• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Burn h264 or h265 files on DVD's, compatible for pc, BluRay and mediaplayers

MisterJaw

I want to burn H264 or H265 MKV files on DVDs (DVD5, DVD9) instead of putting them on hard disk.
These must be compatible to play on a PC as well as on BluRay players who can play MKV.
The files must not converted to DVD format, but data and can be played from the DVD disc on a Bluray player, media player or PC without any problems. Which software is suitable for this and what are the right settings to play on any player who have the right codes for playing H264/ H265?

Imgburn will do what you want and burn them 'as is' as a data disc. However you'll likely have a player problem. You'll need to consult the player manual, but I'm pretty sure there is NOT a single player that supports that type of playback on a burned 'data disc'.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Why not? If I hang my W.D Harddisks with this H264/265 files on my mediaplayer-, Bluray player-, or PC's USB port it plays without any problems.
So if I play burned DVD's with H264/265 files with an extern DVDburner on this stand alone players it should make no difference because the players can handle this H264/265 codecs.
Only problem is that if I burned this files on DVD's you have to do with double layers (DVD9) and image options (data type, file system, UDF revision) while at Harddisks all this does not matter.
So it is important what the software settings are for burn DVD's to be really compatible for various players who can handle the H264/265 codecs

Last edited:
That's because your harddrive is treated as a big USB flash drive. Completely different scenario. It's up to the player manufacturer what type of disc they add support for. Just because the player can decode the FILETYPE, doesn't mean the player supports playing back that type of file on that particular media type (in your case an h264 mkv for example, on a DVD).

This isn't a matter of software, imgburn will burn anything you want, in the format you give it. At that point it's done its job, burn the file 'as is' without encoding (something it can't do anyway) to your optical disc. That doesn't mean the drive will play it. There's probably few to no dvd/bd players support playing mp4/mkv files directly when burned to a DVD. That's called a "data disc" and is not your average type of optical media, a movie playback device is designed for.

As i said, you'll need to consult your player manual what type of disc. In the end you'll also just have to try (which i why dvd-rw's were invented for, so you don't have coasters.)

Burn one, try one, if it doesn't play. Your player doesn't support mkv playback on a DVD. It's as simple as that.

Either way, neither Redfox nor Elby have a product that will burn such files to an optical disc.

The Oppo players will allow this on DVDs but they have to spin them pretty fast to allow the needed data rate. Only a UHD capable player is able to decode and play H.265 content. I don't know of any other disc players that allow DVD-ROM playback of media files, but I'm sure they must exist. Perhaps the other Mediatek based units will do. That said, the use of H.265 content will severely limit the search.

Imgburn will do what you want and burn them 'as is' as a data disc. However you'll likely have a player problem. You'll need to consult the player manual, but I'm pretty sure there is NOT a single player that supports that type of playback on a burned 'data disc'.
Not quite true.

There are DVD players that have been out since the late 90's that could play CD/MP3/CDRW/DVDRW via commercial or burned discs. Imgburn creates 'data discs' just fine for this purpose but must be H264.
The Digitec ALDV808 that I own plays data discs no problem. If there is photos on it it will display them as well & play any MP3 on disc too. It will play AVI/MPEG no prob but not MKV. It's 1990's era too.

The Zenith DVC2200C I have also plays like the Digitec as well but they offered in 2000 a free firmware upgrade due to many not able to play The Abyss or The Matrix movies. Added bonus was that it handled data discs much better but still only H264 format.

b7VBgkj.jpg D1nv0Ll.jpg 47IRJg9.jpg

Update for Mister Jaw

I did a lot of searching on my old audiophile hangouts after testing my DVD players that I listed above.
Good news :)

Even though it is now 2020, it is amazing to see only a handful to TV's that are capable of playing media files via USB ports. Lots of them are for maintenance use only for firmware upgrades.
DVD players & Blu ray players are in the same boat. You would think they would make 2020 equipment to play everything that is now available.

Remember that MKV (invented 2002) is just a container much like AVI/MP4. Blu ray players will only play them if the codecs you use inside the MKV are H264 or MPEG compliant.Same goes for some DVD players like mine. I tested a standalone Blu ray player with MKV using compliant structure & it played. When I converted the same MKV to a non-compliant structure (MPEGH) it failed to play.

You should have no issues creating data discs & playing them as long as you stick to H264 format & MPEG compliant. If you use HEVC/H265, they will not work.

Good Luck :)

What do you think about this on:
LG UBK90 handle Optical disks (Blu-ray, Blu-ray (Ultra HD), CD (Audio), CD-RW, DVD, DVD+/-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW) and
video formats (avi, h.264, h.265, mkv, Mpeg 1, Mpeg 2, Mpeg 4, wmv, xvid) and also have USB.
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1180357/lg-ubk90/specificaties/

https://www.iskysoft.com/dvd-solution/how-to-use-imgburn-to-burn-mkv-to-dvd.html
But I wonder which settings I have to use with ImgBurn for good compatible disks:
ImgBurn - options - Image options: Data type (Mode1/2048 or Mode2/Form1/2352 ?)
File System: (UDF, ISO 9660 + UDF, ISO 9660 + Joliet ?)
UDF Revision: (1.02 - 2.60 ?)

pretty much all current players can handle those formats (hell, they're in the (U)HD specification as standard video codec), but that's not the issue here. The issue is if they support MKV/MP4 files when burned "as is" on a cd/dvd (aka a data disc) and not all do. There's only 2 ways to be absolutely sure

1. check the player manual
2. try it.

As to burning with IMGBurn . It should offer you to autocorrect any incorrect settings, but you can always ask over at the imgburn forums :)

But i believe

Data: Mode 1
File system: UDF or ISO 9660 + UDF (joliet is very old and i believe aimed towards CD's)
UDF revision: for data discs, 1.02. 2.50 is for BD's and 2.60 is aimed at UHD BD (though i believe most use 2.50)

I think its reasonable to assume that any player which can play the same files from a USB drive can also play it from DVD-ROM. Caveat being that the player's firmware must also support spinning a DVD-ROM fast enough, ie: more than 1x speed. But if the player's documentation specifically states DVD-ROM support, it probably can.

Of course, it always remains a risk, even though it plays on a certain Bluray player that if that player dies, it is not compatible with other models.
That's why I back in the days, in the Video_TS era, loved programs like CloneDVD and CloneCD they played on anything.
With external USB Hard Disks you have fewer problems, just copy all your H264, 265 collections onto it and play it via USB on a media player / Bluray player or even directly on the most modern TVs.
However, if you have quality optical disks and a good laserburner they will last almost your lifetime if you store them well against scratches (my DVD collection is already 20 years old, and still playing) I don't see that happening with a Hard Disk where data slowly disappears over the years because it is not burned into it (magnetic)
That's why I still prefer these optical disks when I create a collection that I want to keep for a long time

Last edited:
Back