[Blu Ray] Rip with PS3/Linux, play with PC

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by Bommy, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Bommy

Bommy Member

Was going to buy a Blu Ray drive to rip discs to my HD and play them on my PC, but I learn that you can rip the files to the PS3 HD, with Linux installed, then dump it over the network to the PC.

Will these files then play with AnyDVD HD running? And will the ripped files differ in any way from what AnyDVD HD would have created?

I can't justify a PS3, but if it saves me £140 on a Blu Ray drive, maybe I can!

2. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

there is no difference if you rip the disc to iso from your ps3 and then mount the iso, or if you use an blu-ray drive on your pc. Though it is a lot easier to use an external hdd - rip the disc from your ps3 to the ext hdd, then plug the hdd into your pc.
    There is a slight learning curve to all this though - especially if you are not familiar with linux.

3. Bommy

Bommy Member

Great, thanks. So I'm essentially ripping it twice? Once to an ISO, then ripping that ISO on the PC. Is it not possible to rip straight to files, then transfer and play them? I'm guessing that AnyDVDHD removes the protection when ripping from the ISO, which is why that's a better method, but can it also not just allow you to play the directly-ripped files in PowerDVD?

4. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

AFAIK, anydvd needs an iso (or disc, which is essentially and iso). I have a ps3, and the method I described is what I do. But I'm not following your point - whether you rip from your ps3 to an iso or to files takes no more time or needs no extra steps, so even if anydvd could decode files instead of an iso, you wouldn't be saving yourself any time/steps. You still need anydvd to play it, since it is encoded.

I actually take the ps3 ripped iso, mount it on my pc, and then rip it to a harddrive on my pc. That way I'm done with anydvd - I can then play my movie without anydvd - I don't like playing a movie while it is decoding on the fly, might as well just decode it once and be done with it.

5. mofo69

mofo69 Member

be aware, that AnydvdHD does not officially support this way.
    If you have some new discs, you have to wait for a further update of anydvd, as (afaik) some certain code is not dumped with the iso created by ps3.

a blu-ray drive for your pc does save you a lot of work and guarantee an imidiate rip.

6. flicker

flicker Active Member

How do you go from the PS3 to an ext HDD?

PS3 is FAT32 and files can't be bigger than 4gb.

7. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

You have to rip it with a linux boot partition on your PS3 and I'm assuming that linux will support ntfs

8. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

You are using Linux to do this, not the ps3 OS.

And so far, I haven't been able to get ntfs support on my yellow dog install on the ps3, so I'm using the ext3 filesystem type instead of ntfs. I've been following the threads at ps3news.com, but no one else has gotten ntfs to work yet either.

9. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

They don't officially support this method, but it works on 100% of the titles I've tried - including all current releases.

10. flicker

flicker Active Member

Do the iso files play with Nero Showtime in HD? Showtime plays regular DVD iso no problem.

11. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Showtime doesn't support Blu-ray BDMV file structure only the BDAV structure if you get the plugin, so the Blu-ray iso's won't work

12. mofo69

mofo69 Member

does only work for me with old titles. BRs that have been released within the last days never worked for me, always had to wait for the next update.

I am happy with my new Pioneer Drive as it also does save a lot of time.

but if you already have a PS3 and just want to do this for one or another title instead for your media server, then it is ofcourse a method worth considering.

13. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

i always get titles within a day or two of their release - and sometimes I have to wait for the next anydvd update, but not usually (and the wait is never long anyway, since the updates are frequent)

mainly it is simply a nuisance, and takes longer to use the ps3 method - i'm just waiting for the new LG drive.

14. Bommy

Bommy Member

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Humpa - you answered my point. It seems that AnyDVDHD can either take the copy protection off the ISO as it rips it, and then it's permanently off and the files can be played without running AnyDVDHD, or you can rip it to files and play it, with AnyDVDHD removing the copy protection as the disc plays.

(I was never even considering whether AnyDVDHD could remove the copy protection from a disc ripped as files).

It would seem that the most stable option is the one that you use.

15. gus738

gus738 Well-Known Member

hi well i would like to know if its possible to rip my blu ray movies that i own to my ps3? reasons for that is because i want to store my bd away and the movies i own dont have digital copy even though if they did would that work for ps3 os? i would assume not because its not the same as the pc. and i dont want to use the pc because BD is big and i dont want to get involve with ext hd or bigger hd etc etc

so back to the question can i put my blu ray movie to ps3 and how?

16. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

it's not as easy as just copying over. You can't play the discs from the harddrive so you'd need to process them to extract just the movie. As far as I'm aware you still have the Fat32 files size limit (4GB) so you'd then need to split the film into 4gb chunks, and you wouldn't be able to keep the HD audio. I think you'd need to convert the audio to ac3. Also if they're VC-1 streams you'd need to make it into a compliant WMV file with WM audio.
    You say you don't want to use the PC or external HD's, then you'd only be able to store a few films internally on a PS3 unless you change the drive as Blu-ray's take up a lot of space

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  17. gus738

gus738 Well-Known Member

yes i know its fat32 but if you use linux isnt it ntfs now? so far that i know i have to convert it via the m2ts files or something like that ... any input guys?

where should i make a new thread?

18. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

I don't think the linux part has a player to be able to play back blu-ray properly. Last I heard it plays back jerky and doesn't have access to HD audio

19. zodiachsx

zodiachsx Active Member

If you have a recent firmware, you probably won't be able to play video very well. There was at some time a modified version of MPlayer that might have been able to do it (I didn't try it, so I can't be sure), because it exploited a bug in the Hypervisor to get direct access to the GPU, but Sony fixed that bug some time ago and now we're stuck again with only an emulated framebuffer. It is theoretically possible to still get decent speed when using the SPEs, but I don't think there's a player that uses it and in any case you'd need to set up the IBM Cell SDK to compile which is, from what I've read, a major pain.

EDIT:Sorry for the confusion, I was refering to Linux only

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  20. gus738

gus738 Well-Known Member

i have a f/w version of 2.35 or 2.36 its the mgs4 bundle 80gb ps3 i bought it a few day ago. i belive theirs a 2.42 update with a 2.43 MAYBE

but i still have the 2.35/ 2.36 also the hypervisor exploit is it for the other os in linux mode? or where does it let the gpu acess power of the ps3?