• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-ray rip speed drops when DVD rip is started (8.0.2.5, 8.0.3.0)

mbarnstijn

I use ImgBurn to rip Blu-ray and DVD ISO files from a set of five identical (and very new) Blu-ray drives on my Win7x64 Ultimate computer, said drives in an eSATA external port-multiplier box, and a port-multiplier compatible eSATA card and drivers. (Asmedia 106x SATA Controller.)

Mostly, it's Blu-rays. Sometimes a DVD sneaks in because it's the only version available, or because it's the cheap extras that come with a box set, as is the case today with the BFI edition of "Dissent & Disruption: Alan Clarke at the BBC (1969-1989)." 13 discs, 11 BD and two of them DVD.

So I'm merrily ripping Blu-rays at 14+ MegaBytes per second each, and I stick in a DVD. Well, gosh if the RIP rate on my DVD is healthy at 8.5 MB/s, but all my BD rips suddenly drop in speed to around 5 MB/s or slower.

I put the DVD rip on pause. All the BD rips jump up to their maximum rate which for a single BD being ripped is around 30 MB/s; with 4 simultaneous rips it drops to 14 MB/s. That's a limitation of speed, network drivers and file server efficiency.

I'm attaching three log files for the DVD and two BDs that were in the drives being ripped when I observed this activity. I put all three ImgBurn rips on pause during the logfile capture, since ImgBurn would otherwise detect the mounting and dismounting and the rips would be damaged or be terminated.

Many moons ago and back in the SlySoft days I was more likely to rip DVD and BD simultaneously, and I never noticed this kind of interaction -- and I was using the same version of ImgBurn. However, my Blu-ray drive stack was a different eSata box back then. Does anyone have any idea whether this issue is possibly related to AnyDVD HD, or my eSATA port multiplier box, or something else?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--michael

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.0.3.0_Info_M_SCUM.ziplog
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.0.3.0_Info_N_PENDAS_FEN.ziplog
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_8.0.3.0_Info_K_BAAL.ziplog
    689.8 KB · Views: 0
Asmedia only support data drives fully aka hdd's. There's a reason motherboards tell you to only connect hdd's to those ports. The more simultaneous rips you start obviously the ripping will slow down. The hard drive and CPU constantly have to switch between every optical drive. You're creating a massive bottleneck and speed drops because of that.

I can do 5 simultaneous BD rips at 14 MB/s each: that's 70 MB/s (700 Mbps) total going to a networked file server on a 1 Gbps LAN connection. I'd say that the only bottleneck is the network and network overhead.;)

My question is WHY does adding a DVD rip into the process cause everything to slow down, and stopping the DVD rip cause all the remaining BD rips to speed up. That doesn't seem to be the network nor my data connection to the drives causing trouble. And I never had this problem with mixed DVD/BD rips when using Slysoft AnyDVD HD.

The eSATA board is Sonnet Tempo SATA Pro 6Gb PCIe 2.0, supporting Win7, port multipliers, optical drives and HDDs, or so the manufacturer said. Perhaps they mis-spoke.:)

Cheers,

--michael

The network speed at this point is irrelevant. The CPU constantly has to swap between drives creating a slow down. You don't have 70mb, you have 5x 14mb. And that's even before the data gets sent over the network. Then you're also forgetting the fact that the base pcie port where you connected the multiplier to only has a certain amount of hsio bandwith. Every sata port on that doubler has to use that same channel bandwith. You're overloading the channel with more data than it can handle. This is not an anydvd problem as anydvd obviously sees every drive. You've got a hardware bottleneck.

Moving to hardware section.

Last edited:
@mbarnstijn you do know that you can rip ISO's of your Blu-ray disc's with AnyDVDHD's image ripper and keep the disc protection (BD/HDDvD only) as well. It's just not recommended to use it for DVD ISO Rip's but you can use CloneDVD2 for that and get rid of any unwanted content while you are at it. Or use the imgburn you already have for the DVD'S. I just wanted to make sure you knew that you could cut out a step and have one less thing to consider when troubleshooting problems when they arise.

Ch3vron, you stated that I don't have 70 megabytes/sec, I have 5 x 14 megabytes/sec, and I completely agree. That aggregate of 70 megabytes/sec is pretty accurate for my simultaneous BD rips of anywhere from 2 to 5 discs at a time. When I do only one BD rip it tops out at 35 megabytes/sec. I think, but can't confirm right now, that this is the limit of the optical drive itself (about 8x rip speed).

I'm not sure you noted that I get the problematic BD rip slowdown ONLY when I add a DVD rip to the mix. Makes no difference whether I've got just one BD rip running or four, if I add a DVD rip the aggregate BD rip rate drops dramatically. The aggregate data rate drops from 70 megabytes/sec to less than 8 megabytes/sec for BD and DVD combined.

This drop in the aggregate data rate does NOT happen when ripping multiple BD simultaneously. It ONLY happens when adding a DVD into the mix.

As I also said at the beginning of this thread, I used a different eSATA port-multiplier box in the past with older versions of AnyDVD HD and got consistent aggregate rip speeds across all simultaneous ImgBurn rips regardless of whether there was a DVD in the mix or not. So something has changed, and it's not the eSATA card nor the network connection, and the computer I'm using now is FASTER and not just more cores but also more CPUs (two 16-core Opteron CPUs).

We agree that the PCIe card and the port multiplier have a limited bandwidth. The specs on the board are 6 gigabits/second, and even with 75 percent of that bandwidth used up in switching between devices and packetizing that yields 1.5 gigabits/second, or about 150 megabytes/second. Split five ways that's about 30 megabytes per second, which would seem to be perfectly adequate to me.

Please do let me know what I'm missing in considering this peculiar DVD-only rip slowdown.

--michael

I guess what I'm asking, if you boil it down, is if anyone has tried a BD and DVD rip simultaneously with the recent AnyDVD HD versions? Start the BD rip first, and does the BD rip slow down much more than you would expect when you start up the DVD rip?

--michael

I guess what I'm asking, if you boil it down, is if anyone has tried a BD and DVD rip simultaneously with the recent AnyDVD HD versions? Start the BD rip first, and does the BD rip slow down much more than you would expect when you start up the DVD rip?

--michael
I've never done two at one time so I can't answer that for you but I'm sure there are some who have that can say yea or nay. However the changeover to RedFox is and should be completely irrelevant it is the exact same AnyDVDHD besides fixes and added features that you had before from Slysoft. The same dev's doing it the same way as before. So that is not the issue.

...and I've answered my own question by running the BD rip on my eSATA stack of drives (driven by a PCIe eSATA card), and the DVD rip from the same computer's built-in DVD-rom drive -- a SATA drive directly attached to the MB, obviously a completely different SATA chipset from the one driving the eSATA stack of drives. The DVD rip did not affect the BD aggregate throughput at all.

So, if I had to guess, something's mangled in the eSATA port multiplier driver when it comes to handling BD-rom and DVD-rom reading simultaneously, something that is NOT mangled when reading multiple BD-rom discs at the same time through the same port multiplier. Hmmm. I haven't tried ripping a whole bunch of DVDs simultaneously. I should do that some time, just to see if it performs well or abysmally.

I'll just rip DVD separately from BD, not that I have much conflict these days anyway. I will also dig around and see if there's a firmware update for the Sonnett eSATA PCIe card, or even a firmware update for the eSATA drive stack box. There wasn't, for each of those things, back at the beginning of May 2016, but that could have changed.

--michael

Back