Burn speed?

Discussion in 'CloneDVD' started by scurbiedog, Aug 15, 2007.

1. scurbiedog

scurbiedog Member

My coputer is a 2001 and has only two 256 memory sticks so I know its slow. My sister stayed with us for a while and hers would back up a dvd in about 20minutes, mine takes about 52 minutes. I'm useing an external HP burner thats new. I've tried shutting down programs not needed to free up memory but the back ups I'm making are skipping and have the digital blocking problem.
    Could it be my burn speed? Its set to max. I'm useing Sony dvd-r discs 120min, 4.7GB.

2. mike1

mike1 New Member

Slow it down. Also try to upgrade your memory to at least a gig. I burn at 4x and have no probs, but my machine is four years newer than yours. Slower is better for recording quality.

3. shannon90210

shannon90210 Well-Known Member

Try at 8x or then even 4x
    Yes , Slowing the Burn speed will ease up on the 'demand'
    It may actually 'speed' things up

A slower Burn speed should also eliminate the 'skipping'

Are your sure that you're using a USB2 port and a USB2 connector ?
    USB 2.0, Hi Speed USB FAQ

:)

4. ivanX

ivanX Translator (ru)

It could be the external (USB, I assume?) burner that takes its time due to limit in data throughput (USB 1.1 or 2.0 on the burner and your PC). Also just because you max out the writing speed, it does not mean that the media supports it! :)

5. scurbiedog

scurbiedog Member

I'm useing 2.0 usb. I installed a 5 port hub into the computer earlier. Thanks I'll try to slow the speed and see if it helps. IVANX, what did you mean about meaddia support?

6. ivanX

ivanX Translator (ru)

I meant that it is no good maxing the burning speed out at x16 if the media only supports writing at x8 or x4. Might want to check what it says on the disc :agree:

7. scurbiedog

scurbiedog Member

Do you mean where it says "4.7gb" on the disc? Is that the correct speed information should be placed on the dvd?

8. scurbiedog

scurbiedog Member

Never mind ,I'm an idiot sometimes 4.7gb is how much the disc holds. What were you talking about look at the disc?

9. ivanX

ivanX Translator (ru)

The speed that it supports. Usually, it is given as a range of figures. For example, the media I use gives it "1-16x". Look for similar on yours :)