• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Changes in Version 1.5.0.1

LOL.

Sound good but I already explained why deciding title-by-title will be my personal preference.

I just did a couple of downloads of each type from HBO Max and there's no doubt that the AVC version provides a more detail picture on my 4K screen.

No doubt at all! :=)

It also is taking up 50% more space on my Hard Drive - lol.

So, as I mentioned, for some titles I'll want the full magilla with an AVC download -- and for some HEVC and its storage savings will be the way to go.

T
What you do not understand is, that while building a new GUI your ask may be a viable solution, but changing a GUI that's already in place and active is not. The HBOMax GUI was built from the bottom up.

Am I stupid or doesn't it work for me?
I have set HEVC to AP Channel (Paramount+), regardless of whether it is CBR or CVBR, and confirmed with OK, but the downloads are still AVC
Screenshot 2023-02-09 151250.png

Screenshot 2023-02-09 155024.png

Attachments

• prime-Star Trek- Strange New Worlds_S01E01_Strange New Worlds.astlog
    576.2 KB · Views: 1
could be that since its throu a channel the channel do not offer HEVC?

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what I download from AP, it always stays with AVC

Aw come on Dave, looks like you haven't been reading the main V1.5.0.1 thread. You are correct it doesn't work for you or for anyone else. The developer put that in this beta to see whether this setting would be applicable. It seems not to be. The CBR file is basically a larger file with higher bitrates. Using the HEVC H265 codec does not work with it for now obvious reasons, HEVC compresses the file as you know this defeats the purpose of CBR, adding pixels to make the film (for some people)a better quality picture (and a larger file). My view on CBR is not applicable here, because I do not believe that just because it has a higher bitrate and more pixels it doesn't automatically make the picture quality better than CVBR and HEVC. The difference between CBR and CVBR is in the eye of the beholder. I like CVBR better, for obvious reasons. First, it saves 40% storage on my hard drive with HEVC, and second the quality difference if there is any at all can only be seen with the best quality equipment, top-shelf stuff, that I don't believe most users of AnyStream have, of course, I have no way of knowing this, maybe I am the only one in this forum who still doesn't have a 60" OLED 4K screen with a sound system that would work well in a theater. That said, the average user of AnyStream wants to enjoy the content on a nice screen with comfort and if the picture has no distortion or fragments in it, it's an enjoyable experience. These are just my thoughts, I may be very wrong and we have a forum full of videophiles and directors, and producers who will not settle for any less than pure visual perfection. I guess we will find out when the full version of 1.5.0.2 is released. I will leave my setting at HEVC/CVBR and enjoy a good movie.:) Yes when you use the CBR/HEVC setting it defaults to AVC

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what I download from AP, it always stays with AVC
Use the HEVC/CVBR setting and press okay at the bottom of the setting page. Open and close AnyStream or use the F5 prompt on your keyboard to activate your setting.

could be that since its throu a channel the channel do not offer HEVC?

I didn't see a reply to this but this isn't universally true. AMC+ certainly gives me HEVC CVBR at least on one of the shows I'm currently watching. Once Outlander's new season comes out I'll add Starz again and try it there, as well.

Do we know of channels that don't offer HEVC? I haven't seen any listed in this thread so more curious than anything.

I didn't see a reply to this but this isn't universally true. AMC+ certainly gives me HEVC CVBR at least on one of the shows I'm currently watching. Once Outlander's new season comes out I'll add Starz again and try it there, as well.

Do we know of channels that don't offer HEVC? I haven't seen any listed in this thread so more curious than anything.
It's not a fact of offering it or not. I think HEVC can be enabled on any movie or episode, on HBOMax or Amazon and all its sub-channels and Netflix and even Disney and Hulu, it is the way the codec is called for that specific film. I know our developers
can enable this and already have for all Amazon and its sub-channels and HBOMax. Who knows, maybe in the future we can also do it with Netflix. ;):)

Last edited:

Hi SamuriHL,

The Outlander series via Starz Channel/Amazon all tagged as downloading HEVC ok and so far are good to go - here in US - CST zone.

As did all the "extras" included for this series.

Downloading all in HEVC now...

(See attached)

Mike

US - CST, No VPN

Attachments

• up1.jpg
    up1.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 6
  • up2.jpg
    up2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I am assume we have your seal of approval on the drop-down box for HEVC in Hulu. ;)

Damn! I missed that. WOW yea that's freaking awesome! Now can you get me 5.1 audio? :p Kidding, kidding! This is very kuel!

VLC is very laggy for some reason.

When I started with AnyStream a few days ago, I was trying to figure out what format to use for HBOMax and had the same problem with VLC. I don't have a very powerful computer or even a graphics card, as my older DELL Precision workstation is fine for work. In the end, the solution was very simple - just turn off hardware acceleration completely in VLC and from then HEVC in 4K is completely problem free. Maybe it will help you, it depends a lot on the CPU, sometimes it's better go that way.

When I started with AnyStream a few days ago, I was trying to figure out what format to use for HBOMax and had the same problem with VLC. I don't have a very powerful computer or even a graphics card, as my older DELL Precision workstation is fine for work. In the end, the solution was very simple - just turn off hardware acceleration completely in VLC and from then HEVC in 4K is completely problem free. Maybe it will help you, it depends a lot on the CPU, sometimes it's better go that way.
Thank you for your input Polaris.:)

Back