Can't get anything to work

Discussion in 'GameJackal' started by JeffChandler, Jun 24, 2007.

1. JeffChandler

JeffChandler Member

Game Jackal Pro: 2.9.18.565
    Computer: Dell Inspiron E1705 (Core 2 Duo)

I've tried a lot of games including Deus Ex and I cannot get GJ to work correctly. I go through the profiling fine and it does its thing, but when I try the game w/o the CD, it always asks for the CD. I've run the older GJ under WinXp before and it has pretty much always worked flawlessly. But I can't get this one to work at all. Yes, I have read the Vista note and I already have UAC disabled and I'm running as administrator. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

3. ShadowDestroyer

ShadowDestroyer Well-Known Member

Game jackal just doesn't work well on Vista. I learned that the hard way.

I hope they do a lot of work to get it working. I suspect they will find something small that will fix almost all the vista issues.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  4. JeffChandler

JeffChandler Member

1. 2.9.18.565
    2. Vista 32
    3. None that I know of.
    4. Done.
    5. Can't scan--can't download "Protection ID." My firewall detects a virus in the download: "PossibleThreat!023857"
    One game is Deus Ex, which is in the GJ profile library, but the problem has been with every game that I've tried, including games that worked fine under the old GJ under XP.

6. All that I've tried, but let's start with Deus Ex.
    7. v1.112fm
    8. CD
    9. USA (Region 1)
    10. 2.00 GHz Core 2 Duo
    11. Dell DVD+-RW burner
    12. AVG Free (7.5.472) and the firewall is hardware and irrelevant to this issue. Old GJ works fine with both under XP.
    13. Always prompts for CD

5. evlncrn8

evlncrn8 Well-Known Member

if you download from the protection id site (pid.gamecopyworld.com) the virus warning should not happen, if it does, its definately a false positive, it was reported on the gcw forums and seems to be fixed - only happened for a minority of users, so try again

deus ex is quite old, so gamejackal shouldnt have any problems with it
    site reports -> Country Protection / CD-Checks
    protection could differ from country to country tho..

6. Loonie

Loonie Well-Known Member

If this is DeusEx 1 we're talking about and not DX:IW, you don't need to use Game Jackal for it at all, as it just has the most rudimentary CD check. Just open the DeusEx.ini file located in the DeusEx\System directory, and the line that says:

or something similar, change it to the install directory for DeusEx. For example:

is mine. This trick worked for Unreal1 as well.

7. JeffChandler

JeffChandler Member

*sigh* Well, I guess I'll have to pull out more games to test. I've also tried Serious Sam (the original) and it didn't work either, though it did work under XP.

8. JeffChandler

JeffChandler Member

Is the Protection ID loaded here somewhere? I'm just not able to get it at the official site.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm pretty certain that it won't get past the firewall, no matter what. :(

9. Webslinger

10. JeffChandler

JeffChandler Member

11. Webslinger

Tell your firewall to ignore the warning--or simply disable it during the download. It's a very small file.

Or better yet, use a firewall that works properly.

12. JeffChandler

JeffChandler Member

The firewall is hardware, commercial class, and high-quality (fortigate) and I can't turn it off so easily.

13. Webslinger

There must be a way to allow i.p. access to specific sites or get around warnings. If not then, I guess you're out of luck. Seems unfortunate to be using a product that restricts what you want to do.

14. evlncrn8

commercial class, and it presumably catches the data in a rar file, presumably then unrar's it and then determines it has a virus... i really really doubt it does that, considering it'll be working from packets, not the entire content, so it needs its database updated.. if it works from the entire content, then i pity you if someone sends you a rar file packed with all 00's and it unrars to 4gig+...

even on their site they dont exactly detail 'PossibleThreat!023857'... hope u didnt pay too much for that firewall...
    and 'possible' does mean possible, so it should ask for an action, not deny the file

15. JeffChandler

JeffChandler Member

It's very expensive, very strong, and, up until now, hasn't caused me any problems. It was also free since it was provided by my employer. I could probably go into the configuration and turn off the protection, but I'd rather not, because I'm not that experienced with it and not comfortable monkeying around with it. As for how it detects viruses, I don't know. Perhaps if the file name were changed or packed with a different file compression, it could get by. The same firewall is used at work and they've got it so restricted that I can't even go to gcw site at all because it's a "hacking" site and/or "unethical/illegal." :(

16. evlncrn8

wait for pid 6 then, or try re-downloading it, i'll msg' the author and see if theres any plans for a new build without this packer etc..

17. Webslinger

His firewall also doesn't appear to like the site the file is hosted on, based on what he wrote.

18. JeffChandler

JeffChandler Member

Only at work, because it's configured more restrictively. The one at home is only restricting the one file. It's possible that I might be able to get an older version of PID there that's not tripping antivirus alarms (haven't tried that yet).

19. Webslinger

I can't even find the file hosted elsewhere, but if your firewall is going to block the download based on false virus detections anyway, I doubt anything can be done. :(

20. JeffChandler

JeffChandler Member

Managed to get 5.2b. Will get back to you.