Blu Ray Titles With Different Codecs

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by mick2006, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mick2006

mick2006 Well-Known Member

I have noticed that Blu Ray titles are now apparently coming out with different codecs for the same titles. For example, I have noticed that "Young Guns" has been encoded as MPEG2 and as AVC MPEG4. I prefer the MPEG2 format simply because I can stream these to my television with my Tvix 4100. Does anyone know why and what titles have been released with different sets of codecs?

2. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

They're experimenting with the different codecs to see what gives the best quality. The early MPEG2 transfers, such as The Fifth Element, sucked. They're re-releasing some of them using AVC codec to give better quality transfers.

3. colinhunt

colinhunt Well-Known Member

Fifth Element sucked because of a crap master, not because of MPEG-2. Some of the best-looking Blu-rays are encoded with MPEG-2. It's capable of excellent PQ, provided it's given enough bits to work with. BD25 and MPEG-2 is a baaaaad combination.

4. SamuriHL

Ok, I guess I really need to clarify what I said. I totally did NOT mean to make it sound like all MPEG-2 transfers are bad cause that is *DEFINITELY* not the case!! However, the EARLY bluray MPEG-2 transfers left....a lot to be desired. That's all I meant. That being said, I've found that VC-1 and AVC have been providing a VERY good HD experience. :)

5. SamuriHL

P.S. Yes, James, I've gone to the dark side and bought a PS3 for BluRay playback. I'm sorry, I know exactly what you're going to say about that purchase, but, I have kids and Disney. Any parent will understand that comment. :) Not to mention that I can now pick up a few (what few there are..he he he) Sony exclusive games. I'm a *HUGE* Tekken fan and I can't wait for Tekken 6....uh....when they, er, get around to actually releasing it. sigh. :)

6. mick2006

mick2006 Well-Known Member

Another Blu Ray Codec Change

"The Guardian" has also become available with MPEG4 AVC. These changes in codecs don't mean much to most of you, but for those of us with PC's that can't handle AVC and VC-1, MPEG2 is a blessing. And as I mentioned before, I like to be able to stream my backups to my Tvix 4100 media streamer-this is one more title I won't be able to do that with.

7. SamuriHL

You're going to see more and more titles using AVC and VC1 I'm afraid. They give much higher compression so theoretically they would give higher quality than MPEG2 at the same file sizes. (Note, I did not say at the same bitrate :)) It's not that MPEG2 can't handle BluRay and HD DVD titles...they can quite easily...however the compression algorithm is older than the other two and those are much more efficient. Converting AVC and VC1 to MPEG2 will not be realistic for quite some time. You'd need some serious machine power to handle that in anything even close to a realistic timeframe. Maybe once the developers of the conversion programs figure out how to take advantage of GPU programming it MIGHT be possible, but, we're a ways away from that happening I think. Basically I don't have much good news for you if you're a fan of MPEG2 on BluRay and HD DVD. The studios for the most part seem to be migrating away from it more and more.