• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Burning fails at 50%

presuhn

I seem to be having a weird problem burning some movies. I use AnyDVD / CloneDVD combo. Sometimes the burning process will halt, almost always at about 50% and tell me there was a write error.

This has happened with different movies and on two different drives. I'm just wondering if this is an issue with bad discs, or if theres an error in the ripping itself? Anyone else have these issues?

Thanks

1 a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"

2) State the full a)error message(s) you encountered (click "details"), b)tell us what program(s) you were using when you received the error message(s), and c) describe in detail what you were doing when you received the error message(s). What problem are you having exactly?

3) What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

4) At what speed are you burning your blank media?

1) Done

2) The error message I receive is from CloneDVD (lastest version):
Writing to video media was not successful:

media write error

A write error has occurred, probably caused by a bad media.

Please replace the media and try again.

Under the details is this code: WriteDVD 10 11 W2

Programs I have running are:

AnyDVD / CloneDVD
Pidgin IM client
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11
Microsoft Outlook
Mozilla Thunderbird

I was doing nothing but web browsing at the time of the error.

3)
a - Memorex
b - DVD +R DL
c -
d - 8X, 850 gb, 240 minutes
e - VR9S14-00292-11
f - not sure

4) I burn at 4x all the time. It's slower, but I've heard it's safer to burn at less than the maximum speed you can.

Here is a paste from the DVD info program I used:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-S04-066]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [S04]
Product Revision : [066]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]
[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_D_Across The Universe.zip
    146.5 KB · Views: 5
3)
a - Memorex
b - DVD +R DL
c -
d - 8X, 850 gb, 240 minutes
e - VR9S14-00292-11
f - not sure

4) I burn at 4x all the time. It's slower, but I've heard it's safer to burn at less than the maximum speed you can.

Here is a paste from the DVD info program I used:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-S04-066]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [S04]
Product Revision : [066]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]
[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

a) Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (8x and not Valueline), Verbatim,, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes". Stay far away from Memorex, Princo, Ritek, regular Maxell, Fuji, etc. that are not made in Japan.

Memorex is pretty terrible

b) Click this and read FULLY (because the same advice applies)

a) yes, it seems i'm using junk media. where can i get the good stuff? couldn't find anything on amazon / newegg.

also, i'm going to be buying an external dvd burner for use with my laptop. are there any recommended burners to get?

Thanks for your help!

a) yes, it seems i'm using junk media. where can i get the good stuff? couldn't find anything on amazon / newegg.

In the past I've bought Verbatim DVD+R and DVD+R DL from Amazon at times so I know they sell them. I'm sure NewEgg also has Verbatim. Taiyo Yuden are harder for me to find and the price is always higher. I can't find them anywhere locally.

Of course they will cost more than Ritek but the quality difference makes it worth the cost difference and when you break the math down it's not insane.

also, i'm going to be buying an external dvd burner for use with my laptop. are there any recommended burners to get?

I can't comment on laptop burners because I rarely if ever use a laptop but whatever you do make sure that you do not get a Matshita DVD drive.

That's why I'm buying an external drive. My laptop has a Matshita drive built-in. Although I've had the same problems with my work laptop drive, which is a NEC:mad:

If you're in the U.S., try supermediastore.com or meritline.com for Taiyo Yuden (do not use Valueline).

Both Amazon and Newegg sell Verbatim.

I'm not really into recommending burners. Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=767 and try visiting some of the links I posted for reviews.

Back