• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-ray m2ts to MP4 AVC conversion.

ErikS22

Hey need some thoughts from some of you on converting blu-ray
m2ts files to another file format. I am leaning towards MP4 AVC (H.264) it seems the compression can be better and quality can be maintained in doing so. My plan is convert my blu-ray movies to this format using app called Super and play them off a HTPC hook to hdtv via hdmi. I also wonder what video bitrate to use for blu-ray. The movie I am working with is Dragonball Z The Legendary Super Saiyan / Broly, Second Coming (Blu-ray). the video bitrate it uses is around 18mbps. My goal to maintain the same blu-ray quality, but save space hard drive by converting to MP4 AVC. Please correct me if I have my assumptions wrong. Input is appreciated.

You are aware that M2TS is just the wrapper and that some Blu-rays are already in H264

Blu-ray m2ts to MP4 AVC conversion

So are sayin that no conversion needs to be done? Can I simple change the file extension to Mp4? Is there any issues when doing that?

I don't really see the point in converting them as you're just going to lose quality, especially on a low end encoding prgram

Blu-ray m2ts to MP4 AVC conversion

Ok what would you recommend I should do? Should I leave them in the format they are and just use something like Nero Showtime with blu-ray plug-in to play them or is better format to use?

Look, if you're just trying to play them on an HTPC connected to a screen, why not just create ISOs of your movies, mount them with Virtual CloneDrive, and play them with PowerDVD? People make things WAY more complicated than they need to.

If I mount each iso before playing then I just as well keep them on the physical media. I believe your solution makes things more complicated then they have to be.

Hmmmmm, so making an ISO from the disc, mounting it then playing is more complicated than ripping to HDD, stripping out extra streams then converting to H264 :disagree:

Alrighty then. Well, good luck.

Perfect response. That made me lol, after chocking on the sarcasm.

Look, Samuri is correct in both regards. People are making things way to involved for simple playback. How ripping to the hard drive as an ISO and double clicking on said ISO to play back in PowerDVD is more complicated than

Ripping to hard drive as folders.
Looking for multiple programs that will
1) Correctly decode streams
2) Convert to format of choice
3) Convert audio or find program to convert audio
4) Spend time doing the research to find what works with what and then debugging for your specific situation.
5) Starting at square 1 when the first try doesn't work.

Yeah, i guess i can see how that's more simple than rip, double click, and play:bang:

Hmmmmm, so making an ISO from the disc, mounting it then playing is more complicated than ripping to HDD, stripping out extra streams then converting to H264 :disagree:

That was my thought, too, but, I wasn't going to argue. If that's what he wants to do that's fine with me, but, it seems like an aweful lot of work for something that's not going to work well anyway. What container is it going to end up in? H264 is a codec, not a container. Depending on the container you have playback issues all in and of itself. MP4? Sure, but then you're limited on audio. Seems like a lot of trouble to me. Meanwhile, I'll happily click on my ISO file which automounts it with VCD and load PowerDVD. I'm pretty sure my method is faster. :)

That was my thought, too, but, I wasn't going to argue. If that's what he wants to do that's fine with me, but, it seems like an aweful lot of work for something that's not going to work well anyway. What container is it going to end up in? H264 is a codec, not a container. Depending on the container you have playback issues all in and of itself. MP4? Sure, but then you're limited on audio. Seems like a lot of trouble to me. Meanwhile, I'll happily click on my ISO file which automounts it with VCD and load PowerDVD. I'm pretty sure my method is faster. :)

Unless of course the disc has lots of forced trailers that you have to skip everytime. :doh:

If you are looking to make a movie-only file, then I suggest you look into Eac3to, as it has handled lots of movies for me with ease, even seamless branching ones. You should also consider Matroska (MKV) as your destination container, as it is more efficient than M2TS, and can handle a wide variety of audio and video formats, as well as sub titles (may need conversion though) and chapters. This will certainly take more time that just a simple rip like Samuri suggests, but in the end you'll have one file that you can open and play the movie instantly. Ultimately, the choice is yours.

Unless of course the disc has lots of forced trailers that you have to skip everytime. :doh:

If you are looking to make a movie-only file, then I suggest you look into Eac3to, as it has handled lots of movies for me with ease, even seamless branching ones. You should also consider Matroska (MKV) as your destination container, as it is more efficient than M2TS, and can handle a wide variety of audio and video formats, as well as sub titles (may need conversion though) and chapters. This will certainly take more time that just a simple rip like Samuri suggests, but in the end you'll have one file that you can open and play the movie instantly. Ultimately, the choice is yours.

In which case I'd make a movie only ISO which is still faster and far easier to play than your MKV. What are you using to playback the MKV's? That's my biggest issue with it...if I put a DTS-HD MA track in an MKV, what's going to play it back for me? If I use TSMuxer directly on the disc to rip a movie only copy with selected audio and presentation graphics, not only is it smaller (than the original...wasn't meaning smaller than the MKV which should be identical in size), it still can be mounted and played back in full quality using PowerDVD. I would love to have something that plays MKV at full quality with the presentation graphics still in tact. If I'm mistaken, and that's actually possible, I'd love to know about it. MKV is certainly not a bad choice assuming you can easily play it in full quality.

the only reason i could see putting the file in a different container/reencoding is to make the resulting movie able to be streamed to something like a ps3, xbox 360, or some other type of media extender such as popcorn hour or something.

While i could understand it however, i think right now the tools to do so are so immature right now. Not to mention that there are a ton of tools to enable DVDs to be streamed at just about 1 for 1 quality with the original and done in a fraction of the time it takes to enable a blu ray to be streamed. Granted, my opinion of all this is from what i've read here and in other forums. Maybe there is a killer app out there that does all that and more that i don't know about.

My personal opinion is that the best way to stream videos at full quality is to make an iso and file share it over a network with a client pc or burn it to a writeable to play in a ps3/standalone.

The future always manages to surprise you though. I look forward to see what Fernando does with our suggestions and what Slysoft comes up with. Whatever it is, i know it will be great!

In which case I'd make a movie only ISO which is still faster and far easier to play than your MKV. What are you using to playback the MKV's? That's my biggest issue with it...if I put a DTS-HD MA track in an MKV, what's going to play it back for me? If I use TSMuxer directly on the disc to rip a movie only copy with selected audio and presentation graphics, not only is it smaller (than the original...wasn't meaning smaller than the MKV which should be identical in size), it still can be mounted and played back in full quality using PowerDVD. I would love to have something that plays MKV at full quality with the presentation graphics still in tact. If I'm mistaken, and that's actually possible, I'd love to know about it. MKV is certainly not a bad choice assuming you can easily play it in full quality.

All very good points. I am just now getting into Blu Ray movies again, now that summer is winding down, so I haven't done extensive testing with my method yet.

I have been using Media Player Classic Home Cinema to playback the MKV files. I have not yet tried to put a DTS-MA track into a MKV, I just have Eac3to re-encode it to FLAC, which should be identical. The fact that the new Popcorn Hour A110 can bitstream DTS-MA and TrueHD is interesting, so I'm now wondering if it is possible to put these two formats into MKV.

Although I usually re-encode the video with x264 to save space, I have been able to put the original untouched video streams into MKV along with FLAC audio, commentary, and chapters. The only thing I have not done yet is presentation graphics. I don't think MKV supports the format used by Blu Rays (at least, not yet), so that is the only thing missing from my method. If that is important to you, then it sounds like a movie-only ISO played with PowerDVD is still the best way to go.

Back