• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneBD 1.0.6.0 beta

I think the compression slider for compressing to a file ideally needs adjusting for H.265.
At present it looks like choosing H.265 rather than H.264 doesn't produce a smaller file unless you also slide the slider more towards the red end.

Of course not. That's exactly how it is intended. YOU decide the output size.
h.265 produces better quality not smaller files.
Upcoming version will reflect the quality difference better by shifting the colors in the size slider.

Euhm h265 DOES produce smaller files. That's the whole idea behind it. Same or better quality than h264 at 1/5th of the space required.

Euhm h265 DOES produce smaller files. That's the whole idea behind it. Same or better quality than h264 at 1/5th of the space required.

h265 produces the size of file you told CloneBD to create.

If you run CloneBD set for 10GB output, then you'll get 10GB output. Regardless of whether you chose h.264 or h.265.
Quality will be better, when choosing h.265.

It's not that difficult.

1/5th btw is not really realistic. 50-60% of the size compared to h.264 for same quality is what is typically advertized.

H265 HEVC produces files that are smaller and with the quality of H264. The file is usually about 1/2 the size with great quality.
I'd like to call it H.265, because it sounds cool, but it's full name is High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC). It's the new successor to Advanced Video Coding (AVC), also known as H.264, which is one of the compression schemes used by Blu-ray.

The idea of HEVC is to offer the same level of picture quality as AVC, but with better compression, so there's less data to deal with. This is key if we want 4K/Ultra HD broadcasts (including satellite), 4K Blu-rays, and more.

H265 HEVC produces files that are smaller and with the quality of H264. The file is usually about 1/2 the size with great quality.
I'd like to call it H.265, because it sounds cool, but it's full name is High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC). It's the new successor to Advanced Video Coding (AVC), also known as H.264, which is one of the compression schemes used by Blu-ray.

The idea of HEVC is to offer the same level of picture quality as AVC, but with better compression, so there's less data to deal with. This is key if we want 4K/Ultra HD broadcasts (including satellite), 4K Blu-rays, and more.
Hello Slyfox1 will using H265 HEVC cause compatibility issues?

H.265 doesn't produce smaller files unless you lower the bitrate/size.
If you keep the same bitrate/size then H.265 will be the same size but better quality.

If you want the same quality as H.264 then you would just drag the slider down to lower the size/bitrate.

As Pete said the quality slider colours/indicator is the only thing that would need changing/fixing to represent H.265 benefits.
e.g. a 'Yellow' H.264 quality on the slider would actually be 'green' when switching to H.265, so if you then choose the same quality on the slider the H.265 output will be smaller.

Of course not. That's exactly how it is intended. YOU decide the output size.
h.265 produces better quality not smaller files.
Upcoming version will reflect the quality difference better by shifting the colors in the size slider.

Personally I always convert to files rather than make backup disks and I want the smallest file that is of acceptable quality to my eyes and will playback on my chosen playback device.

But I see that your way is also a reasonable approach, especially is you change the colours to reflect the improved performance of H.265.

H.265 doesn't produce smaller files unless you lower the bitrate/size.
If you keep the same bitrate/size then H.265 will be the same size but better quality.

If you want the same quality as H.264 then you would just drag the slider down to lower the size/bitrate.

As Pete said the quality slider colours/indicator is the only thing that would need changing/fixing to represent H.265 benefits.
e.g. a 'Yellow' H.264 quality on the slider would actually be 'green' when switching to H.265, so if you then choose the same quality on the slider the H.265 output will be smaller.
Encoding with HEVC is much more demanding than other video codecs. You’ll likely find that your videos take many times longer than before, and real-time encoding is virtually unheard of with home PCs. With that said, switching from an older standard to H.265/HEVC can substantially reduce the file size of your video library. It can also make streaming between devices easier.

Encoding with HEVC is much more demanding than other video codecs. You’ll likely find that your videos take many times longer than before, and real-time encoding is virtually unheard of with home PCs. With that said, switching from an older standard to H.265/HEVC can substantially reduce the file size of your video library. It can also make streaming between devices easier.

I understand, but only if the user chooses to lower the size/bitrate.
Keeping the same bitrate settings will result in the same file size at higher quality, this is why H.265 is able to reduce file size (while maintaining quality) if required.

I understand, but only if the user chooses to lower the size/bitrate.
Keeping the same bitrate settings will result in the same file size at higher quality, this is why H.265 is able to reduce file size (while maintaining quality) if required.
My point is that you can have an H265 library at the same quality if not better than H264 at half the file size. Yes it takes longer, but the quality and file size can add quite a bit of space to your choice of storage. This is the future of 4K and Bluray , to get a smaller file size at the same level of quality of AVC. Its really simple.

Hello Slyfox1 will using H265 HEVC cause compatibility issues?

Only if you try to use it on non-UHD blu-ray in disc mode. h265 is not supported under the STANDARD blu-ray specifications. File output (like .mkv) requires a compatible software player

My point is that you can have an H265 library at the same quality if not better than H264 at half the file size. Yes it takes longer, but the quality and file size can add quite a bit of space to your choice of storage. This is the future of 4K and Bluray , to get a smaller file size at the same level of quality of AVC. Its really simple.

Deleted my reply by mistake :D

H.265 isn't being used in the future Ultra HD Bluray format to reduce size/space/bitrate it is being used because it has superior quality at the same size/bitrate.

Deleted my reply by mistake :D

H.265 isn't being used in the future Ultra HD Bluray format to reduce size/space/bitrate it is being used because it has superior quality at the same size/bitrate.
Then technically it is saving space as the new discs will be UHD but taking up the same amount of space as HD files, so higher compression

Then technically it is saving space as the new discs will be UHD but taking up the same amount of space as HD files, so higher compression

Yes, you're right. I think I was just thinking about it in a weird/backwards way :LOL:

1.0.6.1 is coming soon with correct version number :)

fine with me, just don't forget to include that .dll file :p

It's possible that CloneBD will be tweaked, fine tuned and always improved. However, there is a market waiting for CloneDVD Mobile to get a face lift (just a friendly reminder).

I think the point is maybe more, that both 1059 and 1060 are betas. By definition, one downloads a beta at own risk and prepared for oddities. If 1060 was an official release then I think "Recycle" would have a decent point albeit somewhat aggressively expressed.
Beta is beta but if the version confuses uses then they might install a older version not realizing it. Even beta should be correct revision so users can reply back how it works on their system. That way bug tracking can be done properly.

It's possible that CloneBD will be tweaked, fine tuned and always improved. However, there is a market waiting for CloneDVD Mobile to get a face lift (just a friendly reminder).

And that will happen when CloneBD is stable. It's been said long ago that the major version of CDVDM will use the same encoding engine of CloneBD, so until that happens, there's not going to be a new version of CDVDM

Back