• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Character limit (64) on file names?

herby1620

I can nicely mount an ISO image file. There is one SLIGHT problem. If the last part of the file name (actual file name) is more than 64 characters it is silently truncated to 64 characters. From the looks of it the file IS there, but its name isn't.

In poking around, I note that the 7zip program has a similar problem with these file names. If I mount the ISO file using a loopback under Linux, I can see all the characters of the file name.

Something isn't right here.

Not the problem I thought it was

Well, after some deliberations, and making a discovery, it turns out that the problem isn't in Virtual Clone Drive. You see the Joliet specification says you should truncate at 64 characters, and wouldn't you know it, but the CD generation program (genisoimage on Linux) does exactly that. Now for the good news: The nice program (again genisoimage) has an option to allow LONG names in the Joliet file name location (it uses Unicode there). I specified it, and all is well with the world.

So, if you have this problem, take a good look at the mastering software. If it applies STRICT Joliet specifications, it will have a 64 character limit. If you are in luck, this limitation can be overriden (as I did).

Good luck, enjoy your weekends.

Back