• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-ray Player Still available in 2015

dellsam34

Hi all I'm looking for a home blu-ray player that can play BD-ROM's as well as any burned BD-R without detecting cinavia, I know those models are hard to find and most of them are not BD-R friendly.
I was initially planning to move to BD-ISO's and NAS but found out that you can only use half of the capacity of the NAS, so I gave up that plan, Than was thinking about getting an android box and use an external BD drive, I soon come to find that android doesn't support UDF system, So I gave that up too, Now I'm stuck with my PS3 that doesn't play any BD-R even the ones recorded from my camcorder and authored as BDMV.
What I'm doing now to play my BD-R's is use my laptop with a 10ft HDMI cable hooked up to my home projector, I just want something on the shelf that I can control with a remote control.

Last edited:
Unless a store has some really old stock, you won't find a Cinavia free player. Best bet is to pick up an old player used.

A couple of comments:
Unless you choose to use redundancy (RAID) a NAS can be used with hard drives setup as JBOD, which will give the NAS it's full capacity.
You can't use an external BD drive on an Android box, but you can install a player like Kodi.
Kodi can playback BD ISO images from either a connected USB drive or from a network location (example a NAS)

Unless a store has some really old stock, you won't find a Cinavia free player. Best bet is to pick up an old player used.

A couple of comments:
Unless you choose to use redundancy (RAID) a NAS can be used with hard drives setup as JBOD, which will give the NAS it's full capacity.
You can't use an external BD drive on an Android box, but you can install a player like Kodi.
Kodi can playback BD ISO images from either a connected USB drive or from a network location (example a NAS)
Yes but KODI cannot play from an optical drive unless it was already detected by the operating system, in this case android, android is not designed to work with optical drives at least for now.

Sure, but you don't need an optical drive if using BD ISO images ;)

If you want to use physical discs and need 'full disc' playback with menus, just get an old standalone, much more reliable for menu playback.
These Android boxes don't handle all menus properly and are buggy (even the ones that promise BD menu support and use their own player app).

I do have tons of movies, NAS is not an option for me even when space used fully, the optical drive is cheaper for my case, I get them now for less than $2 per 50GB and they keep dropping, I may consider NAS in the future if the GB of hard drive drops even more and the price of the NAS boxes becomes affordable.

After doing little research I found that Pioneer BDP-450 can be modified to be cinavia and region free, it has to have however a specific FW version to take the custom FW update, the other thing is finding a player to buy it.

I could not find BDP-450 so I will be getting BDP-150 just the one I want, I don't need the extra features that 450 has anyways, According to the manual it plays BD-R DL media, So I will load the CFW as soon as it gets here, According to the source I got the files from it will disable both ceenaaaviaa and region coding for BD/DVD media.

Ok I received the BDP-150 today and it came with V01.02 firmware, I see now that Pioneer has v1.08 on their website, so if I ever upgrade to it will I be able to downgrade later on, I just want to check it out before I load the custom firmware, not that I have any issue at all with v01.02, so far it played everything I thru at it, except for region B blu-ray discs, although id did play one original region B disc TAXI 4 maybe they just labeled it B on the case but they didn't actually code it.

Yes, you can still install CFW if you have v1.08. No need to upgrade to v1.08 though, just go straight to the CFW :)

Yes, you can still install CFW if you have v1.08. No need to upgrade to v1.08 though, just go straight to the CFW :)
I know I don't have to go to the latest to load the CFW, I was just worried to get locked on it, I did however load the CFW and didn't check the latest version, I need region free feature so I'm on the CFW now, wonder what the paid CFW offer over the free one?

The newer firmware is mainly improvements to thing like NFS/SMB playback.
For just Region/Cinavia free it is no different (except changing Region menu is a different remote code)

The newer firmware is mainly improvements to thing like NFS/SMB playback.
For just Region/Cinavia free it is no different (except changing Region menu is a different remote code)
I will then keep the current CFW, The player plays almost everything I put in it, except for one BD-R that has given me an incompatibility error, it is a VC-1 file with WMA audio track which I have the original BD-ROM anyways, I haven't tried BD-ISO's and other types of files from an attached hard drive as I don't have any files, I rent blu-rays and occasionally bring some with me from Europe when I go there.

Back