• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cannot copy Our Father's Plan DVD

aguilajd

I have a DVD series called "Our Father's Plan". It is a religious study program consisting of three DVDs. I wanted to rip them and then transfer the video to my tablet so I can watch it during my train commute to/from work. None of the DVDs will play, copy, or rip to disk using AnyDVD HD. All the DVDs play just fine in my regular DVD player attached to the TV, but not on my computer. Help.

I've included the Logfile created by AnyDVD HD 7.6.4.2 (beta). I hope you can help me out.

Thanks,
Jorge A

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.6.4.2_Info_D_FATHERS_PLAN1_SCN.ziplog
    130.1 KB · Views: 13
Will the original discs play on the PC if you exit AnyDVD (right click on the fox icon down by the clock and choose 'exit') If they don't then there's not much AnyDVD can do

Wrong section, that's a DVD. This is the blu-ray section. DVD problems are 1 floor up.

That said, region is set. Decryption is properly done, can't see any problematic filters, there's no visible read errors in the log. James will have to take a look. Try setting the "AI scanner" to always enabled, if that doesn't work change it back to the default setting. But as adbear says, if the originals won't play on the pc with anydvd disabled (fox tray icon grey/not running) it's not an anydvd problem. It would however be strange since you say they DO play on a standalone player

thread moved

I set up AnyDVD with the "AI scanner" to always enabled. I also made sure that "CSS Mastering Errors" was also checked. That seemed to help some. I tried to "Rip to Harddisk" and it was able to get about 7% through the processed. I then received a "PS 18" error in a small window which popped up. So there is 7% more progress than before.

To clarify, when I use WinDVD, it does seem to play fine. I can "play movie" and I can skip to different chapters just fine. I am attaching a new log file since it was able to rip 7% of the DVD this time.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.6.4.2_Info_D_FATHERS_PLAN1_SCN.ziplog
    129.7 KB · Views: 9
You also shouldn't enable "CSS mastering errors" unless you're specifically told to do so. You might want to read the tooltip.

Since that disc has absolutely ZERO protection try doing a simple file copy with windows explorer, if that doesn't work you've got a defective disc.

Okay, I tried several of the things recommended above. 1) I disabled the "CSS mastering errors" in AnyDVD. 2) I changed software and I was again able to successfully play the DVD using PowerDVD 12. I skipped chapters, went forward and backward, it worked just fine.

I have to correct you when you say there is no protection on the DVD - it does have protection on it. I have included the screen shots of the AnyDVD "status" screen to this post. That screen shot clearly shows the presence of a) structural copy protection, b) invalid cell pieces, c) UDF filesystem patched, d) potential bad sector protection. All of these are fairly common to many DVDs on the general market.

As suggested, I tried using a different ripping software. You recommended CloneDVD, so I downloaded it and tried ripping the DVD. I ran into the same problem as before at about 7% in to the ripping. CloneDVD states the DVD has (CSS) copy protection and gave a "PS 18 TCE" error. I have attached the screen shot of that error message and also the log from the rip which states the same thing, "copy protected material (CSS)".

I am not trying to burn the DVD, but I am simply trying to rip the video to my hard drive so I can then copy the video to my tablet. I don't have any intentions to burn the files to DVD but to simply play them back on my tablet.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• AnyDVD found copy protection.jpg
    AnyDVD found copy protection.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 15
  • CloneDVD2 PS 18 error message.jpg
    CloneDVD2 PS 18 error message.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 14
  • CloneDVD2 log error message.jpg
    CloneDVD2 log error message.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 13
More than likely I'm wrong but shouldn't you use CloneDVD Mobile

Actually, I've been able to copy the VOB files directly to my tablet for any number of movies/programs I have wanted to watch on my tablet. Never had a problem. But with entire movies, it has been a little cumbersome as the movie files are divided up into 1GB segments. I have to play segment by segment. But it's not a big deal to me. The timing works out just right for me on the train rides.

You do have a good point regarding CloneDVD Mobile. I'll have to check that out to see if makes for simplified movie watching on my tablet. Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually, I've been able to copy the VOB files directly to my tablet for any number of movies/programs I have wanted to watch on my tablet. Never had a problem. But with entire movies, it has been a little cumbersome as the movie files are divided up into 1GB segments. I have to play segment by segment. But it's not a big deal to me. The timing works out just right for me on the train rides.

You do have a good point regarding CloneDVD Mobile. I'll have to check that out to see if makes for simplified movie watching on my tablet. Thanks for the suggestion!
CloneDVD mobile would certainly help in general, it can even create one big .vob file if you want. But not with this movie. The PS18 error indicates, that a sector marked as CSS encrypted appeared. This is strange, as the disc has no CSS encryption (unless your drive firmware has a bug, but I somehow doubt that). I smell a copy protection, which marks an innocent unencrypted sector as encrypted to abort the copy process.
I'll think about a solution, which won't cause any regression problems.

CloneDVD mobile would certainly help in general, it can even create one big .vob file if you want. But not with this movie. The PS18 error indicates, that a sector marked as CSS encrypted appeared. This is strange, as the disc has no CSS encryption (unless your drive firmware has a bug, but I somehow doubt that). I smell a copy protection, which marks an innocent unencrypted sector as encrypted to abort the copy process.

James

I recently copied the 3 region 1 dvds of OUR FATHER'S PLAN without any problems

Attached are the logs for all 3 dvds

I copied them with CloneDVD2 2933

P. S. I also used CloneDVD Mobile 1.8.0.2 VOB File (passthrough) mode on all 3 dvds with no issues!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.6.4.2_Info_F_FATHERS_PLAN1_SCN.ziplog
    152.1 KB · Views: 3
  • AnyDVD_7.6.4.2_Info_F_FATHERS_PLAN2_SCN.ziplog
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_7.6.4.2_Info_F_OUR_FATHERS_PLAN_DVD.ziplog
    128.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
James

I recently copied the 3 region 1 dvds of OUR FATHER'S PLAN without any problems

Attached are the logs for all 3 dvds

I copied them with CloneDVD2 2933

P. S. I also used CloneDVD Mobile 1.8.0.2 VOB File (passthrough) mode on all 3 dvds with no issues!
Interesting, thank you. Your disc is slightly different from the one in the first post.

Interesting, thank you. Your disc is slightly different from the one in the first post.

Any possibility that I ripped the exact same release that aguilajd did with their MATSHITA DVD+-RW SW830 D.03 14051300
and the reason our logs differ is I used a MEMOREX MRX 800LU V1 5M61 2010/08/06 15:42 to rip my region 1 Our Father's Plan?

Last edited:
not really, a different drive can't physically change the content that's on the disc. It only reads the content that's already there.

I smell a copy protection, which marks an innocent unencrypted sector as encrypted to abort the copy process.
To my surpise, I have already added such a solution a while ago to AnyDVD. I must have forgotten... :whistle:
AnyDVD removes all CSS marks from unprotected vob files as they shouldn't be there anyway.
In other words: What you see, should never ever happen. If a sector is encrypted and AnyDVD doesn't know it (firmware problem?), you might see a "remuxing forced" warning in the CloneDVD log, but you should never see a PS18 (scrambled sector) error.
I tested this with a CSS disc, but faked a non encrypted disc. Everything worked like it should (no preview in CloneDVD, no PS18 error, thousands of remuxing forced)
Conclusion: I have no idea, what is going on. Sorry.

Hi aguilajd

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have exactly the same issue. I bought Our Father's Plan (3 discs) to play on my laptop but cant get ANY of the discs to play with VLC media player. I cant even see the disc contents using file explorer. I'm using Windows 10.

I also want to rip the files from the DVD to watch on other devices around my home through my home network. I tried ripping using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum and it just said that the DVD was damaged. This was the same for all 3 discs. However, I think there is more to it than a simple defective DVD.

Can you shed any more light please?

Thx

I have not been able to even play the disc with any software EXCEPT PowerDVD which does play the discs.

I just downloaded the latest version of AnyDVD to try to rip the disc and got an immediate error of Clone2.

Log attached

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.0.9.0_Info.ziplog
    15 KB · Views: 3
I have not been able to even play the disc with any software EXCEPT PowerDVD which does play the discs.

I just downloaded the latest version of AnyDVD to try to rip the disc and got an immediate error of Clone2.

Log attached
Since there is no protection on the disc, you don't need AnyDVD running. Just to see, EXIT AnyDVD and then try and copy the disc and see if it works.

Hi aguilajd

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have exactly the same issue. I bought Our Father's Plan (3 discs) to play on my laptop but cant get ANY of the discs to play with VLC media player. I cant even see the disc contents using file explorer. I'm using Windows 10.

I also want to rip the files from the DVD to watch on other devices around my home through my home network. I tried ripping using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum and it just said that the DVD was damaged. This was the same for all 3 discs. However, I think there is more to it than a simple defective DVD.

Can you shed any more light please?

Thx

Hi ThomasC,

I did resolve it in a round about way. Out of curiosity, I checked with my Net Flix dvd subscription. Those worked perfectly without issue. The curious part is that I do continue to have this repeated problem with other similar religious themed DVDs. Truly, I don't know if they have found a cleaver way to confuse AnyDVD from correctly decrypting. I personally find it a little too hard to believe that all the DVDs they manufacture all have errors.

Regards,
Aguilajd

it's not weird at all, you have to remember commercial discs are pressed, not burned in a pc drive. All it takes is 1 spec of dust on the press and you've got an entire batch of defective discs.

Back