• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu-Ray Back-Up Inquiry - Assistance / Feedback Request

PCTools

Here is my issue. I used to back-up my Blu-Ray media using the following software, yet now I am experiencing a problem with the (same) Blu-Ray player.

Software -Updated Versions are used
AnyDVD (HD) and ImgBurn

This is my process:

1) Use option to Video Disk to Hard Disk
2) Upon completed, use ImgBurn to move files to Media (Blu-Ray Disc)

I have a functional disk, when I view the contents and play the movie back on my computer using VLC. But, when inserted in my Panasonic Blu-Ray player it does not read the media.

What do you think I am doing incorrectly?

Thank you.

1st thing you're doing wrong is ripping to folders and not to iso.
2nd thing is, did you allow IMGBurn to correct any incorrect settings when burning? Bd's use UDF 2.50, the wrong UDF could cause issues.
3rd things is, you're not saying what brand of discs you're using. Insert a blank and in IMGBurn click explore. On the right then find the MID or 'Medium Identifier'.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Chsvr0n,

Thanks for the fast response...

1) To solve the first problem, I should use the option in AnyDVD to RIP to Image? (I was using Rip Video Disk to Hard Drive)
2) At the beginning, IMGBurn did seek a problem with the settings and resolved the problem. This was prior to the two discs which failed.
3) I use Verbatim BD-RL 50 Gig (VERBAT-IMf-000) and Optical Quantum BD-R's (MID: PHILIP-R04-000) MID: (CMCMAG-DI6-000)
- I tried the Verbatim BD-R LTH - And never had ANY luck with them. (MID: VERBAT-IMu-000)

Correct me if I am wrong, after the files are then composed on the hard drive:

Use IMG to Write files/folder to disc?

Thank you.

1st thing you're doing wrong is ripping to folders and not to iso.
2nd thing is, did you allow IMGBurn to correct any incorrect settings when burning? Bd's use UDF 2.50, the wrong UDF could cause issues.
3rd things is, you're not saying what brand of discs you're using. Insert a blank and in IMGBurn click explore. On the right then find the MID or 'Medium Identifier'.

Attachments

• Rip to Image.jpg
    Rip to Image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Step 3.jpg
    Step 3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 8
1) drop the optical quantum and avoid the verbatim LTH, LTH uses an organic dye and never was any good. The last manufacturer of those stopped making them in 2013. Stick to the normal verbatim f ones. Those are the good ones.

Yes you should rip to image, but on IMGBurn you then DON'T want to select the one you highlighted. If you did that one, you simply would burn the iso as a file on the disc. That still wouldn't play, it would be like a zip file on a disc. You need the one on the LEFT of that one. 'Write IMAGE file to disc', that will tell IMGBurn to burn the file structure that's inside the iso to the disc.

Note: ALWAYS let IMGBurn correct any settings if it asks you to!

For example if you previously burned a DVD, the filesystem would be set at 1.02, if you didn't let anydvd correct the setting and burned a bluray with that UDF it wouldn't play. Although the file structure would be correct, the filesystem wouldn't be and result in a incompatibility and prevent playback.

So

1. Rip to image with anydvd
2. In anydvd select the top LEFT (write image to disc)
3. If IMGBurn asks you correct any wrong setting, accept it and let it do so

Then simply let it burn and you'll be set. For blanks stick to your VERBAT-IMf-00 and avoid that LTH and optical quantum crap

Without going into technical details why it's better to use iso than folder structure, 1 reason is that ISO is a file container. It adds all the files in 1 big file while keeping disc structure intact.

Last edited:
I performed the task as listed below, yet the disc failed in the Panasonic player as it could not read it.

It appears IMGBurn selects UDF 2.5.

Is UDF 2.5 or 2.6 preferred?

I am doing something wrong somewhere...

For example if you previously burned a DVD, the filesystem would be set at 1.02, if you didn't let anydvd correct the setting and burned a bluray with that UDF it wouldn't play. Although the file structure would be correct, the filesystem wouldn't be and result in a incompatibility and prevent playback.

I think you meant IMGBurn and not AnyDVD.

Attachments

• Failed.jpg
    Failed.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You think wrong, when anydvd creates the iso it copies the correct filesystem UDF 2.50, but that doesn't mean that the last used filesystem in IMGBurn is set to that too. IMGBurn remembers the last used file system.

UDF 2.50 is preferred off course, that's the only valid file system for standard bluray, using 2.60 would be the same as setting IMGBurn to UDF 1.02.

What blanks did you insert? There is no way that true verbatim's only support a write speed of 1.4x. My VERBAT-IMe-00 support up to 12x

I used the Optical Quantum to perform a test.

What is the best way to set the UDF in IMGBurn?

I want to verify and set the value to 2.5. I am struggling with this, and consuming a lot of 50 Gig media.

Again, thanks for all your help!

I think that information is incorrect, as the Optical Quantum disks burn at 6X speeds.

I will make another try, once I determine how to set the UDF to 2.5.

Hopefully, I get this resolved as I am consuming all my 50 Gig media.

BTW, we are both using the same burner and I have the brother to your Panny. I have the BD60.

IMGBurn automatically sets all the correct settings when it detects a bluray structure, if there's an incorrect settings from last time it'll ask you to correct them. If the burn window shows UDF 2.50 then there's nothing u need to do.

Honestly I'd pick up a bd-re ;-) that way of a disc fails you can just erase or and start over. Does the burn complete or fail, of our completes on those optical but still refuses to play, then it sounds like your player just doesn't like that crappy blank brand.

My burners are BH's, yours are WH ;-)

The Panny plays theses disks, as I burned them before about 8 months ago.

I just forgot the process I used to make the burns.

I know it can be done, I just am doing something silly. I will post a step by step list for your review and comment.

By the way, I just used Clone BD, and the disc played perfect on the Panny on both the Verbatim and Optical Quantum disks.

This leads me to believe I have a wrong setting somewhere when using IMGBurn with Anydvd.

Thanks! - We are working now!

I would like to say, thank you for all your efforts in helping me.

I am able to back up some of my disks.

Here is what I think I was doing, which hindered my process.

I did not close AnyDVD during the process of making the copy while using IMGBurn. It never prompted me to close the program. I discovered this while looking thru the logs, as there was a message to turn off AnyDVD while using IMGBurn, but it was not displayed during my process or I just missed it. :bang:

You are absolutely correct about the Verbatim media. It is superior, and the Optical Quantum is low grade rubbish.

Thanks again!!!

PS - Clone BD worked fine for me, but the process is crazy slow for me. It is so much QUICKER to use AnyDVD and IMGBurn.

My thoughts are, do not waste all the time is trying to compress a 50GB movie to fit the format of a 25GB media, as it just takes TOO much time. Just buy the 50GB media and enjoy! All the time spent in conversation is nutz.

The anydvd message you're talking about in IMGBurn has no impact at all if you create the iso with IMGBurn. The message states VERIFY, meaning when IMGBurn verifies that the data is on the disc and correct. Had no effect during burning or iso creating at all.

Rip to iso with anydvd, burn iso with IMGBurn, done.

Though I have to disagree on the 'too much time', that all depends on your system hardware, the price on a blank bd50 is also much higher than a bd25, well worth it in my book.

CH3VRON is right on. I use that procedure (rip to ISO [AnyDVD HD], burn ISO to disc [Imgburn]). I've done many BD25 and 50s with no failures (Verbatim all the way). Also, I use the Imgburn "VERIFY" function and have never had a problem even with AnyDVD HD still being active. Imgburn warns against this but it hasn't ever been an issue with me. My players are all Panny and backups work fine with them. A typical rip is in the 40 minute range (BD50) and the verify about the same.

Back