• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't back up disk 2 of Penn & Teller's "Bullsh*t!"

Steve O

I cannot make a backup of the 2nd disk of Penn & Teller's Showtime TV series DVD's Bullsh*t! (their title, not my word!). This first disk copied with no problems, the second one gives me a "Data error (cyclic redundancy check) on file VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_4.VOB: read error" it won't go past sector 349160. I have cleaned the spotless disk anyway, with no improvement. I tried this earlier and waited for the current version of AnyDVD (6.1.6.5) to see if it addressed this problem. I am using CloneDVD2 2.9.0.9. Here is the info from the AnyDVD status screen:
Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.5)
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B E113 06/06/16
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1985216 sectors (3877 MBytes)
Total size: 3857771 sectors (7534 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: PENN_TELLER_DISC_2
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Any ideas???

Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

Thanks Webslinger, I am running Nero CD-DVD speed and it has found a string of bad and damaged sectors, even though the DVD played OK. I presume that these are "real" bad sectors and not the copy protection kind.......?
I bought the DVD set from an Amazon marketplace on-line store, but based on your experience, would it be better to write Showtime for a replacement DVD?
thanks for your help

Thanks Webslinger, I am running Nero CD-DVD speed and it has found a string of bad and damaged sectors, even though the DVD played OK. I presume that these are "real" bad sectors and not the copy protection kind.......?

Yes. There's no protection on that disc other than CSS. And with Anydvd running in the background, I never get those errors anyway, even with protected discs (but I haven't tested all protections). Basically there is so little protection on that disc that dvdshrink could handle it alone.

I bought the DVD set from an Amazon marketplace on-line store, but based on your experience, would it be better to write Showtime for a replacement DVD?
thanks for your help

I don't have any experience doing either, sorry. I would imagine Amazon Marketplace protects you in some manner.

Last edited:
I'll check both places. I also will run another DVD or two that has given me trouble in the past.
Thanks again for the quick and insightful help!

I have P&T's Bullsh*t Season 1 and it too has a problem just like yours. The only thing different is that its disc 1 that won't play or copy. Since it was a gift to me I don't have a receipt so no one will replace it. Oh well.

I plan to write or call Showtime and see if they will exchange the defective disk with a good one. If I succeed I'll come back to this thread and let everyone know, either way...

Email Amazon. I am sure there is some sort of protection which they offer which will allow you to return the DVD in return for a new copy under a certain amount of days. This will be your best, quicker way I would imagine.

did I read that the DVD plays OK? Then will someone (Amazon or Showtime) replace a disc because it "wouldn't allow a backup?

I assume you're just going to tell them it won't play at all...I just thought it was funny to return a disc because it won't copy :eek:

did I read that the DVD plays OK? Then will someone (Amazon or Showtime) replace a disc because it "wouldn't allow a backup?

I assume you're just going to tell them it won't play at all...I just thought it was funny to return a disc because it won't copy :eek:

I would just say the disc is defective, and return it.

Back