• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question BritBox question

Vindictor

Hi there,
I’m a long time user of AnyDVD HD, had a lifetime licence back in the SlySoft days, and bought a new licence under RedFox. Great software, still use it on occasion, THANKS! (I read it can do UHD disks these days? Maybe it’s time to try some of my collection!) :)

Now:
I’ve been thinking about AnyStream for a while. I wasn’t really sure if I’d actually use it, but now I’ve discovered that one of my childhood favourite TV shows appears to be on BritBox.

During the recent 100 year BBC Celebrations, they showed a single episode of Rentaghost.
I tried to find more on iPlayer, and failed. I own the Series 1 DVD set, however the rest have never been available for purchase, to my knowledge.

Then I found a link to BritBox. It would appear that the entire series is on there. I’d dearly love to have a “local copy” of this for nostalgic reasons. I’d MUCH rather be able to buy a DVD/bluray set, but failing that, I’m wondering if AnyStream will do the job. It’s quite a lot of money to shell out for one show, but I’m considering it. I’m not sure if I could get the lot down during the BritBox trial… I’ve never used BritBox, either.

Anyway, BritBox isn’t exactly one of the big streaming platforms, and is of course UK centric, so before going any further I wanted to check that BritBox works 100% with AnyStream, so I’d be able to download a local copy of this childhood favourite, and be able to watch it offline. I guess the stream would only be SD, so no UHD issues to get in the way. Actually it would be nice if it was streamed in HD with a higher bitrate, but in this case beggars can’t be choosers.

Assuming BritBox works well, should I consider running through a VPN? I guess there’s not much point if I’m signed up for an account, and have already provided them with a payment method.

Thanks for the feedback

TLDR; Does AnyStream work well with BritBox, right now?
EDIT: I should’ve asked. I do also have an Apple TV+ account. Any issues with that, or could I just grab a few shows from that too, for offline viewing?
I realise people have discussed these platforms, but I’ve also read of people having issues so just want to check that BritBox (and Apple TV) are stable / reliable before taking a chance.
Maybe I should just try the trial but…. AnyStream is on offer for only a short period longer ;) Of course, if it’s likely that AnyStream will be on offer again for Xmas, then I have more time to test the trial version

EDIT 2: Is it recommended to use AnyStream with BritBox through Prime? Or maybe BritBox has its own web player?
Thanks so much for the info.

Last edited:
(I read it can do UHD disks these days? Maybe it’s time to try some of my collection!)
It can, but you need a compatible drive for that, and not all discs are supported from scratch (might take time till they get added).
Please ask if you should have any questions.

so before going any further I wanted to check that BritBox works 100% with AnyStream
BritBox isn't supported by AS at all. You will have to use third party software for that.
As for the VPN, you might need one if they block you when trying to play a video. Try it in a browser. If you get the message that you are from another region, you will have to use a VPN. But not all might work with that provider, so use the trial first.

As for third party software, I use TubeDigger and now "ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader Pro" (whoever made this name lol). TubeDigger is some sort of a recorder, but not really. ChrisPC works more like AS and downloads the Playlist. But it depends on the protection if one of them can decrypt it. I can use Chris to download from two sites that even Fab can't, so it works in general. But it did not work for Amz in the quick test I made. Same goes for TubeDigger. Howeve, BritBox will most probably have another site layout and protection, so it is worth a shot.

I would be happy to try it, because since I most probably will never use it, I don't mind to use the trial. But I might have no time this week, so either another member can do it or you wait for next week to come.
If you want to try it, both programs should have a trial, but TubeDigger can only save like 5 minutes or whatever it was, Chris was something similar. But at least you can use that to see if it would work at all. Because why purchasing them when they can't even recognize the video.
If it is not protected, you might even be able to use things like yt-dlp or extensions like VideoDownloadHelper.

Since AS does not work, it might be moved to the third party forum.

To get BritBox you would subscribe to the channel via Amazon Prime. It is not the entire BritBox though and I could not find Rentaghost on the "channel".

AppleTV+ is not currently supported on AS.

Britbox is available from Amazon in the USA and it works great with AS, but I do believe you need a USA account some have used a proxy and changed the setting in AS to access it and it worked but there have but other results that were not successful.

OP did in his edit ....

EDIT: I should’ve asked. I do also have an Apple TV+ account. Any issues with that, or could I just grab a few shows from that too, for offline viewing?
AS does not support Apple TV at all, and its not available through Amazon in any country, so can you explain a bit more.

OP did in his edit ....

Ah, ok. The edit has been made after I opened the page, so I couln't see it. Now, after opening the updated site, I see it too.
Richard is right, AppleTV+ isn't supported as well. I have no idea if my suggested programs would work with that as I never used it. Maybe, but only if it is available as a webpage. Not if only through apps.

Thanks for the responses.
I’d seen BritBox mentioned here in the forums so had assumed there was support, even if only via Prime.
Interesting to note from Richard Sava above that Rentaghost does not appear to be on the Prime version, however.
I’ve just doubled checked, and it should be on the UK version
Never mind, if AnyStream is currently unable to download from BritBox, or, if it is via Prime but Rentaghost isn’t on there, then maybe it’ll be worth my while checking again in the months to come to see if support is added. I also see Captain Pugwash is listed on BritBox UK.
Memory lane.

Thanks for the help and responses. Maybe I’ll just sign up to the BritBox trial and see how it works, and watch a few episodes, and like I said, in the future try again with AS. Or if shows from BritBox can be downloaded via Prime in the UK then this would be answer.

OK, I’ve just loaded the Prime Video app on my smart TV ,searched for Rentaghost, and there it is, showing as available via a free trial of BritBox.

So, being that this is available via Prime video, does this mean AS should be able to get it?
What about Freevee content? This is also delivered via the Prime Video player, so does this mean AS can also get that?
Sorry for all the questions, but my thanks again for the responses.

AS does not support Apple TV at all, and its not available through Amazon in any country, so can you explain a bit more.

Explain what a bit more?
I answered OP in my original post, then DeepSpace asked who asked for AppleTV+ so I then answered him with the quote from the OP's EDIT.
Not sure what i need to explain further for as my original answer literally said "AppleTV+ is not currently supported by AS".

OK, I’ve just loaded the Prime Video app on my smart TV ,searched for Rentaghost, and there it is, showing as available via a free trial of BritBox.

So, being that this is available via the Prime app, does this mean AS should be able to get it?
What about Freevee content? This is also delivered via the Prime Video player, so does this mean AS can also get that?
Sorry for all the questions, but my thanks again for the responses.

Yes, I get stuff from BritBox via the Prime Channel all the time. I also get FreeVee stuff all the time, no commercials.

I’ve just doubled checked, and it should be on the UK version
You are right, it is available. Then you can download it, but if you are from another region you might need a VPN.
Code:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09PN5NZQH/
Since Amz itself is supported, you can download anything there, regardless if it is a channel or not. We are talking about BritBox itself, if it has a own website as well. This wouldn't be supported.

That’s fantastic.
Yes, I’m in the UK region already.
So, basically, not only Prime Video, but other channels available via Prime Video can be downloaded with AS.
When I searched for Rentaghost it only displayed 3 of the seasons, but even that would be better than nothing.
Also nice to know that Freevee content can be downloaded if required. There’s some decent stuff on there.

Thank you very much for everybody’s input.
Sorry I got the thread moved to third party products. I was really just interested in if AnyStream could get this stuff.
Seems it should be doable via Prime.

I guess signing up for the more expensive version of AS would be best, in the hope that maybe AppleTV+ may be added in the future.
IIRC AS works by, something like, emulating a web browser. IE, if the video is playable in a browser, then AS can get it. Perhaps Apple TV+ doesn’t have a web player. I’ve never checked, but that wouldn’t surprise me. It IS Apple, after all. I suspect their content is available via App only, and maybe iTunes on Windows.

So, basically, not only Prime Video, but other channels available via Prime Video can be downloaded with AS.
Exactly.

When I searched for Rentaghost it only displayed 3 of the seasons, but even that would be better than nothing.
In my link there are 1, 2 and 9 available. Of course I have no idea if this is true or if 9 is actually meant to be 3.

Also nice to know that Freevee content can be downloaded if required. There’s some decent stuff on there.
AS can remove the ads, but if there are any embedded into the video or trailers, logos and stuff, then it can't since it is part of the stream.

IIRC AS works by, something like, emulating a web browser.
At least for Amz, since it is basically the website. But for all the other providers, they use a custom made UI, so it might be some sort of API or something like that. But we can only speculate about things like this, because the devs will of course never tell to avoid it being blocked.

and maybe iTunes on Windows
I heard of software that is supposed to remove the protection from iTunes videos, but I never tried it. So I cannot tell if any of them work.

Back