• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't get PowerDVD to fill 1080 screen.

Tanquen

I can’t get any HD-DVD or Blu-ray to fill the screen. It’s version 7.3.3104a.1 and if in full screen there are only too options for aspect ratio: Keep Aspect Ration and Stretch To Fit The Screen. In full screen mode both look the same and both leave a large border all the way around. If I play a regular DVD it will fit to the screen. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

same problem. no solution :(

do you still have the boarder, if you just play the m2ts-file?

Are you guys using ATI 2400/2600 cards? If yes, there is an easy solution (registry tweak).

same problem. no solution :(

do you still have the boarder, if you just play the m2ts-file?

It does make it much better but there is still a small boarder on the sides for Blu-Ray but it’s no help for the HD-DVD.

Are you guys using ATI 2400/2600 cards? If yes, there is an easy solution (registry tweak).

I am using two ATI 1900 cards. I’ve not been doing this for long but I think it all worked before the ATI 7.12 drivers. I may try going back to the other drivers but it was such a pain to get the 7.12 drivers on. I’m using two Dell 27” monitors with one rotated and the drivers freak out every time I update. Even with the old drivers I recall having to minimize and then maximize or toggle the aspect ratio from time to time to get some of the movies full width. I’ll look for the registry tweak.

you need to install ati catalyst software.
dont remember all the facts but i think the default is -15% underscan
there is a slide bar to allow you to set it to 0%

if you need more info i will find it for you.
hope this helps

you need to install ati catalyst software.
dont remember all the facts but i think the default is -15% underscan
there is a slide bar to allow you to set it to 0%

if you need more info i will find it for you.
hope this helps

Already have that. Interesting, I use that setting to get the DVI to HDMI full screen out to my Pioneer 6010. That works fine. The default will leave my desktop on the TV with a black boarder all the way around. I did not know it had any effect on PowerDVD. When I set it to 0 it looks like a dot to dot setting for my desktop on the TV with no black boarder at all. PowerDVD is to the edge of the screen when set to full screen but the movie is smaller in the middle with black boarder all the way around. It only has this issue with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray not regular DVDs. I have a multi boot system and I’m in XP at the moment and all works fine with the older 7.10 ATI driver and PowerDVD. I can also set the main Dell 27” at 1920x1200 while the clone screen out to the TV is at 1920x1080 with 24HRz. I can’t do this in Vista with the 7.12 ATI driver in addition to the boarder issue.

no it does not have an effect on pdvd. just the desktop of which pdvd can only max to it.

ok you may be getting the other problem i had and thats video memory.
HDDVD works different than DVD (try print screen you wont see anything).

Think of it as a page size but in video memory not disk, it uses that to pipe the screen output to and calls it to place over the desktop (bit like old games) anyway you need to look into the bios and there is a setting something like agp spectrum 64MB u need to change it to at least 128MB.

let me know how you get on.

You would not believe the amount of pain I have had to go through to get HDDVD working..............................

Oh, I believe it. I’ll have a look in the BIOS when I get home but I only have this issue in Vista with (I think) the latest ATI video driver. In XP it works like it’s supposed to, for the most part. Like, I can set the refresh to 24Hz but then there are little shutters every 30 seconds or so. :(

Ok, I tried the 128MB setting in the BIOS and it did not help. I wonder if that setting would have an effect on non AGP cards. ???:confused:

I also tried the latest version of PDVD at their request and it did not help. I think it’s the new ATI driver but I really want the latest one for games and it was a real bitch to get the last driver working with me dual displays.

my vidoe card is an on board ati1250 and it did work for me.
ok the next thing i noticed was your using two screens.
If i remember rightly it only works properly on main output.

Try unpluging the second monitor and telling your card you only have 1 monitor, had this with nvidia but its more to do with windows and PDVD.

fingers crossed.

No, I had tried that too. Great minds think alike and all. :) I’ve read a few release notes that say stuff about dual screens and DVD playback. Anyway… I just spent an hour butting the last ATI 7.11 driver back on and it works fine now. The driver used to be real easy to install but now I have to disable the cards a few times and reboot a bunch of times. It’s a real drag. I just hope they fix whatever it is in the 7.13 release. My setup: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030571591&postcount=67
:p

Theres always something to make watching High Def as hard as possible...

Im glade your working now, sounds like you had some of the old driver left.

Lets hope 2008 is the year it just works. Happy new year.

Datus

7.12 was the issue going back to the 7.11 version has it working now. :) Word with all the issues thing. I admit I’m trying to do a lot I’ve never done before with the HTPC and HD movies but good lord it a pain. I just got a USB IR receiver only to find it only works with its own little app which is crap. I did find a freeware app that makes it work but…

Thanks

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
im on 7.10 was about to install 7.12 as they say it fixes some issues with HDDVD and PDVD, i'll try it later and confirm its faulty.

What was the IR reciver for?
If your looking for a wireless keyboard/mouse combo just got one from ebuyer for £19.99 and its superb.

If you want a link let me know.

I have a pronto pro remote that I have two RF to IR blasters for. One in the living room and one in the computer room that now has all the TiVo’s and such. You can see the computer room in the link above. Once I fire up the PC I can use the pronto to control it trough the USB IR receiver. I do want to get a keyboard and mouse setup as well but just to play around with. The RF remote is way easier to have around no matter where I am on the property I can control the zones and entertainment equipment.

Thanks for you help.

Can’t get PowerDVD to fill 1080 screen.

I had the same problem with my PowerColor PCIE HD2600XT Card. It happened when I installed the latest Drivers.

The fix was to delete the new Drivers and go back to the Original Drivers that came with the Card.

I don't play any Games so there was no reason for me to update in the first place. So until ATI fix this problem I will avoid any further updates.

ATI Catalyst 7.12 Trouble Ticket Submitted

"im on 7.10 was about to install 7.12 as they say it fixes some issues with HDDVD and PDVD, i'll try it later and confirm its faulty."

I would stay away from Catalyst Driver 7.12 I just built an XP Media Center Edition 2005 with PowerDVD 7.3, a combo HD/BD drive, and Radeon X1950 Pro. It took me a while to realize how to solve the black border problem, but eventually I reduced the underscan from ATI default 8% to 0% and it fills the HDTV screen. However, Catalyst 7.12 causes PowerDVD to revert right back to that darn 8% underscan AFTER PowerDVD starts to play high-def titles!

I uninstalled all Catalyst 7.12 software, installed Catalyst 7.11, set the 0% underscan, and PowerDVD plays high-def fine now! No awful borders.

This thread has been very helpful to confirm my suspicions of a driver problem in 7.12 Thanks to all! I submitted a trouble ticket to ATI for this driver issue. Seems clear it was modifications mentioned in the 7.12 release notes to "correct" HD/BD problems that introduced these new ones!

Last edited:
You Got that Right!

Theres always something to make watching High Def as hard as possible...

Yes, you got that one right! Years of PC-building experience didn't stop my new HD setup from being the hardest config ever! For some real fun, try an Antec Veris Fusion Black case. Looks like home audio component, and LCD screen on the front is pretty cool!

smerrick

Back