• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can CloneDVD be made to "skip" bad sectors?

k927

I am getting a data read error (cyclic redundancy check) with the following details:
File 1 Z:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_01.VOB 23 TCSectorReader

The source DVD has some minor scratches. I have cleaned the source DVD several times and the reader moves ahead a bit but eventually stops permanently.

Is there a way to have nudge CloneDVD along by having it "skip" the bad sectors. This would result in the loss of a few frames but at least the copy could complete.

I was hoping an extention (i.e. feature enhancement) of "Chapter cutting" would have worked. Instead just cutting full chapters, add the ability to make (multiple) cut(s) of any amount of the time line. In conjunction with this, have CloneDVD identify (time line wise) the parts that are not readable (this would allow one to determine the degree of cutting required is accepatable).

add the ability to make (multiple) cut(s) of any amount of the time line.

You can do this in Shrink and Nero Recode.

Those programs, however, will not retain full menus over split discs should you want to do so.

In conjunction with this, have CloneDVD identify (time line wise) the parts that are not readable (this would allow one to determine the degree of cutting required is accepatable).

If a program chokes on import due to a CRC error, I'm not sure that would be possible.

However, to have your suggestion heard, you might want to contact Slysoft:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/contact.html

Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread, but this issue seems to come up from time to time, and this thread is currently the top search result in Google.

One possible work around that I haven't seen mentioned is to use Alcohol 120%, as it is very good at cloning discs with errors. If you don't want to pay for 120%, you could try ImgBurn as a free alternative. It has the ability to skip bad sectors, but I can't confirm how reliable this is. The setting for skipping bad sectors is a bit buried in the settings, but it is there. Depending on how you want to use the copy, the result may or may not be a good dvd image. Fwiw, I would trust 120% to give me the most accurate copy of the source disc as possible. If you have lots of problem discs, may be worth the investment in order to recover damaged discs.

Good luck.
we have a product called clonecd for this purpose.

Clone CD

I rescinded my previous response as it was off topic. Clone CD can be used to make a 1:1 copy of DVDs, including skipping bad sectors. If you have many DVDs that are having problems reading, it may be worth the investment. Just realize that the image may still not work, depending on the intended use and the severity of the damage.

Hope this helps someone who, like me, tries to find the answer from Google :)

Back