Blu-ray ripping very slow

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by Avatar, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. Avatar

    Avatar Member

    Hi folks,

    I have a problem with AnyDVD-HD and my BluRay ROM (Pioneer BDC-202). I get about 4 MB/sec while ripping a movie which takes more than 3 (three!!!) hours on a BD-50. Does anyone have an idea whats wrong here?
     
  2. oldjoe

    oldjoe Well-Known Member

    Check for DMA Mode

    1. Right click on My Computer
    2. Select Properties
    3. Click on Hardware
    4. Click on Device Manager
    5. Double click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    6. Double click on Primary channel
    7. Click Advanced Settings and check it says DMA if available and is set to Ultra DMA, mode 5.
    8. Do the same for the secondary channel -- it should be Ultra DMA, mode 2.
     
  3. Avatar

    Avatar Member

    The BDC-202 is a SATA drive... :]
     
  4. oldjoe

    oldjoe Well-Known Member

    I've been looking around for some info about your BDC-202. It is rated as a medium range unit and it supposedly reads Blu-Ray discs at 5X..........that could contribute to the slow read times.

    I checked my BIOS on an Intel board for PIO/DMA settings for SATA:
    Boot into BIOS...Go to "Drive Configuration"...Select the SATA port that the BDC-202 is connected to(0-1-2-3-4..it should NOT be the lowest digit)....Hit the "Enter" key...Select "TYPE" and hit "Enter"...Select "Auto or User" and hit the "Enter" key....In "USER" you will find the settings for PIO/DMA for each SATA Port. When "Auto" is selected, it "should" automatically be DMA.
     
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  5. Avatar

    Avatar Member

    It's all fine and like i said it worked before... Just not sure with which version of AnyDVD.
     
  6. oldjoe

    oldjoe Well-Known Member

    Pause your Cursor over the AnyDVD Icaon in C:-My Computer-Program Files-AnyDVD...the version will show. Simpler yet..download and install the latest version.
     
  7. skypx

    skypx Well-Known Member

    I've experienced a similar problem in the past. The problem persisted no matter what program I used to rip BD. I'm not sure if this will fix your problem but it worked for me. I generally use Nero 8 to make ISO back-ups of BD and as you stated it took more than 3 hours to rip a BD until I went into the drive settings and disabled "BD defect management"

    [​IMG]