• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-ray Subtitles

rshanti

I have a home theater which allows me to view 2.35 aspect movies in their original aspect ratio, without the black bars on the top and bottom. Frequently, I like to see the subtitles. Many of today's movies put the subtitles in the black bars at the bottom instead on putting them where I believe they should be, which is in the frame of the actual movie. Is there a way that anyone knows of to move the subtitles up into the movie frame with CloneBD (or any other software I could use)? I use Kodi and it's default player as my interface and rip all of my movies to lossless MKV files. Any help would be appreciated...

I have a home theater which allows me to view 2.35 aspect movies in their original aspect ratio, without the black bars on the top and bottom. Frequently, I like to see the subtitles. Many of today's movies put the subtitles in the black bars at the bottom instead of on putting them where I believe they should be, which is in the frame of the actual movie. Is there a way that anyone knows of to move the subtitles up into the movie frame with CloneBD (or any other software I could use)? I use Kodi and it's default player as my interface and rip all of my movies to lossless MKV files. Any help would be appreciated...

Maybe you take a look over at Kodi.
Hope settings are still the same.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266863

@rshanti

I have no idea if this will help you but if you want to look into it further...

AnyDVD has a "Subtitle Position" setting under "Video BluRay" --> "Subtitles".

What exactly it does I don't know, but it may be worth you're looking into...

T

That setting does exactly what the name says, and tooltip. It enables anydvd to on-the-fly move the subtitles up or down relative to a position.

That said,
I have a home theater which allows me to view 2.35 aspect movies in their original aspect ratio, without the black bars on the top and bottom. Frequently, I like to see the subtitles. Many of today's movies put the subtitles in the black bars at the bottom instead on putting them where I believe they should be, which is in the frame of the actual movie. Is there a way that anyone knows of to move the subtitles up into the movie frame with CloneBD (or any other software I could use)? I use Kodi and it's default player as my interface and rip all of my movies to lossless MKV files. Any help would be appreciated...

Actually many movies are shot in 18:9 unless i'm mistaking, or dont even include any black bars AT ALL in the actual video. There's probably many cases where the AR of the video doesn't match the AR of the TV, and it's the TV that's adding the balck bars in order to cover the whole screen. The above anydvd setting should do what you want it to do. You can then choose to crop the black bars, but if you do, i'm pretty sure the TV will just add them back due to mismatched AR.

Widescreen movies used to be 16:9 but these days most I see on Blu-Ray seem to be 1.85:1 or 2.35:1.

I think what @rshanti mainly wants to do is make sure his subtitles overlay the actual movie and are not in the black bar area since his setup does not show any black bars for the 2:35:1 ratio.

I figured the AnyDVD Subtitle Position option could re-align the subtitle but didn't research it to see relative to what (it was late last night)(lol).

I was also not sure if the AnyDVD changes would carry forward when he creates his .mkv's in CloneBD, though one would think so.

Or whether it's a set-it-and-forget-it setting or has to be re-visited for each movie (or maybe for each aspect ratio).

But anyway the good news rshanti is that per @Ch3vr0n this may be your solution.

T

Widescreen movies used to be 16:9 but these days most I see on Blu-Ray seem to be 1.85:1 or 2.35:1.

I think what @rshanti mainly wants to do is make sure his subtitles overlay the actual movie and are not in the black bar area since his setup does not show any black bars for the 2:35:1 ratio.

I figured the AnyDVD Subtitle Position option could re-align the subtitle but didn't research it to see relative to what (it was late last night)(lol).

I was also not sure if the AnyDVD changes would carry forward when he creates his .mkv's in CloneBD, though one would think so.

Or whether it's a set-it-and-forget-it setting or has to be re-visited for each movie (or maybe for each aspect ratio).

But anyway the good news rshanti is that per @Ch3vr0n this may be your solution.

T
Testiles, you're exactly correct in your assumption as to how I want/need the subtitles to work. I have a projector setup and use a anamorphic lens to go from 16x9 to 2.35. :)

Thanks for your input (both you and Ch3vron). The AnyDVD setting looks like it will do exactly what I want. I'll be trying it on one of my movies that has the subtitles in the black bars later tonight. The Hobbit series comes to mind. I'll be sure to post and let you know if/how it works.

R

Testiles, you're exactly correct in your assumption as to how I want/need the subtitles to work. I have a projector setup and use a anamorphic lens to go from 16x9 to 2.35. :)

Thanks for your input (both you and Ch3vron). The AnyDVD setting looks like it will do exactly what I want. I'll be trying it on one of my movies that has the subtitles in the black bars later tonight. The Hobbit series comes to mind. I'll be sure to post and let you know if/how it works.

R

I'm glad to hear this will (probably) work for you.

I think James will be pleased because he has mentioned AnyDVD Subtitle processing on several occasions and I got the feeling not many have had the opportunity to use it.

All I've personally done with it is change the opacity of my subtitles. And I can say that's working fine.

Yes, please do let us know your results -- and how you got them!

T

I'm glad to hear this will (probably) work for you.

I think James will be pleased because he has mentioned AnyDVD Subtitle processing on several occasions and I got the feeling not many have had the opportunity to use it.

All I've personally done with it is change the opacity of my subtitles. And I can say that's working fine.

Yes, please do let us know your results -- and how you got them!

T
It worked great!! I checked the box "Enable Blu-ray Subtitle Processing" which activated the "Subtitle Position" field. I then set the Subtitle Position field to "16:9 Subtitle -> 21:9 Display" and voila, it put the subtitles into the movie frame above the black bars. Now I can read the subtitles when I've zoomed the projector into anamorphic mode. :)

Thanks again for the suggestion and the help.

Cheers...

R

It worked great!! I checked the box "Enable Blu-ray Subtitle Processing" which activated the "Subtitle Position" field. I then set the Subtitle Position field to "16:9 Subtitle -> 21:9 Display" and voila, it put the subtitles into the movie frame above the black bars. Now I can read the subtitles when I've zoomed the projector into anamorphic mode. :)

Thanks again for the suggestion and the help.

Cheers...

R

... and the AnyDVD subtitle change carried through to the mkv file made by CloneBD.

Excellent!

Cool thing is there was already a setting to do what you wanted ("16:9 Subtitle -> 21:9 Display"), no need for customization.

Thanks for the update.

... And you're very welcome.

T

Back