• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't navigate BD menus with PowerDVD, WASAPI and ReClock

magicland

Hi there,

Long time user of ReClock, first time poster.. This is a tricky problem to explain so here goes...

I'm using Reclock v1.8.6.2 together with PowerDVD 9 exclusively for blu-ray disc playback. All working perfectly except for one thing: I'm unable to properly navigate the movie root menu's on various discs. By "properly" I mean this:

1. pop a disc in and load up PDVD
2. playback gets to the movie's root menu (play, special features etc etc)
3. hit the right or left keys on my remote (or arrows on my keyboard) 2 or 3 times and then nothing....PDVD hangs and I have to kill the process.

Here's what I know:

1. No issues at all if I stop ReClock from loading with PDVD
2. Seems to only occur with WASAPI selected in ReClock (for PCM output over HDMI), not a problem if a use DirectShow
3. Seems to be unique to "newer" discs which contain "sound effects" when navigating the menu items. This seems to be the key as these sounds are only heard if ReClock is NOT loaded.

Running Win7 x64.

I appreciate this is probably an obscure problem but I'd appreciate any suggestions or perhaps a fix? Let me know if I can provide any further details.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The Blu-ray specs mandate that the player must be able to do the sound decoding and mixing, to be able to mix "sound effects" in menus, do interactive content, and also commentary tracks etc.
I don't know how PowerDVD works internally, but it might just be that when it's asked to mix sounds by a disc, its renderer uses DirectSound to do it instead of doing it all by itself, which would explain why it has problems with exclusive mode. Just an idea. :confused:

Works fine with PDVD7 in WASAPI exclusive mode here. No idea about PDVD9.

Works fine with PDVD7 in WASAPI exclusive mode here. No idea about PDVD9.

I just tried PDVD7 (removed 9 first) and I experience the exact same problem. What's your speaker env in PDVD set to? PCM over HDMI or somthing else?

I don't know how PowerDVD works internally, but it might just be that when it's asked to mix sounds by a disc, its renderer uses DirectSound to do it instead of doing it all by itself, which would explain why it has problems with exclusive mode. Just an idea.

I actually think you might be onto something here.

I've attached a log file for the developers. Hopefully this will point to a cause. I captured the issue from start to finish, ie, up to the point where the BD disc loads and ReClock causes PDVD to hang after a brief period of navigating the main menu. Let me know if I can assist further. I'd love to get to the bottom of this.

Cheers.

[EDIT] I don't pretend to understand the log contents but this looks a little suspicious:
24.89s 000aac WARNING WASAPI buffer overflow!
24.89s 000aac WARNING WASAPI buffer overflow!

Attachments

• reclock_log.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I have PDVD7 set to 8-Speakers.

Reclock then passes that out as PCM over HDMI (WASAPI exclusive). I am on W7 32-bit. Honestly, no problems at all.

Maybe it's a Win7 x64 thing. I have the latest video and HDMI drivers (ATI4550). I've tried the alternate Realtek drivers also but the problem's the same.

Any luck interpreting the logfile please?

Last edited:
So, those having problems, how are you configuring PDVD audio? "HDMI" or "6/8 speaker"?

So, those having problems, how are you configuring PDVD audio? "HDMI" or "6/8 speaker"?

"5.1" is one of the actual settings available in my version of PDVD and the one I'm using. I'm also choosing the option to decode to PCM. For all intents and purposes this works fine with ReClock so long as you direct your output (in ReClock) to DirectSound or Waveout. The problem described relates to choosing WASAPI only which, as fate would have it, sounds the best of the lot!

I realise you are using PDVD9, which I do not use, so the settings sound like they are different. But my point is it sounds like you are setting pDVD to use "HDMI" and then telling it to decode to PCM. Have you tried (is it possible?) to simply tell it to decode to 6 speakers, ignoring the fact that you have an HDMI sound device altogether? That is what I do with PDVD7 (and done it with 8 too). There is no need, certainly with 7 & 8, to tell PDVD you are using HDMI (unless you are using HD bitstreaming of course).

I realise you are using PDVD9, which I do not use, so the settings sound like they are different. But my point is it sounds like you are setting pDVD to use "HDMI" and then telling it to decode to PCM.

sorry, no. There is an explicit hdmi setting and I amnot using this. I get no audio using this option and I assume it's for bitstreaming only which my hd4550 video card does not support. Decoding 5.1 PCM channels only, as confirmed by my receiver.

Are you able to interperate the logfile I uploaded? Is this of any interest to the developers?

Last edited:
What's the exact version/build no of pdvd that you say works? What version of reclock and are you using anydvd in conjunction with this? Video card? Anything else of note? You certainly sound like the minority as there are others on this forum who are reporting the same problem I am. Are you sure you are using WASAPI in reclock? How many BD discs have you tried? The problem doesn't affect all titles. Just the ones with mixed sound effects in the main menu, or so it seems.

Thanks.

Last edited:
PDVD7 Ultra 4617a.
Reclock 1.8.6.2
ATI 5750, Cat 10.1 (video and audio drivers)
Yes, AnyDVD HD always loaded
Yes, defintiely using WASAPI! :)
Many, many discs of many flavours. I am sure the problem does not happen here.

I have not heard of others having problems with PDVD 7 or 8. Maybe your test of PDVD7 was a bit rushed or there is some other common factor in those having issues.

James would need to be the one to look at your logs. I had a brief look, but the log did not look complete. This might, of course, be because of your problem, but it looked more like the file was truncated, so it might be worth checking the whole thing is there. The errors you mentioned did not seem that significant to me, it seems the did not occur at the time playback stopped, but as I said that is more a question for James.

What video/audio drivers are you using. I would definitely consider trying 10.1 if not using them already (clean uninstall the others first). I was able to get all sorts of applications to hang when using MPC-HC, WASAPI and the Realtek driver 2.39. MPC-HC did not close down the exclusive WASAPI interface when it closed, even though Reclock asked it to, so no other application could play audio. For many apps including PDVD that lead to the application hanging. The ATI 10.1 audio driver does not have the same problem. You have to uninstall the Realtek driver before ATI Catalyst Installer will let you install the ATI HDMI driver.

Last edited:
Thanks. Already using the 10.1 drivers (not realtek). Also did a fresh install on the weekend. I am not using anydvd however so maybe that's what's "protecting" you from the issue.

The Logfile probably appears incomplete because PDVD hangs. I need to terminate it abnormally to continue.

I am getting the same problem with nVIDIA with stereo pcm over spdif internal soundcard-videocard connector. the problem is not video card or HDMI related

Ok. So it turns out that this DOES work with PDVD v7.

Since I bought v9 though and am lost without Reclock, any chance this could get looked at some time in the near future please?

Thanks again.

Back