• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Captain Phillips subtitles not visible

DaveC

I tried ripping the DVD of Captain Phillips only to find that the subtitles (displayed on screen when the Somali pirates are speaking to each other in their native tongue) did not come through to the ripped version. I also tried ripping the Blu-Ray disc with the same result. Has anyone else had this problem?

UPDATE: Installing the newest update for AnyDVD HD (version 7.4.2.0) fixed the problem. The forced subtitles are now working. Thanks SlySoft!

Last edited:
subtitles always come through. There are no seperate "subtitle files", anydvd rips as is and does not touch subs like that. The problem is your playback software or in case you converted to a mobile format, the converter

There are 2 English subtitle files on Captain Phillips, usually when there are 2, 1 is for the hearing impaired and the second is the forced subtiles (the one you want). I just choose both when you process your ripped file. It does not increase the size much. Make sure you have the subtitles turned on on your player, you might just have to pick the correct one.

The subtitles on the Blu-ray of Captain Phillips are the type where the forced subs are imbedded in the same track as the regular subs. I believe ClownBD is helpful for these type subtitle tracks.

Help ripping captain philips - i

I tried ripping the DVD of Captain Phillips only to find that the subtitles (displayed on screen when the Somali pirates are speaking to each other in their native tongue) did not come through to the ripped version. I also tried ripping the Blu-Ray disc with the same result. Has anyone else had this problem?

UPDATE: Installing the newest update for AnyDVD HD (version 7.4.2.0) fixed the problem. The forced subtitles are now working. Thanks SlySoft!

I'm a new-bee to the ripping and have spent countless dollars buying software that doesn't work or works but not for all dvd's. I tried ripping captain Philips using Make MKV, AOA DVD Ripper and Data Shrink Blue Ray Converter.

Can someone tell me what the best software is to use on ripping captain Philips and other hard to rip dvd's.

Tnx,

Jake

I'm a new-bee to the ripping and have spent countless dollars buying software that doesn't work or works but not for all dvd's. I tried ripping captain Philips using Make MKV, AOA DVD Ripper and Data Shrink Blue Ray Converter.

Can someone tell me what the best software is to use on ripping captain Philips and other hard to rip dvd's.

Tnx,

Jake

I have had tremendous success with AntDVD HD from SlySoft. When you run into any issues ripping a DVD or BluRay disc, the problem is usually fixed with the next release of the software. Captain Phillips was the first DVD in forever that I can remember having problems with. Within two days of my reporting the problem, a new release of AnyDVD HD from SlySoft fixed the problem.

Good to hear

I am using a DVD from Redbox, but I cannot get the forced captions in English. There are 2 English subtitles -- one for 100% English, and the other for the hearing impaired (so its more verbose). It's weird though that the DVD has the ability to force captions in French. It may just be that Redbox bought the wrong one. I am using the current version of AnyDVD indicated in this thread. I've never had this problem before.

Any thoughts?

Don't ever say in this forum or any other that you are ripping something from Redbox. That is illegal. It is your disc that you bought and want to backup. Get it?

I am using a DVD from Redbox, but I cannot get the forced captions in English. There are 2 English subtitles -- one for 100% English, and the other for the hearing impaired (so its more verbose). It's weird though that the DVD has the ability to force captions in French. It may just be that Redbox bought the wrong one. I am using the current version of AnyDVD indicated in this thread. I've never had this problem before.

Any thoughts?

Captain Phillips is a tricky one.

For some reason, to get forced subtitles of them speaking ???Somalian??? and have the movie not show English subtitles...

I must turn off subtitles and make sure English 2 is entered for XBMC to play the movie correctly. If I change it to subtitles off and English 1, nothing shows up. You would think turning off subtitles would have no effect on what subtitle choice is (not) selected, but that's not the case for me.

Back