• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can someone explain what this error means?

DewMtnGrl

Please help. . . I have tried to copy three movies and they have come up with the same error: File 1 G:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_2.VOB 23 TCSectorReader read error; data error: cyclic redundancy check. Do any of you computer genius' know what this means? I have cleaned the back of the discs with alcohol and that still didn't help. ANY IDEAS WELCOME. . . .

Please help. . . I have tried to copy three movies and they have come up with the same error: File 1 G:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_2.VOB 23 TCSectorReader read error; data error: cyclic redundancy check. Do any of you computer genius' know what this means? I have cleaned the back of the discs with alcohol and that still didn't help. ANY IDEAS WELCOME. . . .

This means there are read errors. Your disc may be flawed or physically damaged. Even if the disc looks perfectly fine it may have been flawed when it was manufactured.

Please do the following:

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"

Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

Last edited:
More info is better than a little

As I've said elsewhere, the AnyDVD log is a super tool but often leaves out diagnostic pointers in this particular area: READ errors.

Most of the time, the AnyDVD log will not show the details of the read error unless these are catastrophic.

For such an error like TCSectorReader one can almost take this at face value to mean a sector read error has occurred that likely will NOT affect playing the DVD, to mean PLAY does not equal READ.

When you send in the AnyDVD log zip file you should also make a scan with Nero Speed, a neat little tool that identifies bad sectors.

Download Nero cd-dvd speed.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5845&highlight=nero+speed

It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc".

Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine.

Alternatively, if this occurs often on new DVDs your optical drive could be slowly dying or needs a treatment with a laser cleaner disc.

In any event, READ errors are best diagnosed with as much input about the error as possible. ;)

Last edited:
As I've said elsewhere, the AnyDVD log is a super tool but ( :( ) often leaves out diagnostic pointers in this particular area : READ errors.

Most of the time, the AnyDVD log will not show the details of the read error unless these are catastrophic.

For such an error like TCSectorReader one can almost take this at face value to mean a sector read error has occurred that likely will NOT affect playing the DVD.

When you send in the log you should also make a scan with Nero Speed, a neat little tool that identifies bad sectors.

Download Nero cd-dvd speed.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5845&highlight=nero+speed

It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc".

Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine.

Alternatively, your optical drive could be slowly dying or needs a treatment with a laser cleaner disc.

In any event, READ errors are best diagnosed with as much input about the error as possible. ;)

Frank, quite the contrary. From the log you can conclude if the read error is because AnyDVD missed a copy protection, or because disc or drive are broken.
If AnyDVD missed a protection, other tools (NeroCD Speed, yuk, I hate to even mention it) will ... report a read error. Now what? What did the NeroCD Speed scan give you for additional information? Exactly: None.

If AnyDVD did not miss a copy protection, a read error is a read error - disc / drive broken, end of story. NeroCD Speed will report a read error, too.
In this case, what will the NeroCD Speed scan give you for additional information? Exactly: None. Disc / Drive are still broken.

EDIT:
I *strongly* recommend to use CloneDVD for ripping, *not* the AnyDVD ripper. CloneDVD has automatic retries, you can remove the disc to clean it, and you can copy & paste any read error messages. And it has a logging function, too.

EDIT2:
Read errors are best diagnosed using AnyDVD_Info and CloneDVD logs. Really.

Last edited:
Back