• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Buy memory now!

Yeah. What are the specs gonna be on it then?

- G0 stepping intel quad core q6600 (going to overclock this for her)
- Vista Ultimate 64 bit
- Antec Truepower Quattro 850W Power Supply
- 4 gigs of ram (you basically saw the link to it)
- 2x500 (raid 0) Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS
- I forget what current sata hardrive she has with Windows XP pro (I'm just going to show her how to change to boot options in bios)
- Radeon 2900 HD XT 850mhz 1gig card (these are special orders as most 1 gig versions of these cards are 743 mhz; I was going to do crossfire on this, but due to directx 10.1 announcement, I'm not going to bother . . . I'll wait for the 10.1 cards from Nvidia and ATI)
- AuzenTech X-FI Prelude 7.1 Sound Card 32BIT PCI
- She already has a Plextor PX-760a; I think I'll add the SATA version of the Pioneer burner you have
- she has an old Coolermaster Wavemaster aluminum computer case that she likes (so I'll use it)

Last edited:
- G0 stepping intel quad core q6600 (going to overclock this for her)
- Vista Ultimate 64 bit
- Antec Truepower Quattro 850W Power Supply
- 4 gigs of ram (you basically saw the link to it)
- 2x500 (raid 0) Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS
- I forget what current sata hardrive she has with Windows XP pro (I'm just going to show her how to change to boot options in bios)
- Radeon 2900 HD XT 850mhz 1gig card (these are special orders as most 1 gig versions of these cards are 743 mhz; I was going to do crossfire on this, but due to directx 10.1 announcement, I'm not going to bother . . . I'll wait for the 10.1 cards from Nvidia and ATI)
- AuzenTech X-FI Prelude 7.1 Sound Card 32BIT PCI
- She already has a Plextor PX-760a; I think I'll add the SATA version of the Pioneer burner you have
- she has an old Coolermaster Wavemaster aluminum computer case that she likes (so I'll use it)
Wow, what is she gonna be doin' on it to need a quad core and 4GB of RAM? Not to mention 1TB, heh.

Wow, what is she gonna be doin' on it to need a quad core and 4GB of RAM? Not to mention 1TB, heh.

Gaming, of course :D

2x2 gigs is generally recommended for Vista 64 bit OS if you're going to game
I'm expecting potential slowups under XP with that config (and, of course, XP won't use it all properly)

Last edited:
That system must run over $2000. Someone has a lot of $$$$.

I don't remember total cost, but it's around $1500-$1600, iirc (including the m/b). I get special pricing.
She is paying for it--not me. She didn't want to go much over ~2K U.S. funds, and
I remember if I got two of those video cards (crossfire), I would have been pushing 2K.

Last edited:
I don't remember total cost, but it's over $1500. It's under $2000 though. I get special pricing.
She is paying for it--not me.
I'd say that's a good deal then. Hmm she's the one with the $$$$ then. I've never been a big PC gamer although I play a PC game here and there.

Yep, that's for sure . . .
I think for most people hardware comes down to how you use it. You can make Vista run great on just 1GB of RAM and a P4 if you know how to tweak it. Most people have a ton of background programs running and things like that.

I think for most people hardware comes down to how you use it. You can make Vista run great on just 1GB of RAM and a P4 if you know how to tweak it. Most people have a ton of background programs running and things like that.

For Vista 64 bit and directx 10 gaming, a lot of people are moving to 4 gigs (also in part due to how low ddr2 memory prices were). Vista 64 can use the whole 4 gigs and as a lot of newer games now almost require 2 gigs to run smoothly . . . well, under Vista 64, 4 gigs is better than 2 (and if you're a gamer, chances are you want that 4 gigs to run in dual channel)

This isn't the best gaming rig in the world that I'm building, but for her it will be good enough until directx 10.1 games are released.

Last edited:
For Vista 64 bit and directx 10 gaming, a lot of people are moving to 4 gigs (also in part due to how low ddr2 memory prices were). Vista 64 can use the whole 4 gigs and as a lot of newer games now almost require 2 gigs to run smoothly . . . well, under Vista 64, 4 gigs is better than 2 (and if you're a gamer, chances are you want that 4 gigs to run in dual channel)

This isn't the best gaming rig in the world that I'm building, but for her it will be good enough until directx 10.1 games are released.
She gonna disable Aero? I use Windows Classic theme on Vista and also use a few other performance tweaks.

I could run on it here with no prob since I have 2GB of RAM but computers are for getting things done, not to look great.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you in principle. If some extra nonsense is going to slow my system down, I won't use it.

Just because it's really cheap doesn't necessarily make it junk.

Very true. I have experimented with a LOT of RAM and much of the cheaper stuff is very good. Corsair and Patriot are very reliable, stable and good performers.

I just put my ECC server memory up on Ebay - hopeing to get a sale or a swap for non-ECC memory. It's item number 160149010295

-W

256MB was barely enough for XP. I install 1G (2X512 for HT) in all retail builds.

Back