• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-Ray Burner

vze2mp9g

Can anyone tell me what is a good and reliable Blu-Ray Burner (Internal) I had a LG BD burner and it die after a year?
Any help would be appreciated.:rock:

Hi :)
LG are very popular.
I have a couple.
Prefer Pioneer though.
Of which I have 3.

can't go wrong with LG, its the only brand i use. I've used a couple different ones in the past but LG always had the longest life. My BH08 (2nd drive) is quite a few years old now and still goes as strong as if it were brand new

Thanks for the comments and link. My LG Blu-Ray drive died only after 18 months. How do you feel about LiteOn drives? Are they reliable and playback with no problems?
Thank You. :)

Only used em once, died in less then a year. Went straight back to LG. Got this pc now just over 3yrs i think and the lg replacement i had back then after the liteon got thrown into my old rig. That thing hadn't been used in as years up untill a week ago when i needed a test system for my dual boot. That replacement is still working flawless

Thanks for the comments and link. My LG Blu-Ray drive died only after 18 months. How do you feel about LiteOn drives? Are they reliable and playback with no problems?
Thank You. :)

iHBS112 is holding up very well at 1 year, and I would not be without one for their ripping ability. Easily the fastest BD ripper with AnyDVD HD for back-ups vs newer Pio and LG drives. Reading/playback has been flawless, solid burner as well.

Last edited:
Burning Blue Ray's

Can anyone tell me what SOFTWARE is available to burn Blue Rays? ALso which blue ray burner I should get. I was going to get the LG external, is it any good? If not I'd have to switch out my CD?DVD burner and put an internal in its place. If my pc I am using now to burn DVD's will it be good enouogh to burn BR?

Thanks,
Jim

Can anyone tell me what SOFTWARE is available to burn Blue Rays? ALso which blue ray burner I should get. I was going to get the LG external, is it any good? If not I'd have to switch out my CD?DVD burner and put an internal in its place. If my pc I am using now to burn DVD's will it be good enouogh to burn BR?

Thanks,
Jim

There's allot of software out there, for free, there is ImgBurn, and if you want to purchase, you can go with Nero or Roxio's software.

Here's the link for ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/

Your best bet for a Blu-Ray (BD) burner, I would go with an internal burner because, from what I read, you need to take up two USB ports for just the power alone. LG is the one everyone likes, so go with that.

The external LG does use 2 ports for power, but it also uses the same ports for the data so it doesn't use any more than that.

Thanks,
Jim
Imgburn is excellent for BD burning. The burn graph that it provides is extremely useful for assessing how well your hardware/discs are performing. You may also get Cyberlink's software included with your BD burner purchase, which works OK. I would not purchase Nero or Roxio for BD burning.

A USB 2.0 external BD burner is a bad choice that only need be tolerated by someone with a laptop without an internal drive. The USB 2.0 bus is far too slow and unreliable for the data rates used by a BD drive. USB 2.0 data rates are often 12-18 MB/S. With Blu-ray, 1x = 4.5 MB/S. Some computers will choke on trying to manage a 4x burn via USB. The only external that should be considered is ESATA or USB 3.0 .

What computer do you have? Is your current dvd drive a SATA drive?

Last edited:
I often use a USB Blu-ray drive across multiple systems and it has no issues with writing 4 speed discs at 4 speed with no data issues. Even on older systems I've never had less than a 4 speed write and on newer systems I always get 6 speed on 6 speed discs.
If you're only using a drive on 1 system then it makes sense to just have an internal, but if you want something to use across multiple systems then an external works just as well as any of the internals I've used (and I've used hundreds as I'm a system builder) and just as fast on 4x and 6x discs

Last edited:
I often use a USB Blu-ray drive across multiple systems and it has no issues with writing 4 speed discs at 4 speed with no data issues. Even on older systems I've never had less than a 4 speed write and on newer systems I always get 6 speed on 6 speed discs.

As I can't know what to expect from the poster's computer, I play it safe and assume it may have as slow a USB controller as a couple of my older machines.
Forgive me for asking, but have you had a look at your ImgBurn burn graphs to be sure the buffer and write speed were steady?

And I will be glad to amend my poor choice exception to include someone who needs to move a BD burner among several computers :)

Back