• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Bluray region codes

calcu007

Do the bluray discs compatibility are affected by NTSC and PAL standards like the dvd? I mean if I buy a region free bluray made in UK or any country with PAL standard, can I play that disc in my US bluray player?

Do the bluray discs compatibility are affected by NTSC and PAL standards like the dvd? I mean if I buy a region free bluray made in UK or any country with PAL standard, can I play that disc in my US bluray player?

Please check out this thread here.

This depends on the disc. TV shows are often encoded with 25 or 50 frames/s, and will not play on most US players / TVs.

Actually james, blu-ray discs here in the EU are 24p just the same like they are everywhere else. They play in 24p aswell if your tv set is configured to play them like that (like mine is), otherwise it's the TV that speeds it up to 25 frames. So while the bought UK disc should technically play just fine on the US player, it won't if it has a region code on it for region B alone :)

I disagree, TV shows, especially BBC ones tend to be 50i

well tv shows possibly y, the movies i have and play always output 24p cause i set my rig up like that (like it should be). But OP didn't say anything about tv shows. only about "discs" so that qualifies for both i guess. But to get back on topic, the main thing here that could prevent playback is the region on em.

Not really when the OP asked if the disc was region free would he still have a problem, which the answer is it depends on the footage on the disc, some European discs have SD PAL trailers or extras as well (although it's rare) so even though the main movie is at 24P you may still have an issue with the trailers and extras

Is this true.

Surely, say a Panasonic HD TV for example playing a BD Disk in the USA will play (as long as no region restrictions apply) any format , i.e. 50i, 60i, 24p media.
As it would if the TV was a Panny HD UK TV. The UK HD TV/BD Player will certainly play 50i, 60i, 24p media, I cant imagine that this is not the same for USA.

Before HD TV's then yes, there may have been some issues playing DVD's in 50i and 60i in PAL or NTSC land.

Last edited by a moderator:
I
As it would if the TV was a Panny HD UK TV. The UK HD TV/BD Player will certainly play 50i, 60i, 24p media, I cant imagine that this is not the same for USA.
Well, you better do. EU/AU/US players may be different, for whatever reason.

Actually james, blu-ray discs here in the EU are 24p just the same like they are everywhere else.
Just being anal: US discs are usually 23.976. EU discs are often 24p. E.g., Cloud Atlas is the most recent, popular example.

They play in 24p aswell if your tv set is configured to play them like that (like mine is), otherwise it's the TV that speeds it up to 25 frames.
A TV never speeds anything up to 25 frames.

So while the bought UK disc should technically play just fine on the US player, it won't if it has a region code on it for region B alone :)

If a disc has some 576i trailer before the main movie (next on Blu-ray, blah...) it won't play on non PAL capable US players. You might not even reach the main menu.

If a disc has some 576i trailer before the main movie (next on Blu-ray, blah...) it won't play on non PAL capable US players. You might not even reach the main menu.

Crazy or what.

That would explain why UK media is sometimes recorded at 60i, a lot of music HD interlaced stuff is done at 60i in UK, this is probably why.

The USA is very weird, obviously before HD TV I could understand it, but why on earth would say Sony or Pansonic make an HD TV or BD player that can play all standards in EU/PAL land, be made differently for the USA. It certaimly isnt cost, in fact is more costly to have 2 seperate items for one model. Even power 230/110 v doesent matter as they all use SM Power units.

Crazy world.

@james

Hi James, does the USA take no notice of the Blu Ray Player Specification:
(ive made the EU standards bold)

1920×1080 30i (29.97i) 16:9
1920×1080 25i 16:9
1920×1080 24p 16:9
1440×1080 30i (29.97i) 4:3
1440×1080 25i 4:3
1440×1080 24p 4:3
1280×720 60p (59.94p) 16:9
1280×720 50p 16:9
1280×720 24p 16:9
720×480 30i (29.97i) 4:3 or 16:9
720×576 25i 4:3 or 16:9

the bold parts are non US specifications but EU ones (PAL)

LOL I know, I made them Bold to make the point. They are ALL part of the spec.

That is the spec worldwide.

Have a look at the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

The Blu-ray specification is confidential and not available to the public, so Wikipedia cannot know, if the 50Hz formats are mandatory worldwide.
I doubt they are. (Same is true for DVDs, by the way. All AU/EU players *must* play US/JP discs. But not the other way around).

Back