• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cinavia, Feb, 1, 2012 and forwards

Are we going to start with this nonsense again? :rolleyes: Yes, it will be added to COMMERCIALLY LICENSED blu-ray playing software on the HTPC. But it will NOT be added to players that don't have an AACSLA license. J River MC17, MPC-HC, PotPlayer, VLC, etc, etc. NONE of those will have Cinavia detection. TMT/PDVD/WinDVD inevitably will at some point. But an HTPC is quite useful even without licensed commercial software.

and when it'll be added to them licensed software bd-players it'll hopefully make it easier to crack it if it hasn't been cracked already by then.

are we going to start with this nonsense again? :rolleyes: Yes, it will be added to commercially licensed blu-ray playing software on the htpc. But it will not be added to players that don't have an aacsla license. J river mc17, mpc-hc, potplayer, vlc, etc, etc. None of those will have cinavia detection. Tmt/pdvd/windvd inevitably will at some point. But an htpc is quite useful even without licensed commercial software.

<facepalm>

Apparently so...

<sigh>

How? The spec was finished and couldn't be updated...

I am just saying what I recall from my faint memory. James did say something about cinavia in HD DVD though I am not exactly sure what it was :eek: or may be I am mixing things up.

Last edited:
I mean technically they could have done it...but, the spec was complete. There was no "profile 1.0" "profile 1.1" "profile 2.0" etc with HD DVD. So any player bought in the beginning was guaranteed to be compatible with every title....unlike a certain....other "standard" we all know and love. So yea, they could have added it somehow, and maybe new players would have supported it, but, all old players would have been immune. Similar to how blu-ray is today only more so as there was no BD+.

Yeap, that is right it could be enforced on new players.

On a side note what is your HTPC setup made up of.
Also are you happy with it, any regrets or similar matter. I am trying to build one thought I might ask?

HEH. I literally just in the past day or so rebuilt my rig. I'm rocking an i7 3770K, 16 gigs of 2133 DDR3, AMD 5870, and a OCZ Vertex 4 SSD on my main HTPC. I've got an i5 2400S, 16 gigs of 1600 DDR3, nVidia 450, and a 3TB baracuda on my bedroom HTPC. Both machines run TMT5 and J River MC17. My i7 has had some setbacks and is getting a mobo replacement later in the week. My Z77Asus board is defective and only allowing me to currently use 8 gigs of the ram. 2 DIMM slots are blown.

However, yes, I'm extremely happy with them. They're super fast and handle all my video editing/encoding/playing needs with ease. The i7 can transcode a blu-ray to iPad size in 7 minutes using QuickSync and Media Converter 7.5 from ArcSoft.

And, no Cinavia. :)

Not sure if this is it, but I just picked up a Sony - 3D Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player BDPS590 and tried playing my backup of Woman in Black (a Sony film), which played fine on my older Sony blu ray. After about 10 min into the movie I got a message saying it was protected material and the sound went out. I popped it back in to the new player the next day to try to recreate it but it played fine.

Not sure if this is it, but I just picked up a Sony - 3D Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player BDPS590 and tried playing my backup of Woman in Black (a Sony film), which played fine on my older Sony blu ray. After about 10 min into the movie I got a message saying it was protected material and the sound went out. I popped it back in to the new player the next day to try to recreate it but it played fine.

So the player that detected cinavia once, didn't detect it the second time? That's highly irregular!

$ony has been a thorn in my side for some time now...

cinavia in AV receiver firmware

At present I use my HTPC for playing all my dvd's so I don't currently have a problem with Cinavia. However, I am looking at getting a surround sound system which will include an Onkyo 616 AV receiver, which I noticed has had a recent firmware update to include Cinavia. I was wondering how this would effect the few Cinavia dvd rips I have, and would there be a work around, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Isn't the Cinavia only for the built in media player, otherwise how does it know if your input through HDMI etc is playing back from an original or a copy?

I guess the firmware in the av receiver picks up the watermark in the audio stream as it would with hardware players and checks if the css is present as it won't be with a dvd rip I guess it will stop the audio, need further clarification if possible on this point

I guess the firmware in the av receiver picks up the watermark in the audio stream as it would with hardware players and checks if the css is present as it won't be with a dvd rip I guess it will stop the audio, need further clarification if possible on this point

NO. It can't. I'll save my frustrated rant and simply say NO.

I am looking at getting a surround sound system which will include an Onkyo 616 AV receiver, which I noticed has had a recent firmware update to include Cinavia.
Where have you read this? Google turns up nothing.

So, either, please:

1. stop being so gullible.
or
2. stop spreading FUD.

NO. It can't. I'll save my frustrated rant and simply say NO.

Since the receiver would only receive unencrypted audio, it would have no way of knowing if the source was a copy or not.

Last edited:
Yes exactly. There's so much FUD being spread about this stupid cinavia nonsense. "It's the end of the world. Your toaster will have cinavia!" Give me a break. Once the streams leave the player, guess what, nothing in that chain can determine whether there was AACS on the disc or not. Because by definition it has to be removed in order to play it. People just don't stop to think. They spread nonsense cause it sounds good.

Where have you read this? Google turns up nothing.

So, either, please:

1. stop being so gullible.
or
2. stop spreading FUD.
Ironically, a Yahoo! search for "onkyo 616 cinavia" shows this page as the second hit. The first? Someone with the same username posting basically the same question on the competition's Cinavia blog page. Strong case for FUD... :bang:

Yes exactly. There's so much FUD being spread about this stupid cinavia nonsense. "It's the end of the world. Your toaster will have cinavia!" Give me a break. Once the streams leave the player, guess what, nothing in that chain can determine whether there was AACS on the disc or not. Because by definition it has to be removed in order to play it. People just don't stop to think. They spread nonsense cause it sounds good.

The following is a question and hypotetical situation not a fact.

Since the Cinavia patent mentions looking for two watermarks in the audio stream, and this is independant from AACS, BD+, etc., do you think that it would be possible for a Cinavia implementation to do this? Theoretically, there are supposed to be two watermarks in the audio stream, a strong one (difficult to remove) and a weak one (removed by the slightest change in the audio file). Could a simple audio receiver perform the detection and mute the audio if it was sent audio that had the encryption removed (weak watermark gone)?

Back