• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Book Type changes

Clarity3

I have been trying to set the Book Type for DVD+R and DVD+R DL discs using Nero CD Speed and ImgBurn. Media for both types are by Verbatim

I have two drives, a Sony AW-G170A and a Lite-On LH 201A1P (Both are described as DL capable). When trying to set the Book Type for each of these drives I get inconclusive results.

Firstly let me apologies for a lengthy description of the issue but I think the details are necessary to illustrate my problem.

Part 1.
Putting a blank DVD+R in the Sony drive and running Nero CD Speed, the Book Type shown is ‘n/a’ and the ‘New Setting’ for DVD+R disabled.
Current Disc Type is DVD+R
Current Book Type is DVD+R
I am unable to change the settings (Interestingly, DVD +R DL settings are enabled).

When I run ImgBurn and select NEC (only drive type tab available that will recognise the Sony drive) when changing the Book Type to DVD-ROM it reports Failure.
If I select DVD + R DL media although the disc in the drive is a DVD + R, I can change the Book Type to DVD-ROM
However, the information window in ImgBurn continues to show the Book Type as DVD+R.

Putting a blank DVD+R DL in the Sony drive and running Nero CD Speed, the Book Type shown is ‘n/a’ and the ‘New Setting’ for DVD+R enabled.
The Book Type can be successfully changed
Current Disc Type is DVD+R DL
Current Book Type is DVD-ROM

When I run ImgBurn and select NEC (only drive type tab available that will recognise the Sony drive) when changing the Book Type to DVD-ROM it reports Success.
However, the information window in ImgBurn continues to show the Book Type as DVD+R DL.

Part 2.
Putting a blank DVD+R in the Lite-On drive and running Nero CD Speed, the Book Type shown is ‘DVD-ROM’ and the ‘New Setting’ for DVD+R enabled.
Despite changing the Book Type the
Current Disc Type is still DVD+R
Current Book Type is still DVD+R
With ‘New Setting’ disabled

When I run ImgBurn and select Lite-On from drive type tabs, when changing the Book Type to DVD-ROM it reports Success and shows the ‘Current Setting’ as DVD-ROM.
However, as with the Sony, the information window in ImgBurn continues to show the Book Type as DVD+R.

Putting a blank DVD+R DL in the Lite-On drive and running Nero CD Speed, the Book Type shown is ‘n/a’ and the ‘New Setting’ for DVD+R DL is disabled.
The Book Type cannot be changed.
Current Disc Type is DVD+R DL
Current Book Type is DVD+R DL

When I run ImgBurn and select Lite-On from drive type tabs, when changing the Book Type to DVD-ROM it reports Success and shows the ‘Current Setting’ as DVD-ROM.
However, the information window in ImgBurn continues to show the Book Type as DVD+R DL.

Please can you tell me why I am unable to change the Book Type for DVD+R in the Sony drive, why the differences between CD Speed and ImgBurn and whether the Book Type has been changed despite that shown in the information window.

Thank you Webslinger.

I have downlaoded the file from the link you provided, set the Book Type on my Lite-On drive, backed up a disc and can see it is categorised as a DVD-ROM.

Any suggestions regards my Sony drive and why I can only change the Book Type on DL discs?

Any suggestions regards my Sony drive and why I can only change the Book Type on DL discs?

It's a firmware limitation. That drive's official firmware doesn't support bitsetting for +R nor +RW. By the way, the Sony AW-G170A is a rebadged Optiarc AD-7170A.

Back