• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't backup Saw III unrated among some others

verity911

Hi, new to the forum, have read many faq's, rules and even some troubleshooting files... can't seem to diagnose/resolve this problem.

Current setup;
Windows XP Pro
AnyDVD ver. 6.4.0.4
XSoftware DVD X Copy Platinum
Sony DVD RW DRU-530A (DVD drive)
HP CD-Writer+ 8200a

Been using this system for 7+ years with minimal hardware changes.

I have had this experience with only a few other DVD's, but I am reporting this one to find a solution.

When I try to backup (Saw III unrated), about 3-4 minutes into reading the disc, it gives me an error of: dwwin.exe application error, breakpoint reached. (Pic # 1 in Saw III unrated edition error.zip attachment)

After reading some troubleshooting guides, I attempted to rip-video-dvd-to-disk and received a "CloneMap 2" error (Pic # 2 in Saw III unrated edition error.zip attachment) from AnyDVD Ripper, followed by the program "Aborted" notification (Pic # 3 in Saw III unrated edition error.zip attachment).

I verified that my Primary IDE channel, device 0, is set to DMA if available, current transfer mode is set to Ultra DMA mode 5, vs. the recommended mode 2. Not sure if that is a problem or how it can be changed? Device 1 is set to DMA if available, current transfer mode is set to Not Applicable.

Secondary IDE channel, device 0 is set to DMA if available, current transfer mode is set to PIO mode. Device 1 is set to DMA if available, current transfer mode is set to Ultra DMA Mode 2.

I also noticed that this disc, when using DVD X Copy Platinum, choosing which TitleSet's to backup in advanced, has an alloted 99 TitleSet's vs. the typical less than 10 TitleSet's for no problem backup discs. Is this some kind of anti-backup structure?

Anyway, I also included the recommended logfile in hopes that someone with tech experience can help out.

Sorry so long, just wanted to include as much info possible to resolve in fewest posts.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_F_Saw_3_Unrated.zip
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • Saw III unrated edition error.zip
    31.7 KB · Views: 5
After reading some troubleshooting guides, I attempted to rip-video-dvd-to-disk

That is what you should be doing with discs containing structural protection.

1. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Click the "default" button. Click "ok". Try using Anydvd ripper again..

2. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Navigate to "Video DVD"-->Settings-->Change the A.I. Scanner to "disabled". Try again using Anydvd ripper.

Last edited:
After doing step 2 from above, set the A.I. scanner back to default (Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Click the "default" button. Click "ok".)

Then please post the Clonedvd log:

click http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupCloneDVD2916.exe (free 21 day trial, if you don't own it)
Anydvd does need to be running in the background when using Clonedvd.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 and follow the steps but note the differences below that I would prefer you do instead:

a)Select "dvd+/-r DL" near the quality bar in Clonedvd. This avoids compression (so, the process will be faster)

b) Select "dvd files" as the output method--and rip to your hard drive. Clonedvd also rips slightly faster than Anydvd ripper.

sshot18bw1.png

(thanks to Zebadee for the screenshot)

You should be able to copy and paste the log text with your mouse.

Try

[ code ]
log text
[ /code ]

Don't put spaces in the square brackets.

State the full a)error message(s) you encountered (click "details")

Last edited:
Well, not sure if CloneDVD2 compresses the file in normal write, I don't have a DL burner, but you suggested I copy to hdd uncompressed. If this was just to see if there was an error, there wasn't. The only difference between my log and the screenshot below is under "Successfully removed layer break", I had a log of "Target size sufficient, transcoder disabled".

Looking at the screenshot you provided, it looks as though I should be able to write after processing, no?

I wasn't able to, and went back to beginning (restart) and chose to write existing data using the VIDEO_TS folder, selecting all titles as I want a complete backup. Under quality, I chose custom and set at 4700mb (didn't see one for DVD+R, what option for SL disc?), which gave a 56% quality, which is about what I am used to for this size DL to SL conversion. From there I chose my writer and inserted blank media (Verbatim DVD+R 16x) and received the following error.

missing title VOB file(s) named VTS_01_*.vob
Details: VobSet 7 1 0 13 27 0 0 TCE

I am now going to go back and try to do the same process with compression. If this is not correct and I have missed something in your direction, please point this out.

OK, I went back and did the same process with compression, although I am still a bit unsure about the quality feature and what I should select if not custom 4700mb for Single Layer backups. If this is correct, no reponse necessary.

I am happy about the CloneDVD2 software, presumably since it is still supported, unlike my current software. Thinking I will continue it for the 21 day trial and if no problems, purchase it for keeps.

I was a bit worried for a moment, you stated CloneDVD2 rips faster than AnyDVD ripper. When I updated my drive's firmware, it required me to unable DMA support and I forgot to switch it back before the first CloneDVD2 rip, which slowed it down dramatically prior to changing this setting back. Once I did, I went from a previous backup time of about 2+ hours to roughly 50 minutes using CloneDVD2. Sweet!

Thanks for your guidance. Slysoft to the rescue. :clap:

Well, not sure if CloneDVD2 compresses the file in normal write, I don't have a DL burner, but you suggested I copy to hdd uncompressed. If this was just to see if there was an error, there wasn't. The only difference between my log and the screenshot below is under "Successfully removed layer break", I had a log of "Target size sufficient, transcoder disabled".

Looking at the screenshot you provided, it looks as though I should be able to write after processing, no?

I wasn't able to, and went back to beginning (restart) and chose to write existing data using the VIDEO_TS folder, selecting all titles as I want a complete backup. Under quality, I chose custom and set at 4700mb (didn't see one for DVD+R, what option for SL disc?), which gave a 56% quality, which is about what I am used to for this size DL to SL conversion. From there I chose my writer and inserted blank media (Verbatim DVD+R 16x) and received the following error.

I am now going to go back and try to do the same process with compression. If this is not correct and I have missed something in your direction, please point this out.
In CloneDVD, disable Title 1. This should do the trick.

what option for SL disc

It's "dvd-5".

Thank you very much. That's exactly what James probably wanted to know.

James will be sure to come in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have discovered a bug that was introduced in the A.I. scanner. So thank you very much.

Last edited:
James will be sure to come in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have discovered a bug that was introduced in the A.I. scanner. So thank you very much.

Yes, will be fixed soon.

EDIT: But deselecting Title 1 in CloneDVD should work as a workaround, too.

Last edited:
all i thought you had to do is use anydvd ripper when you right click on the fox it works for me

all i thought you had to do is use anydvd ripper when you right click on the fox it works for me

Not with Saw III in region 1 with Anydvd 6..4.0.4, it doesn't

Anydvd 6.4.0.4 does not handle Saw III properly (a bug was introduced in the A.I. scanner)

Last edited:
It's "dvd-5".

Thank you for responding.

No problem. My pleasure to help out unknowingly! ;)

EDIT: But deselecting Title 1 in CloneDVD should work as a workaround, too.

Is this when ripping uncompressed and burning to SL disc? Or is this just the current workaround for the A.I. scanner bug on certain discs (Same problem I had with previous disc was a Lion's gate disc)?

I didn't have any problem at all using CloneDVD when compressing and burning all titles to an SL disc??

Is this when ripping uncompressed and burning to SL disc?

Unselecting title 1 applies to Saw 3 region 1 with Anydvd 6.4.0.4 and Clonedvd only.
You can't rip using Anydvd ripper (which is a full disc rip), and you will get errors doing a full disc backup in Clonedvd if you have title 1 selected.

(Same problem I had with previous disc was a Lion's gate disc)?

And what disc would that be?

I didn't have any problem at all using CloneDVD when compressing and burning all titles to an SL disc??

:confused: You said that you did.

"missing title VOB file(s) named VTS_01_*.vob
Details: VobSet 7 1 0 13 27 0 0 TCE"

Last edited:
Unselecting title 1 applies to Saw 3 region 1 with Anydvd 6.4.0.4 and Clonedvd only.
You can't rip using Anydvd ripper (which is a full disc rip), and you will get errors doing a full disc backup in Clonedvd if you have title 1 selected.

Ya, I got nowhere ripping with Anydvd.
Interesting on full disc backup in CloneDVD, because that is what eventually worked. More below.

And what disc would that be?
Actually I was wrong. After looking it up, it was from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment; The Secret things of God. I had a different type of problem also. After burning it, menu was ok (didn't check any special features, etc. only the movie), but when playing it, it only plays the first second of each chapter, skipping from chapter to chapter until the end. The reason I believed them to be the same was, my somewhat-successful backup of Saw III unrated, using the first programs described originally (AnyDVD/DVDXPlatinum), I only backed up the movie itself (title eight) and when played had the same problem as The Secret things of God, skipping from chapter 1 to end only playing the first second of each chapter.

:confused: You said that you did.

"missing title VOB file(s) named VTS_01_*.vob
Details: VobSet 7 1 0 13 27 0 0 TCE"

Below is what I previously wrote. Note the bold.

I had this problem when I did your first recommendation, which was to use CloneDVD, under quality choosing DVD+/-R DL, which I was to believe made ripping faster due to no compression. It backed up fine on my hdd using DVD files output method. But I could not burn it when going back and selecting Write Existing Data. That is when I received the VOB file error.

But when I used only the CloneDVD method and choosing custom quality 4700mb (which you now say can/should be DVD-5), it backed up no problem to blank media, even with Title 1 selected.

Am I making sense or more confusion?? It is very possible that I am confused. :confused:

Saw III was the bane of everyones existance when it first came out. Ironic that it would be the title to catch a new bug. That movies is/was cursed from the day the bastiches released it. :(

-W

Interesting on full disc backup in CloneDVD, because that is what eventually worked. More below.

The output from Anydvd ripper is the same as the output from a full disc rip from Clonedvd. You actually need to select "Clone Dvd" from the main menu of Clonedvd to do a full disc rip from Clonedvd. The other option (Copy dvd titles) does a main movie only backup without preserving the menus.

Actually I was wrong. After looking it up, it was from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment; The Secret things of God. I had a different type of problem also. After burning it, menu was ok (didn't check any special features, etc. only the movie), but when playing it, it only plays the first second of each chapter, skipping from chapter to chapter until the end. The reason I believed them to be the same was, my somewhat-successful backup of Saw III unrated, using the first programs described originally (AnyDVD/DVDXPlatinum), I only backed up the movie itself (title eight) and when played had the same problem as The Secret things of God, skipping from chapter 1 to end only playing the first second of each chapter.

You need to rip first using Anydvd ripper, and then import that disc into DVDxcopy.

It backed up fine on my hdd using DVD files output method. But I could not burn it when going back and selecting Write Existing Data. That is when I received the VOB file error.

Don't use "Write Exisiting Data". Use the original disc as the source. That will help to keep things consistent in testing.

But when I used only the CloneDVD method and choosing custom quality 4700mb (which you now say can/should be DVD-5), it backed up no problem to blank media, even with Title 1 selected.

Am I making sense or more confusion??

I am fairly confused, because if you received an error using Anydvd ripper, then it stands to reason that you would also receive an error using Clonedvd when ripping as well given that the output from Anydvd ripper should be exactly the same as a full disc, uncompressed rip from Clonedvd. But it's possible the bug is isolated to Anydvd ripper only (but I would find that pretty weird).

The advantage to ripping with Clonedvd is that it's faster than Anydvd ripper and provides more debug information (and you can also remove stuff you don't want before ripping with Clonedvd--but for testing purposes, I don't want anything removed).

Last edited:
The output from Anydvd ripper is the same as the output from a full disc rip from Clonedvd. You actually need to select "Clone Dvd" from the main menu of Clonedvd to do a full disc rip from Clonedvd. The other option (Copy dvd titles) does a main movie only backup without preserving the menus.
If I have the disc, doesn't make sense to use Anydvd ripper vs. CloneDVD full disc.

You need to rip first using Anydvd ripper, and then import that disc into DVDxcopy.
Unfortunately, DVDxcopy does not have an import feature that I can find. I have found that the software is useless except for disc to disc copies using a temp file.

Don't use "Write Exisiting Data". Use the original disc as the source. That will help to keep things consistent in testing.
Not sure how I would do that, when your instructions were to rip to hdd (using original disc) using the uncompressed quality feature. How else to I make a disc backup if ripped to my hdd. :confused:

I am fairly confused, because if you received an error using Anydvd ripper, then it stands to reason that you would also receive an error using Clonedvd when ripping as well given that the output from Anydvd ripper should be exactly the same as a full disc, uncompressed rip from Clonedvd. But it's possible the bug is isolated to Anydvd ripper only (but I would find that pretty weird).

The advantage to ripping with Clonedvd is that it's faster than Anydvd ripper and provides more debug information (and you can also remove stuff you don't want before ripping with Clonedvd--but for testing purposes, I don't want anything removed).
I didn't receive an error using Anydvd ripper. I received it using CloneDVD ripping files to hdd and then using "Write Existing Data" to my SL disc. My succession was using CloneDVD full disc backup with compression, but setting quality to custom 4700mb, same as DVD-5.

I'm sorry if I am making this more confusing than it needs to be. I was able to backup no problem and believe I understand the product functionality. My main confusion was that you requested me to back up using no compression, when I need compression due to fact that I have no DL burner, want full backups, and most discs contain more than 4.7g of data.

If I have the disc, doesn't make sense to use Anydvd ripper vs. CloneDVD full disc.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying.

Unfortunately, DVDxcopy does not have an import feature that I can find. I have found that the software is useless except for disc to disc copies using a temp file.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Dvdxcopy, but a program that doesn't allow me to use a folder from my hard drive as the source seems fairly limited with respect to functionality. I guess, then, I would suggest you not use it.

Not sure how I would do that, when your instructions were to rip to hdd (using original disc) using the uncompressed quality feature. How else to I make a disc backup if ripped to my hdd.

You would use the original disc as the source and ignore the rip that you created using Clonedvd, which I only made you do for testing purposes. You should click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 and follow the steps in the order they are listed if you wish to make a backup. I would not recommend doing that at this time with Saw III, since James found a bug in Anydvd 6.4.0.4 that affects Saw III. But in general, the instructions for producing a backup properly can be found by clicking that link.

I didn't receive an error using Anydvd ripper.

Yes, you did. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=100058&postcount=1

You received a Clonemap 2 error.

and

verity911 said:

Consequently, it makes little sense to me that Clonedvd would have ripped fine, since a full disc, uncompressed rip from Clonedvd should produce the exact output as Anydvd ripper. That is, I would have expected Clonedvd to give you an error message while ripping, since Anydvd ripper gave you an error message while ripping. I asked you to use Clonedvd so that you could help verify the problem and provide more troubleshooting information. That's the only reason I asked you to rip with Clonedvd.

My succession was using CloneDVD full disc backup with compression, but setting quality to custom 4700mb, same as DVD-5.

You preserved the main menus--and had all the titles selected? (this is what selecting "clone dvd" from the main menu in Clonedvd does).
What I'm asking is fairly important because otherwise you did not create a full disc rip using Clonedvd (and that might explain why you did not receive an error message while ripping with Clonedvd).

I'm sorry if I am making this more confusing than it needs to be. I was able to backup no problem and believe I understand the product functionality. My main confusion was that you requested me to back up using no compression, when I need compression due to fact that I have no DL burner, want full backups, and most discs contain more than 4.7g of data.

I didn't tell you to rip to your hard drive using Clonedvd so that you could then produce a backup. I told you to rip to your hard drive with Clonedvd for troubleshooting purposes only, because I was trying to provide more information for James.

Anyway, I believe this issue involving Saw III is fairly academic at this point. James appears to have found a bug that will be fixed in a future Anydvd update--and you appear to have a working backup.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying.
I guess I am saying that AnyDVD ripper and DVDclone do not have the same output. I stated that I received the CloneMap 2 error when ripping using AnyDVD ripper, but was able to backup using DVDclone no problem (full disc from original, not from AnyDVD ripper).

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Dvdxcopy, but a program that doesn't allow me to use a folder from my hard drive as the source seems fairly limited with respect to functionality. I guess, then, I would suggest you not use it.
OK, I mispoke again. There is a selection for folder use, but I rarely use since I copy straight from disc. I have never ripped to hdd prior to your request for testing.

You would use the original disc as the source and ignore the rip that you created using Clonedvd, which I only made you do for testing purposes. You should click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 and follow the steps in the order they are listed if you wish to make a backup. I would recommend doing that at this time with Saw III, since James found a bug in Anydvd 6.4.0.4 that affects Saw III. But in general, the instructions for producing a backup properly can be found by clicking that link.
I followed the instructions exactly, only major change was updating my firmware. Backup was good.

Yes, you did. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=100058&postcount=1

You received a Clonemap 2 error.
You are correct, my mistake. :bang:

Consequently, it makes little sense to me that Clonedvd would have ripped fine, since a full disc, uncompressed rip from Clonedvd should produce the exact output as Anydvd ripper. That is, I would have expected Clonedvd to give you an error message while ripping, since Anydvd ripper gave you an error message while ripping. I asked you to use Clonedvd so that you could help verify the problem and provide more troubleshooting information. That's the only reason I asked you to rip with Clonedvd.
That is what is confusing to me. Maybe the error came when I ripped to hdd, but I would swear that the error came when I tried to burn using CloneDVD "Write Existing Data", after the rip was successful. :confused::eek:

You preserved the main menus--and had all the titles selected? (this is what selecting "clone dvd" from the main menu in Clonedvd does).
What I'm asking is fairly important because otherwise you did not create a full disc rip using Clonedvd (and that might explain why you did not receive an error message while ripping with Clonedvd).
Yes, main menus preserved. All titles selected.

I didn't tell you to rip to your hard drive using Clonedvd so that you could then produce a backup. I told you to rip to your hard drive with Clonedvd for troubleshooting purposes only, because I was trying to provide more information for James.

Anyway, I believe this issue involving Saw III is fairly academic at this point. James appears to have found a bug that will be fixed in a future Anydvd update--and you appear to have a working backup.
I guess that was my mistake, but then would not have possibly produced the error. True, true... completely academic. My problem was solved and I do not mean to drag this on any longer than necessary. I have seen many other posts that need more attention.

I very much appreciate your time and consideration in this matter and thank you!! Feel free to close this post. :)

Look at the top of this section and download AnyDVD 6.4.0.5 beta this will correct the issue.

Back