• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't rip Matrix HD DVD with AnyDVD HD v6.4.0.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this blows. That's pretty pathetic that all three discs have the same problem. Clearly WB sucks. Only other thing I can think of is to put the drive in my XP machine and see if it will work there.

Only other thing I can think of is to put the drive in my XP machine and see if it will work there.

That might be a good idea. I have to admit that I didn't test with a GGC-H20L, but that really shouldn't make any difference.

Well this blows. That's pretty pathetic that all three discs have the same problem. Clearly WB sucks. Only other thing I can think of is to put the drive in my XP machine and see if it will work there.

Give it a try but I seriously do suspect all 3 discs are fubar. Quality control really fell down on a lot of HD DVD's. The problem is not, unfortunately, unique to HD DVD, but, I don't hear as much about BD's having these kinds of problems...yet.

No. He used the X-box drive (with some kind of special hacked drivers; he says he was having trouble under Vista 64bit without using different drivers)

But a few weeks ago I was messing around with a LG GGW-H20L (I decided I didn't like it . . . but won't go into detail, except I didn't like the +R DL burn quality that I was getting), and I didn't experience issues with The Matrix Ultimate Collection.

By the way, I also decided I don't like Powerdvd, and the situation with software players really needs to change drastically before I jump into HTPC use for HD movies (but that's another conversation).

Last edited:
By the way, I also decided I don't like Powerdvd, and the situation with software players really needs to change drastically before I jump into HTPC use HD movies (but that's another conversation).

You're just *NOW* realizing this?! :D This is a LONG conversation not suited to this thread.

You're just *NOW* realizing this?! :D This is a LONG conversation not suited to this thread.
If you compare PowerDVD to the rest of the pack, it isn't really that bad. For SD media it is unusable (no ReClock support), but for SD there are many great players available (ZoomPlayer, Media Player Classic).

Nero Showtime? If Nero says on their website "doesn't play some BD-J titles" I won't even try it out.

WinDVD9 is a joke, completely unusable for BD on two of my test systems. Doesn't play images from VCD.

I am currently testing TMT, but it crashes with the French Studio Canal HD DVDs like "Ran". (EDIT: WinDVD crashes, too. PowerDVD plays them fine)
BD works pretty good, ReClock works. VCD works. I am not sure what sound formats it supports. Still testing. Overall, looks promising.

It serves it's purpose, but, let's not kid ourselves...it's not even close to perfect. Selling an "upgrade" for 59 usd that brings absolutely no value to the table whatsoever is not a good business move on their part. Removing HD DVD support, idiotic. So yea, version 7 currently does all we need, but, at some point we may be forced into upgrading to 8 which then removes the ability to play HD DVD and god knows what other restrictions they'll impose in the future. Yes, we can keep 7 on the machine for HD DVD playback, but, come on...should I really have to? Arcsoft doesn't work well for me. I tried the trial, and it was unstable. I may try it again, we'll see. Showtime, yea, not so much. So PowerDVD is the best of the bunch, but, rotten apples are rotten apples.

Just tried TMT again. Yea, it's as big of a waste of time as the first time I tried it. I mount an image, ANY image, and it crashes immediately. It plays the Matrix from disc ok. Sound seems locked to 640kbps no matter what track I choose. (Don't remember if that's all the Matrix has but somehow I seriously doubt it). All in all, still not impressed. Uninstalled and as far as I'm concerned, completely unusable on my system.

EDIT: no, the Matrix has a higher quality track that plays great in PowerDVD. Haven't watched this disc since I redid my sound. Sounds GREAT!

Last edited:
Just tried TMT again. Yea, it's as big of a waste of time as the first time I tried it. I mount an image, ANY image, and it crashes immediately. It plays the Matrix from disc ok. Sound seems locked to 640kbps no matter what track I choose. (Don't remember if that's all the Matrix has but somehow I seriously doubt it). All in all, still not impressed. Uninstalled and as far as I'm concerned, completely unusable on my system.

Meanwhile I reached the same conclusion. Plays the Matrix fine from folder, but... stutters with 1080/24. Works only correctly with 1080/60. This is a showstopper.
I noticed the 640kBit display on the TruHD track, but I believe (hope?) this is just an error in the display. At least 24bit samples reach the soundcard, which is nice (PowerDVD 7.3 downsamples to 16 bit, but I can live with this - if I have to).
Despite my first belief, it does *not* work correctly with ReClock. It stutters and crashes after a while. Too much anti hacking code inside? ;)
Anyway, I agree, it is unusable at this moment.

So, this leaves PowerDVD 7.3 as the only usable HD player (Don't have PowerDVD 8, and don't intend to upgrade soon). What a shame. I have to live with its shortcomings (no playback from folder, audio downsampling).

ISo yea, version 7 currently does all we need, but, at some point we may be forced into upgrading to 8 which then removes the ability to play HD DVD and god knows what other restrictions they'll impose in the future. Yes, we can keep 7 on the machine for HD DVD playback, but, come on...should I really have to?
I wonder if a BD/HD DVD combo drive like the LG drive has separate revocation lists for BD and HD DVD? I doubt it. So inserting an MKBv7 BD disc may render all your HD DVD discs unplayable, if the host certificate from PowerDVD 7 is revoked. Oh, that will upset quite a few people.

OTOH you probably won't need to upgrade PowerDVD, 'cause AnyDVD HD takes care of the AACS stuff. I don't see any reason why PowerDVD 7 won't work forever, if you update AnyDVD HD on a regular basis.

Meanwhile I reached the same conclusion. Plays the Matrix fine from folder, but... stutters with 1080/24. Works only correctly with 1080/60. This is a showstopper.
I noticed the 640kBit display on the TruHD track, but I believe (hope?) this is just an error in the display. At least 24bit samples reach the soundcard, which is nice (PowerDVD 7.3 downsamples to 16 bit, but I can live with this - if I have to).
Despite my first belief, it does *not* work correctly with ReClock. It stutters and crashes after a while. Too much anti hacking code inside? ;)
Anyway, I agree, it is unusable at this moment.

So, this leaves PowerDVD 7.3 as the only usable HD player (Don't have PowerDVD 8, and don't intend to upgrade soon). What a shame. I have to live with its shortcomings (no playback from folder, audio downsampling).

I don't think it's an error in the display. When I switched to PowerDVD the sound was NOTICEABLY better quality on the same track. That's very disturbing to say the least.

So yes, that leaves us with PowerDVD 7.3 which puts us in a bad spot as far as I'm concerned. I just verified a small bug found by SuperGoof where audio for the Simpsons Movie trailer on FF: RotSS doesn't work at all. Main movies all seem to work just fine but this is annoying. Only happens on 3730a as far as I know. The likelihood that we'll see a version beyond this for 7.3...very small IMO. I HOPE I'm wrong about that. But my guess is they'll focus their efforts on 8. I'm really torn now. I don't really WANT to upgrade but I'm not sure we have much of a choice. I'd like the better sound decoding for one. I'm debating just biting the bullet and buying the damn thing.

Unless you want to give me hope that Slysoft is actively working on a media player of their own and will have a release within the next few months. :D ;)

I wonder if a BD/HD DVD combo drive like the LG drive has separate revocation lists for BD and HD DVD? I doubt it. So inserting an MKBv7 BD disc may render all your HD DVD discs unplayable, if the host certificate from PowerDVD 7 is revoked. Oh, that will upset quite a few people.

OTOH you probably won't need to upgrade PowerDVD, 'cause AnyDVD HD takes care of the AACS stuff. I don't see any reason why PowerDVD 7 won't work forever, if you update AnyDVD HD on a regular basis.

Peer and I discussed that on the Doom9 forum, as well. My problem is what happens when BD Live discs start coming out. I believe one's out already but I've yet to hear whether there's any playback issues on 7.3 so far. But when profile 1.1 titles came out, such as Resident Evil Extinction, we had massive playback problems until a patch was released. What the hell happens to us when we start having BD Live problems? "Oh, sorry, pay the 59 bucks and go away"?? That'll really piss me off.

I'm not as worried about the AACS revokation as I'm sure you guys will deal with that. Nonetheless, if they do revoke PowerDVD 7's MKB v4 at some point, that'd truly blow if an update isn't made available. Again "oh, sorry, pay the 59 bucks and go away" just doesn't cut it for me. (Not that it'd help with HD DVD to do so...) Still debating just biting the bullet now and grabbing the update. GRRRRRR. I REALLY hate that company with a passion now.

GGC-H20L in XP machine now, attempting to rip the movie with anydvdhd 6.4.0.7

Failed to rip in the XP machine as well. Since you guys could rip in exact drive with exact same firmware, and I've had no problems at all with the drive, I have come to the conclusion that all the discs are f**cked. Great Job Warner Bros., you really have a handle on quality control!

That would be my conclusion, as well. Glad you got it figured out even if it does suck.

Failed to rip in the XP machine as well. Since you guys could rip in exact drive with exact same firmware, and I've had no problems at all with the drive, I have come to the conclusion that all the discs are f**cked. Great Job Warner Bros., you really have a handle on quality control!
OT:
Wait until you use Blu-ray. I have bought "The Prestige" (Region A, US) March 2007. It worked perfectly fine.
EDIT: After you have skipped an amazing number of trailers, warnings, ... Oh, I hate Disney!
Now I wanted to retest Region code removal for the AnyDVD 6.4.0.7 beta, but I couldn't. The disc is not readable anymore! Under the protective layer are little brown "speckles".
I am very concerned, if BD discs "dissolve" after just one year... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back