movies processed by CloneBD - i get the exact same result that i had with my old receiver. So at least i can confirm it's not hardware related. When i play the disc from my Blu-Ray player - it plays fine.

Which leads me to believe it's an error with Plex and/or the shield tv. Will head over to the Plex forums and see if they can figure it out as i haven't found any threads with the identical issue i'm hitting. Will let you know when i have an update.

So i have setup my new receiver (Sony STRNDN1080 5.1.2), downloaded the latest firmware. When i go into Plex to launch one of the TrueHD movies processed by CloneBD - i get the exact same result that i had with my old receiver. So at least i can confirm it's not hardware related. When i play the disc from my Blu-Ray player - it plays fine.

Which leads me to believe it's an error with Plex and/or the shield tv. Will head over to the Plex forums and see if they can figure it out as i haven't found any threads with the identical issue i'm hitting. Will let you know when i have an update.

Just for fun try Kodi with the official Plex plugin. I get TrueHD 100% of the time with that setup with my Shield TV.

Just for fun try Kodi with the official Plex plugin. I get TrueHD 100% of the time with that setup with my Shield TV.

So i downloaded Kodi and the Plex for Kodi app. After 30 minutes of trying - the best i could get was it to pass-through 7 channels of PCM to my receiver - This is likely user error as i'm not yet familiar with Kodi. I turned Passthrough on and set it to 7 channels, but did not see it get passed to my receiver. Seems on our Plex thread we have found another user with the same issue, but no updates from any Plex officials as of yet.

When I have a chance I'll take a snap of the settings in Kodi to get pass-thru. I know they are buried in the settings. I can't remember if you can get to them from the Plex Plugin (I think you can but it has been a while since I tried).

Back